I regret getting rid of....

F

FunkyMonkey

My first stereo amp. A Denon PM-250 (or similar) if memory serves. Bought after demoing this in combo with other components, all based on What HiFi 5* recommendations, back in 1998-ish.

An awesome "budget" amp, that was clear and insightful at all volume levels. A feature that I miss on even mid-range to expensive AV receivers, i.e. consistent performance at all volume levels.

Sold it to fund my first AV receiver. Didn't cut it for music. So got a 2 channel marantz that I still have and love, but not quite as delectable to listen to as the Denon. (Different, not worse.)

This begs a question in me - why have I never bought a Denon AV receiver (or any other denon component)? If I ever go for a 3D receiver, I might just do that!

idc

My first 'hifi' amp was the PMA 250SE, was it that one?

pma250se.jpg

F

FunkyMonkey

Yey, that's the one. My mate still has it cos I sold it to him, but he refuses to even swop it for my much swankier Marantz even though he has a Marantz CD player.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:AVI Neutron Vs

and the reason was?

new tattoo? trip to Paris? Bruichladdich single malt?

Sliced Bread

My old all Sony separates (with Sony speakers). Cannot remember the model number, but that thing was surprisingly musical. Very little bass, but it timed really well and was a surprisingly talented communicator.

I would just sit there all night with a short, listening to music. But being a student, I got rid of it for MORE BASS, thinking it'll give me more music. What a mistake!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
FunkyMonkey:Yey, that's the one. My mate still has it cos I sold it to him, but he refuses to even swop it for my much swankier Marantz even though he has a Marantz CD player.

I bought my Dad one of these second hand off ebay for about £60 recently. It's in perfect condition and he has just bought some BR5s to go with it. All I will say is that the last budget amp I listened to (a Nad at the towers) was not as good as the Denon.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:brittondave:

JohnDuncan:AVI Neutron Vs

and the reason was?

new tattoo? trip to Paris? Bruichladdich single malt?

Skintness

ouch.................sorry

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:brittondave:ouch.................sorry No need. I'm a feast and famine kinda guy* *today - feast

I'm feasting at the mo............... just put an order
emotion-51.gif
in to an american company..........

details to follow in a few weeks I guess

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Well I had another pair of Grados arrive today, though they're taking something of a back seat to the 450 quid in-ears I've borrowed briefly...

they make in-ears that expensive
emotion-3.gif

what are they?

John Duncan

JamesOK:
JohnDuncan:Shure SE535. Oh. My. God.

Youve borrowed someones in ears?
emotion-41.gif

emotion-1.gif

They were just lying around. Nobody frisked me on the way out*. What's a boy to do?

* though they did wonder why I appeared to have a small arthropod in each ear

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JamesOK:
JohnDuncan:Shure SE535. Oh. My. God.

Youve borrowed someones in ears?
emotion-41.gif

emotion-1.gif

They were just lying around. Nobody frisked me on the way out*. What's a boy to do?

* though they did wonder why I appeared to have a small arthropod in each ear

Understood, you found a good (if temporary) home from some rather swanky in ears, rather than removing them from someone elses potentially manky ears and inserting in your own. What a great job you have there JD...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:And after five minutes in my ears, who's gonna want them back? Job done...

genius

have a look for some in ear EB2's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts