If You Were To Start Again....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:
Probably a full T&A, MBL or Accuphase system driving ProAc Carbon 8 speakers

Like your style!

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Thanks Mac - have a Happy New Year! :bounce: :bounce:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am starting again and I want to build two separate systems, one with standmounters and one with floorstanders. So far I just bought a Devialet 110 amp.

Now, I might pair the Dev with (passive) standmounters, like the Audiovector Si1 Avantgarde. And then for my other system choose an all-in-one solution like the Avantgarde Zero1 (I'm attracted to 'Avantgarde' apparently :) ).

Alternatively, I could go for the all-in-one solution of Audiovector Si1 Avantgarde Discreet and use the Devialet to drive a pair of Quad ESL 2805s.

Waiting for demo opportunities now...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
I am starting again and I want to build two separate systems, one with standmounters and one with floorstanders. So far I just bought a Devialet 110 amp.

Now, I might pair the Dev with (passive) standmounters, like the Audiovector Si1 Avantgarde. And then for my other system choose an all-in-one solution like the Avantgarde Zero1 (I'm attracted to 'Avantgarde' apparently :) ).

Alternatively, I could go for the all-in-one solution of Audiovector Si1 Avantgarde Discreet and use the Devialet to drive a pair of Quad ESL 2805s.

Waiting for demo opportunities now...

Plenty to choose from at the budget end ...

regards

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Things that only have one on/off switch ...

1. An apt-x Bluetooth speaker

2. A cheap all-in-one for everyday use ... my current choice would be a Yamaha N560D

3. A second system which would be something like a Linn Sekrit DSM + SF Venere 2.5

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I would still go for the Dali Zensor 3s as I don't believe there is anything to better them without spending considerably more money. I'd also go for the Genie 3 with Ortofon 2M Red again, as it is just such a musical turntable/cartridge - to the point where it has pushed my RP3/Elys2 combination to the side-lines.

For the rest of the electronics I would love to be able to find something that combined everything in one box - the streaming abilities of the SB Touch, the CD playing abilities of the Denon 720, and the same quality of amplification as the A30. I'd be very tempted by the Marantz MCR610, but I'd have to try it with the Zensor 3s, at home, to be sure it would give me the quality of sound I've become used to.

Hi Matthew, judging from your signature you did indeed go for the little Marantz, that didn't take you long as you only wrote that last week!

I too have been looking at the marantz, its a very classy looking little thing. How do you find it compares with a separates system and also how does it get along with the Zensors?

matthewpiano

Garett said:
matthewpiano said:
I would still go for the Dali Zensor 3s as I don't believe there is anything to better them without spending considerably more money. I'd also go for the Genie 3 with Ortofon 2M Red again, as it is just such a musical turntable/cartridge - to the point where it has pushed my RP3/Elys2 combination to the side-lines.

For the rest of the electronics I would love to be able to find something that combined everything in one box - the streaming abilities of the SB Touch, the CD playing abilities of the Denon 720, and the same quality of amplification as the A30. I'd be very tempted by the Marantz MCR610, but I'd have to try it with the Zensor 3s, at home, to be sure it would give me the quality of sound I've become used to.

Hi Matthew, judging from your signature you did indeed go for the little Marantz, that didn't take you long as you only wrote that last week!

I too have been looking at the marantz, its a very classy looking little thing. How do you find it compares with a separates system and also how does it get along with the Zensors?

Ha ha! I just got to thinking 'Why can't I start again?'

I'm really delighted with it so far. I'll get a chance to have a really good listening session tomorrow so once I've done that I'll start a thread with a full report, as one or two people have asked.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
bigfish786 said:
...what would you get, and how much would you spend?

If it wasn't my money...

A nice Bang & Olufsen system.

If it were my money...

I've already 'started again' (almost three years ago) and I am still pretty happy with everything.

I'm still curious about ideas for the future (hence a forthcoming demo of some new Quad actives in the New Year) but no immediate 'itch'.

Whatever happens, i'll never want a traditional seperates system again.

I started again, 15 months ago, and have put together a nice Bang & Olufsen system.

I have zero regrets, other than to wonder why the h**l I didn't do it decades ago, instead of faffing about obsessively with separates and getting caught up in the whole audiophile hype & neurotic ownership experience - its simply that good, and an absolute joy to live with.

I would never so much as even contemplate going back to a separates system ever again either.

My Hifi Eagle has landed... :bounce:

Happy New Year

JMac... 8)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Think now, think budget - I'll demo next week Zensor's 3 and see how it compares with Q300's

Think bigger - Electrocompaniet or Accuphase amp/ dac/ streamer with PMC's or Harbeth's

Think even bigger - House with nicely shaped living room, good for children & wife, good for stereo, good for guests...

so yeah.. a little audition next week for start :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Active speakers fed by my Mac Mini. In fact I'm seriously considering selling everything except my TD160, CD63 KI and DR-1 (for nostalgic reasons) and doing just that.The simplicity attracts me enormously, and the sooner I whack the stuff on the market, the better, I think, because nothing I own is appreciating in value.

matthewpiano

lpv said:
Think now, think budget - I'll demo next week Zensor's 3 and see how it compares with Q300's

Think bigger - Electrocompaniet or Accuphase amp/ dac/ streamer with PMC's or Harbeth's

Think even bigger - House with nicely shaped living room, good for children & wife, good for stereo, good for guests...

so yeah.. a little audition next week for start :)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Zensor 3s.

matthewpiano

MajorFubar said:
Active speakers fed by my Mac Mini. In fact I'm seriously considering selling everything except my TD160, CD63 KI and DR-1 (for nostalgic reasons) and doing just that.The simplicity attracts me enormously, and the sooner I whack the stuff on the market, the better, I think, because nothing I own is appreciating in value.

This thread got me thinking and I ended up asking myself 'why not?'

So far I'm delighted with the outcome.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

There's a speaker company down in Gloucestershire that will supply you with a very nice speaker that will do exactly that. Just £1250 plus a sub if you feel you need one. Brainwashing is optional, but free.

Actually this exact system appeals to me too, in a big way. With the mini out of sight, everything controlled from an iPad, just a pair of speakers on view. Even Mrs DDC could live with that.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
In terms of strategy, there's one thing I'd do differently. I'd do a home demo of some active speakers at a price point equivalent to my gear, e.g. ATCs or PMCs. But now that I've committed myself to the passive route, it's too late.

I did a dealer demo of the ATC SCM20ASLTs, but found them unbearably dry and unable to recreate acoustic instruments. They might have sounded better at home. Or maybe not.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
If I were to start from scratch now, I'd just go with either a Marantz 610 or Arcam Solo Neo and, possibly, PMC DB1is.

475px-The_Scream.jpg

I have a feeling a lot has to do with 'upgrade fatigue'. Expectations, when spending considerable amounts of money, are high, quite rightly so ... but are not always met. Been there, done it. - Sometimes its good to go back to 'basics' as a leveller. I've done that once and only had the what was then first generation Denon Micro and highly praised (still is).

It didn't last forever needless to say but there is a lot to be said about diminishing returns with increasing cost. It is also arguably more amazing what a little thing like the Denon (or in this case the Marantz 610) can do for the price than something costing many times more where you'd almost expect perfection ... which of course is never attained.

What I would say is perhaps buy the little Marantz but don't yet sell your other stuff, that is if you can afford it and if your basically happy with the set-up. If then, after some time you find you don't miss the expensive hifi, by all means, sell but there are certain things a Micro in that price range probably can't do. They may not be important though.

regards

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
MajorFubar said:

There's a speaker company down in Gloucestershire that will supply you with a very nice speaker that will do exactly that. Just £1250 plus a sub if you feel you need one. Brainwashing is optional, but free.

Actually this exact system appeals to me too, in a big way. With the mini out of sight, everything controlled from an iPad, just a pair of speakers on view. Even Mrs DDC could live with that.

lol yes, I've been looking there. But don't worry, I will be retaining my sanity (or what's left of it), no matter what I do :)

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
If I were to start from scratch now, I'd just go with either a Marantz 610 or Arcam Solo Neo and, possibly, PMC DB1is.

475px-The_Scream.jpg

I had the same reaction! Not the post I expected from the Penguin of Plastic.

What post were you expecting piano of the Matthew? :grin:

:rofl: I'm not sure, just not that!

matthewpiano said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

475px-The_Scream.jpg

:rofl: I'm not sure, just not that!

Perhaps a Jack Russell sitting by a horned speaker? ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

475px-The_Scream.jpg

Something that makes connecting the digital audio output from your HD TV and it's peripherals (all with one simple optical cable) impossible and employing SCART and the analogue outputs from an ancient DVD recorder (with SD Freeview only) instead.

(In such a way that HD Freeview on the TV is cleverly bypassed in favour of the DVD recorder's SD tuner.)

Half a dozen FM tuners of varying vintage but no FM roof antenna.

A CD player and an amp that cannot boast even one (externally usable) DAC between them.

Three miles of cables and two racks to hold everything.

A high 'box-count'. (Can't help noticing another one is about to join the fold in the shape of an outboard TT PSU.)

Ensuring the near impossibility of ethernet connection (for streaming) by locating the router in the attic, or shed, or Ma-In-Law's (or wherever is furthest from the system).

NO 'DIGI-BOXES' ! (You have said this so often that I struggled with your mention of the M-CR610.)

I don't think you'd actually enjoy your system unless all these (or similar) difficulties and restrictions were built in.

Some of what I wrote might now be 'historical' (or at least a bit exagerrated :) ) but I think I have encapsulated the way you like things.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts