I really thought this was a spoof

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
MrReaper182 said:
bigboss said:
If you think RA is a rip off, you haven't seen what Audiocom International charges for modifying your equipment. :)

Their will always be fools who are easily parted with their money.

There will always be people that want the best, whatever that may mean. You (and I) are obviously not two of them.

Just because you pay lots for something does not always mean your getting the best. There are a lot of dishonest sellers out there.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
drummerman said:
MrReaper182 said:
bigboss said:
If you think RA is a rip off, you haven't seen what Audiocom International charges for modifying your equipment. :)

There will always be people that want the best, whatever that may mean. You (and I) are obviously not two of them.

Just because you pay lots for something does not always mean your getting the best. There are a lot of dishonest sellers out there.

Oh, I agree.

Have you compared the two boxes?

bigboss said:

I have, and some of their upgrades have a point, although somewhat overpriced, they have some potential which is more than can be said of your usual snake-oil merchants. Having said that I have no intention of sending my Oppo off just yet.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
bigboss said:

I have, and some of their upgrades have a point, although somewhat overpriced, they have some potential which is more than can be said of your usual snake-oil merchants. Having said that I have no intention of sending my Oppo off just yet.

Can't be bigger snake oil than The Upgrade Company LLC.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
drummerman said:
MrReaper182 said:
drummerman said:
MrReaper182 said:
bigboss said:

Oh, I agree.

Don't do Sky anymore after the wind and rain interfered with my satallite dish causing me to get a bad pitcure on my TV in the very early 2000's. Sky's solution was wait untill the wind and rain had stoped and then continue watching my program. I've was not best inpressed with their advice. Leaving was a pain in the ass too. Total waste of my money. Also at 611.00 quid there would be no chance of that happing even if I still was a sky customer as that is silly money to spend on a Sky box. So the answer to your question is no.

So, its a no.

Do you think the 60day money back/return policy RA offer is fair?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
MrReaper182 said:
drummerman said:
MrReaper182 said:
bigboss said:

Oh, I agree.

Don't do Sky anymore after the wind and rain interfered with my satallite dish causing me to get a bad pitcure on my TV in the very early 2000's. Sky's solution was wait untill the wind and rain had stoped and then continue watching my program. I was not best inpressed with their advice. Leaving was a pain in the ass too. Total waste of my money. Also at 611.00 quid there would be no chance of that happing even if I still was a sky customer as that is silly money to spend on a Sky box. So the answer to your question is no.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
bigboss said:

Not come across them but just to mention there was no snake oil involved in TE's upgrades to Pioneer CDPs, just look at what an Eikos goes for, if you can find one.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
bigboss said:

Not come across them but just to mention there was no snake oil involved in TE's upgrades to Pioneer CDPs, just look at what an Eikos goes for, if you can find one.

No, no. This is a legit snake oil vendor with forum shills, lawsuits, the full package. If you open the lid you void his warranty, which is a clever way of preventing you notice he just wrapped cooking tin foil on few wires and nothing else. The owner is not an EE, but a psychology major. ;)

If you want to spare two afternoons of your time, these threads are hugely entertaining. Beats anything in theater or cinema atm.
regular_smile.gif

Original thread / Sequel

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
bigboss said:

No, no. This is a legit snake oil vendor with forum shills, lawsuits, the full package. If you open the lid you void his warranty, which is a clever way of preventing you notice he just wrapped cooking tin foil on few wires and nothing else. The owner is not an EE, but a psychology major. ;)

If you want to spare two afternoons of your time, these threads are hugely entertaining. Beats anything in theater or cinema atm.

Original thread / Sequel

You lost me....., which particularly vendor are you now referring to?

EDIT: Sorry just clicked the link....... ignore.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Its called freedom of speech.

On this forum? Heavily 'policed' as it is by those who strive on a daily basis to prevent healthy debate? You're having a laugh. Sometimes I have to pinch myself reading the threads on this forum. Seems to be almost entirely populated by the anti-Hifi brigade.

Don't buy this it's rubbish. Don't buy that it's a rip off. All of this is snake oil. etc. etc. Ever thought of perhaps pursuing a new hobby? You know, one you are actually interested in?

Russ Andrews offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Am lost therefore as to why (another) thread like this actually exists.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
There are plenty of people on this site who've spent far more than £611 on a receiver, blu ray player etc which will perform better than a unit costing half that price although the performance doesn't increase exponentially just ebcause you've spent lots of money.

If you watch a lot of Sky TV and doen't see yourself leaving then this makes a reasonable upgrade to me (although the wooden feet do look a bit stupid).

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Native_bon said:

On this forum? Heavily 'policed' as it is by those who strive on a daily basis to prevent healthy debate? You're having a laugh. Sometimes I have to pinch myself reading the threads on this forum. Seems to be almost entirely populated by the anti-Hifi brigade.

Don't buy this it's rubbish. Don't buy that it's a rip off. All of this is snake oil. etc. etc. Ever thought of perhaps pursuing a new hobby? You know, one you are actually interested in?

Russ Andrews offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Am lost therefore as to why (another) thread like this actually exists.

And a another lot will probably spring up in the next 6 months and we will do this all other again. Anyway I said what I thought and you nor anyone esle can stop me from saying that how ever much you may want too. As long as my posts are not insulting anyone then I'm free to say what ever I like about a product.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Gazzip said:
Native_bon said:

And a another lot will probably spring up in the next 6 months and we will do this all other again. Anyway I said what I thought and you nor anyone esle can stop me from saying that how ever much you may want too. As long as my posts are not insulting anyone then I'm free to say what ever I like about a product.

Yes, you certainly did do that :)

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
If you want to improve the sound of your Sky box then hook it up to a av receiver. A 200 quid one from Sony will do the job. If you want to improve the picture of your Sky box buy a nice TV. Job done and you have not wasted any money.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
If you want to improve the sound of your Sky box then hook it up to a av receiver. A 200 quid one from Sony will do the job. If you want to improve the picture of your Sky box buy a nice TV. Job done and you have not wasted any money.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It may well improve performance but by how much?... Do they do the Oppo as well?... The oppo 105 distortion levels are so minimun its almost impossible to measure. Audible improvements, I really doubt it. Almost £700 for the upgrade? *lol*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
IT CAN'T AFFECT DIGITAL VIDEO HDMI IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE.

It's a bloody settop box with wooden feet!

Ah, the ol'e anti-audiophool noughts and ones stable forum fodder ... :)

Anyways children, would love to continue to defend RA even though I don't really care ... but must get some much needed beauty sleep .

Nite nite

In case no one noticed, they managed to spell the name of the product wrongly, missing the 'r' out of Andrews! :D

Anyway, I have complained to the ASA about unsubstantiated claims of "improved performance". Let's see what they say.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
IT CAN'T AFFECT DIGITAL VIDEO HDMI IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE.

It's a bloody settop box with wooden feet!

Ah, the ol'e anti-audiophool noughts and ones stable forum fodder ... :)

Anyways children, would love to continue to defend RA even though I don't really care ... but must get some much needed beauty sleep .

Nite nite

I don't really care if naive people give him their money. I'm just here for the chuckles. ;)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
- IEC socket replaces existing figure 8 socket, which is additionally earthed to the chassis. This allows you to use your choice of mains cable fitted with a standard IEC plug – choose from any in our range of mains cables, from the PowerMax Plus upwards - and earthing the casework brings about further sound quality improvements

- Silencer components are fitted to the IEC input. Silencer reduces mains noise giving a smoother sound with less sibilance and better picture quality. SuperClamp components fitted along with the Silencer help to reduce mains spikes and surges

- Optical and coaxial digital outputs component upgrades. Key capacitor upgrades on the optical and coaxial digital outputs have a large effect on sound quality, allowing a smoother and more natural sound

- HDMI output upgrades. Key component upgrades to HDMI outputs improve picture and sound quality

- Power supply capacitors upgraded. Upgrading power supply capacitors has a marked effect in performance, giving a cleaner, sweeter sound

- Big Cone Feet (included loose) can be fitted to the unit. We include three Big Cone Feet with the unit for best support and performance.

- Capacitor upgrades to tuner input. Our tests show this brings large improvements in sound and picture quality

- Fitted with Clarity Mains filter. In addition to the Silencer we also add a Clarity Mains filter to the box for even more noise reduction producing clearer, cleaner sound and vision

99% of components in the box are SMD, impossible to screw arround with the circuit except replace discrete throughole components, though I doubt they changed those either. You can't improve digital video HDMI by swapping caps, wires, opamps and cone feet. FFS! *lol*

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
tonky said:
It's really moving along nicely - but as a what hi-fi forum it's wrongly named these days.

tonky

Actually, I disagree. "What Hi-Fi" refers to high fidelity, in this case high fidelity audio equipment, which is a purely scientific/engineering endeavour (the designers and manufacturers are in the core engineers, not musicians). Talking music is also fine of course, but the title of the forum does not suggest anything about music.

TRENDING THREADS