Iced-up LNB

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
In the appalling weather we enjoyed here last night, our Freesat signal packed up, and when I went outside to investigate I found a large cap of ice had formed over the end of the LNB, although the actual dish is clear. I can reach this fairly easily, so my question is would it be OK to clear the ice (which is about 1" thick) with warm water? Also, would any kind of reset then be necessary, assuming nothing has moved?

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
As it can reach below minus 40c in Norway, I sometimes have to go outside and de-ice my sat system.
I have a 1.2 metre ChannelMaster dish, to ensure I get Sky & FreeSat in all weather conditions, so that attracts a lot of ice & snow.
Most professional installations actually have heating elements inside the dish itself, but I use a trusty pump & spray device similar to what you would use in the garden for watering the flowers, only I use warm water.
Please make sure that all your electrical connections are waterproof before doing this!

No resetting should be required even if you have lost your signal for several days.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, guys - done and sorted with a little warm water carefully applied. Actually, the snow has thawed a bit, so it wasn't too bad.

Thanks again, and have a great Crimble!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts