HD Dilema - Freesat vs Sky vs Virgin Media

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've just moved into a new flat which potentially has the infrastructure already in place to allow me to have either Freesat, Virgin Media or Sky to satisfy my HD cravings.

I had initially been leaning towards Freesat as there's already a dish outside and a cable running into the flat. After the initial outlay on the box (Humax Foxsat HDR) there would be no additional charge. However there's only a single cable therefore i would need to arrange for a quad LNB to be fitted to allow me to have the second cable necessary to watch one channel and record another - a feature I've grown accustomed to with my current SD Humax PVR. Anyone know how much this would likely cost? Would I need to pay the full installation charge as places like Comet appear to be charging silly money. I had considered doing it myself but not sure about this. Secondly, and possibly more importantly, the HD content on Freesat is still very limited.

Therefore I've been considering my options. I've just worked out from their website that it'd cost me £35 p/month on top of the box and setup to have the Sky package that I'd want and I'm not sure I want to (or can) pay that each month and they'd still need to upgrade the dish/cable arrangement to accommodate the twin tuners. However Sky appear to have the best HD content.

I know less about Virgin Media and I can't quickly see from their website if i can get the tv package without getting my phone and broadband from them too (I've just renewed my BT Broadband contract). Can someone let me know if this is possible. If it's not that reduces my options to Freesat and Sky.

Any constructive suggestions/warnings/recommendations to help me with this HD Gordian Knot welcomed.

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
RandomTarget:Hi

I've just moved into a new flat which potentially has the infrastructure already in place to allow me to have either Freesat, Virgin Media or Sky to satisfy my HD cravings.

I had initially been leaning towards Freesat as there's already a dish outside and a cable running into the flat. After the initial outlay on the box (Humax Foxsat HDR) there would be no additional charge. However there's only a single cable therefore i would need to arrange for a quad LNB to be fitted to allow me to have the second cable necessary to watch one channel and record another - a feature I've grown accustomed to with my current SD Humax PVR. Anyone know how much this would likely cost? Would I need to pay the full installation charge as places like Comet appear to be charging silly money. I had considered doing it myself but not sure about this. Secondly, and possibly more importantly, the HD content on Freesat is still very limited.

Therefore I've been considering my options. I've just worked out from their website that it'd cost me £35 p/month on top of the box and setup to have the Sky package that I'd want and I'm not sure I want to (or can) pay that each month and they'd still need to upgrade the dish/cable arrangement to accommodate the twin tuners. However Sky appear to have the best HD content.

I know less about Virgin Media and I can't quickly see from their website if i can get the tv package without getting my phone and broadband from them too (I've just renewed my BT Broadband contract). Can someone let me know if this is possible. If it's not that reduces my options to Freesat and Sky.

Any constructive suggestions/warnings/recommendations to help me with this HD Gordian Knot welcomed.

Thanks

Basically, if you want to watch HD tv, Sky is your only real choice. Virgin offers you BBC HD and that's it. It's also not that cheap, especially for what you get and I think the phone line is included. Freesat is a good option if you can deal without Sky Sports and the film channels. Again though, ITV, C4 and BBC HD is not a lot if you want HD channels.

daveh75

Although not a fan,if it's HD content you want then Sky's the only option really.

If you go the Freesat HDR route dont use the retailer's installation service you'll find it cheaper getting in a local independent Aerial/Satellite engineer.As you already have a dish up and would just require an LNB change/extra cabling it should only cost around £40-£50 max TBH. Make sure you use a CAI approved installer, check out their site here for an approved installer in your area.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input.

Looks like I'll need to start saving for sky.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts