Icon Audio tubes driving ATC speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

It's been quite a quest to find amplification that might drive my ATC SCM40s with the tonality that I thought they were capable of. They have the most astonishing mid with pretty much any amplification that I've tried, but getting the treble and bass right, to my ears anyway, was proviing more elusive.
I've auditioned quite a bit of solid state amplification including the rather lovely Perreaux 250i, which really got the bass working. The treble still wasn't quite right with massed strings etc. though (could be down to the Creek Destiny cdp a friend loaned me for the dem though)..

I'm hoping that I've found a 'solution' as have just demmed the Icon Audio 845 Signature monoblocks (90w triode design). Unfortunately, there was no dealer in London for Icon. So,hearing that the Icon chaps had a pair of SCM19s to hand I popped up to Leicester for a listen. The Icons drove the 19s with consummate ease, with a bass that astonished me (I thought I was back with my 40s driven by the 250 watt Perreaux again). I took along recordings which though beloved are quite difficult, and whatever I threw at the Icons they always sounded musical. Though they did not mask flaws or throw a veil over detail they managed to find tonality that I had not heard before (Fournier's Bach Cello Suites and Pires's Chopin Nocturnes were transformed). Adrian, the v helpful and patient chap at Icon took my astonishment in his stride, not realising perhaps how grim the recordings I played had sounded elsewhere. I think he might be quite used to a violin actually sounding like a violin rather than a high frequency squeak.

For a source, we were using the signature version of Icon's new valve cd player, the CDX1, which in this system with cds, sounded to me like an exceptional player and extremely good value. In fact I preferred it to a couple of players I had recently heard at twice the price or more. It has digital inputs, too (coax and opt. though no USB). So FLAC files etc. should be well accommodated by its 24-bit 192kHz upsampling DAC. I didn't listen to any PC files at the dem, however.

I'm hoping that the 845s will drive my 40s as well as they did the 19s, which though sharing the same 85dB sensitivity are a smaller speaker without an independent bass driver. Both have a very flat impedance curve though. So, fingers crossed.

Combining ATCs with valves is, I believe, something of a rarity. Has anyone else out there had any experience of this? I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who's heard the 40s and what cabling you've preferred.

Cheers,
Gena

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Gena:
Hi,

It's been quite a quest to find amplification that might drive my ATC SCM40s with the tonality that I thought they were capable of. They have the most astonishing mid with pretty much any amplification that I've tried, but getting the treble and bass right, to my ears anyway, was proviing more elusive.
I've auditioned quite a bit of solid state amplification including the rather lovely Perreaux 250i, which really got the bass working. The treble still wasn't quite right with massed strings etc. though (could be down to the Creek Destiny cdp a friend loaned me for the dem though)..

I'm hoping that I've found a 'solution' as have just demmed the Icon Audio 845 Signature monoblocks (90w triode design). Unfortunately, there was no dealer in London for Icon. So,hearing that the Icon chaps had a pair of SCM19s to hand I popped up to Leicester for a listen. The Icons drove the 19s with consummate ease, with a bass that astonished me (I thought I was back with my 40s driven by the 250 watt Perreaux again). I took along recordings which though beloved are quite difficult, and whatever I threw at the Icons they always sounded musical. Though they did not mask flaws or throw a veil over detail they managed to find tonality that I had not heard before (Fournier's Bach Cello Suites and Pires's Chopin Nocturnes were transformed). Adrian, the v helpful and patient chap at Icon took my astonishment in his stride, not realising perhaps how grim the recordings I played had sounded elsewhere. I think he might be quite used to a violin actually sounding like a violin rather than a high frequency squeak.

For a source, we were using the signature version of Icon's new valve cd player, the CDX1, which in this system with cds, sounded to me like an exceptional player and extremely good value. In fact I preferred it to a couple of players I had recently heard at twice the price or more. It has digital inputs, too (coax and opt. though no USB). So FLAC files etc. should be well accommodated by its 24-bit 192kHz upsampling DAC. I didn't listen to any PC files at the dem, however.

I'm hoping that the 845s will drive my 40s as well as they did the 19s, which though sharing the same 85dB sensitivity are a smaller speaker without an independent bass driver. Both have a very flat impedance curve though. So, fingers crossed.

Combining ATCs with valves is, I believe, something of a rarity. Has anyone else out there had any experience of this? I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who's heard the 40s and what cabling you've preferred.

Cheers,
Gena

The 845's are astonishing amps. Good choice and well done. I think they will cope with anything you throw at them and they will also remove that "dryness" that is sometimes associated with ATC. Can't think of a better combo including ATC's own amps.

A

Anonymous

Hi Chebby,

Yes, I heard the 40s with ATC amplification (CA2 and P1) and the Bryston BCD-1 as a source and though I don't doubt the quality of any of these products, it didn't quite hit the spot for me. I was looking for a bit more texture in strings etc. It would be interesting to hear the Icon cd into ATC amplification, as that on it's own would, I think, give a richer tone.

Cheers,

Gena

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Richard. That's reassuring. It is exactly that touch of dryness that comes to the fore, unsurprisingly, on the not so few dry or thin recordings in my collection that I was trying to address.
Ta, Gena

Gena:
Hi,

Cheers,
Gena

Hi Gena

Valve amplifiers also work well with ATC monitors. I've got clients happily using Audio Research, Audio Note and McIntosh amplification with ATC monitors (including SCM40's).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks v much, Rick.It's helpful to get input from someone who knows ATC as well as you do. I'd certainly never heard the 19s sounding nearly as fluid and open as they did with the Icon 845s. So, hoping my 40s will sound even better. All best, Gena

A

Anonymous

My current speaker cable is Chord Oddyssey 2, (silver-plated ofc) and I'd been wondering about going for a straightforward multistrand ofc with no silver.and more strands. I imagine that it's something like this that you are recommending for the SCM40s, Rick.
Cheers, Gena

Gena:
My current speaker cable is Chord Oddyssey 2, (silver-plated ofc) and I'd been wondering about going for a straightforward multistrand ofc with no silver.and more strands. I imagine that it's something like this that you are recommending for the SCM40s, Rick.
Cheers, Gena

Hi Gena

Yes, standard multistrand OFC speaker cables with at least 79 strands or better still with several hundred strands of OFC. These are the speaker cables i've mostly been using with ATC passive monitors for the last five years now. These standard speaker cables are easy to use and cost very little money. Simply put i feel these standard speaker cables are realistically about as good they get
emotion-2.gif

The simpler the better
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Gena. Just a +1 in regards to Ricks multi strand heads up. I recently knocked up a couple of runs using 762 strand ofc which i got from a certain intraweb auction site. 20 metres + 8 Black Rhodium bananas + a bit of heatshrink and sheathing set me back around 65 quid. Plumbed them into my 845s, all fine and dandy. David at Icon dosnt bother using fancy cables either if you noticed.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you Floyd. I'll check that out. Sounds like an excellent idea.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gena,
I'm posting you in the hope you're still an avid reader of this forum.
I was just interested in which source and amplification you settled on? and interested if you did go for the Icon.
I will be home demoing the SCM 40's myself tomorrow and as you see from my sig, have a Sugden amp, whilst not a valve, it is class A which does tend to have valve characteristics. So I'm curious to hear of any further comments you may have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts