Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Good morning, over the week I’ve started to rip my cd collection to my laptop. I’m using I tunes and doing as an apple lossless rip. So far so good.

I was intending to buy a second hand I pad and to transfer the albums from laptop to I pad so that I could connect via usb to my Marantz unit. I’ve noticed that any album I rip shows up on my I phone in the Apple Music app, so my question is when it shows up on my phone is it also as a lossless quality. This would save me buying an I pad as I can connect my phone via usb to the Marantz unit. Any help/advice appreciated.

Regards.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
it looks you are apple music subscriber so all your rips etc are available on all your apple devices via iCloud?

if so, your rips on your phone are 256 AAC

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
yeah, once you stop apple music subscription you wont see your rips on any iphone or ipad under the same iCloud account.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok, just one last question. If I don’t continue with the subscription to Apple Music is there a way I could transfer the rips from my laptop to an I pad. The reason I want to do this is because my laptop won’t connect to the Marantz unit. Thanks.

insider9

Not sure how much has changed but you'd usually sync it via your iTunes library. Just make sure you're not compressing them while doing this.

Depending memory available on your iPad and amount of music you have this may not be an ideal scenario. As ALAC will roughly take up 1GB per 3 albums just as FLAC would.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
connect iPda to computer running itunes.

go to that iPad icon > music.. and you ready to sync

if you are using different player than apple own player you can upload music via files sharing

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All the above is correct, but to summarise it all in one place:
1) Although your ripped albums appear on your phone via Apple Music, they're AAC lossy conversions, or they are the version of the song stored in the iTunes store. Either way, they are not CD quality.
2) When your trial is up, this automatic sync'ing will stop, unless you subscibe to iTunes Match. In the UK that's £25 a year.
3) Technically you can store lossless versions of your entire library on an iPhone or iPad, using iTunes to sync between the computer and your mobile device. But unless you've only got a small collection of CDs and you tend not to download apps, you'll need a very large iPad/iPhone to accommodate the file sizes.
4) You can use the iDevice's Music app to play your ripped iTunes library, but for your iDevice to see it, iTunes must be running on a host Mac or PC computer on the same wifi, or you need a NAS capable of running as an iTunes server.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That’s gonna take a lot of memory lol. The unit I have is an Mcr510. I’m thinking it might be easier to buy the Mcr611 from richer sounds. They were selling it for approx £250 the other week.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
if it’s mcr510 then you have airplay so no need to connect via cable. you can stream from itunes to marantz, no cables.. use airplay

insider9

Could you connect a USB storage directly to your Marantz? When I've used a mini system like this (Onkyo) that's how I had my music. 64GB USB stick with the music I wanted to listen to. I could either operate it from an app or a remote. Straight forward and no messing with cables, network, etc.

Best part a USB stick of that size will cost £25 or so. For around £40 you can have a 128GB version that depending on size of your library might suffice.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
u can connect usb stick or even hard drive.. one issue here that you need to disconnect it when you want to add more files then it takes time ( depending on library) to read it all again

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Bloody hell, it’s never straight forward is it. This all started as I be a couple of albums on cd that I would anted to buy on record. Went onto Discogs and the cheapest I could find the LP for was £100!!!

I could use AirPlay no problem, I’ve done this on my phone when listening to the radio, but I’ve still got to get all my CDs onto the iPad.

The Usb flash drive stick sounds like an alternative or maybe a 2nd Hand iPod from the bay, I’m pretty sure I could connect that to the Marantz.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The Mcr611 plays cds. So I would have no need to do any ripping etc. Not really what I wanted to do but that’s life. All I wanted was to be able to put my cds onto something so I could play them.

iMark

Obviously you could transfer your ripped CDs from your iTunes library on your computer to iPad. All you have to do is to connect the iPad to the computer holding the iTunes library.

However, if you're not taking the iPad with you to listen to your CDs you might as use the iPad (or an iPhone) as the remote control for your iTunes library and stream your ripped CD's from your computer to your sound system.

We do a similar thing with a very old iPad (1st generation) that has hardly got any use left. But the remote app for iTunes still works!

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The problem was that the I pad probably wouldn’t have enough memory for all the cds. Anyway, I found an old flash drive and put 5 albums into it and it as able to plug it into the mcr510 and play the albums that way, thanks for the heads up the insider, I hadn’t considered that.

Can I just check that when I’m ripping my cds im doing it as ‘apple lossless encoder’ it also offers the option of AAC encoder and AIFF encoder. Which one offers the best quality. Also when I send them to my flash drive are they being compressed?

Appreciate the advice people.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Gonepostal said:
Good morning, over the week I’ve started to rip my cd collection to my laptop. I’m using I tunes and doing as an apple lossless rip. So far so good.

I was intending to buy a second hand I pad and to transfer the albums from laptop to I pad so that I could connect via usb to my Marantz unit. I’ve noticed that any album I rip shows up on my I phone in the Apple Music app, so my question is when it shows up on my phone is it also as a lossless quality. This would save me buying an I pad as I can connect my phone via usb to the Marantz unit. Any help/advice appreciated.

Regards.

You should be able to transfer the files to your iPhone or iPad by synchronising it with your laptop via iTunes. Depending on the settings you choose, iTunes will transfer the original Apple Lossless files or create lower bit rate AAC versions.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Gonepostal said:
Can I just check that when I’m ripping my cds im doing it as ‘apple lossless encoder’ it also offers the option of AAC encoder and AIFF encoder. Which one offers the best quality. Also when I send them to my flash drive are they being compressed?

Appreciate the advice people.

AIFF uses no compression, Apple Lossless uses lossless compression and AAC uses lossy compression. AIFF and Apple Lossless should sound exactly alike, unless your player is mucking something up.

iMark

If you rip 100 CDs in Apple Lossless you roughly need half the memory of what the original CDs would have taken. A CD is on avarage about 500MB, ripped in Apple Lossless around 250 to 300MB. For 100 CDs in Apple Lossless on the iPad you would at least 30GB. Not many older iPads were sold with that much memory, so I can see the problem there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts