IET, Bi-wiring does not work and other myths

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

pauln said:
manicm said:
To my mind listening to music in the dark is more-or-less the equivalent of blind-testing, because you're not being distracted by sight, or the location of your hifi or speakers. And you're not looking at your hifi. You're naturally pushed to listen to the music.

Are you being disingeuous here?

You still know what equipment you're listening to, even in the dark ffs!

What I meant is you could do this in demo rooms where you don't know what the equipment is. What I also meant is you are just as likely to notice both flaws and strengths even in a known system you thought you were familiar with.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
davedotco said:
You would think so but it is not born out by the evidence which shows that long term tests are less likely to be effective than short term tests.

On the other hand, I can clearly remenber a time when I had a very enjoyable entry level system. Having a bit of money to spend I bought a new amplifier, about 3 times the cost of my existing one. The new amp was clearly better, in all respects, I could here that clearly and I showed it off to all my friends.

After a couple of months I simply found that I was not listening to my music anywhere near as much as before, and when I did I was listening to just a few tracks, rather than playing music all night as had been the case before.

I could not get my old amp back so I ended up changing the whole system, at considerable cost before the enjoyment returned.

Make of that what you will.

After 'a couple of months you found you were not listening to your mucis as much'... so you've just contradicted yourself with regards to long term tests not being effective.

No sh*t Sherlock...... That was kind of the point......... :rofl:

I have said often enough that I do not wish to be pedantic, many things in hifi are not black and white, so I was giving an example, from my own experience, where my personal observations, however unconciously formed, were at odds with the established (objective) point of view.

Really just pointing out that neither I, nor the rest of the hifi community, can be sure of what is going on all the time.

I'm with Donald Rumsfeld on this, not a thing I ever expected to say in public....... ;)

manicm

davedotco said:

I have said often enough that I do not wish to be pedantic, many things in hifi are not black and white, so I was giving an example, from my own experience, where my personal observations, however unconciously formed, were at odds with the established (objective) point of view.

Really just pointing out that neither I, nor the rest of the hifi community, can be sure of what is going on all the time.

I'm with Donald Rumsfeld on this, not a thing I ever expected to say in public....... ;)

I agree totally, sometimes in hifi, as in life, things are not quite in black and white.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
davedotco said:

I agree totally, sometimes in hifi, as in life, things are not quite in black and white.

Except in the dark apparently....... :roll:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts