chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I'm afraid you're putting the cart about half a mile in front of the horse here.

Speaker design goes as follows:
- Decide a goal, covering form-factor, low-frequency response, output, etc
- Carefully select drivers that will allow those goals to be met - requiring simulations for low-frequency response
- Construct the cabinet, accounting for diffraction, internal reflections, etc.
- Measure the drivers in the cabinet
- Design and build a crossover that integrates the drivers properly. NB - what works for one set of drivers will be at best sub-optimal (and at worst result in immediate and catastrophic failure) for another set of drivers.

By starting with a finished (presumably generic) crossover, you're effectively saying "I have some engine oil! Which car should I buy?"

Chris

Gray

I'm afraid you're putting the cart about half a mile in front of the horse here.

- Carefully select drivers that will allow those goals to be met - requiring simulations for low-frequency response
- Design and build a crossover that integrates the drivers properly. NB - what works for one set of drivers will be at best sub-optimal (and at worst result in immediate and catastrophic failure) for another set of drivers.

By starting with a finished (presumably generic) crossover, you're effectively saying "I have some engine oil! Which car should I buy?"

Chris
That could just be the most comprehensive p1ssing on someone's fireworks that I've ever seen :D. All he wanted was a 'nice loud stereo'.
Seriously alextsak, it may not be what you wanted to hear, but I'd advise that you believe it and reconsider. Chris may have done you a favour - there are some excellent quality / value, ready-made speakers on the market.

Last edited:

alextsak

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site

Chris
I already have these crossovers so i want to use them than throw them. :(

D

Deleted member 108165

Bad idea. Chris has covered it completely in his excellent reply, (he knows what he's talking about as he built his own speakers). You could always sell them and put the money towards a pair of off the shelf speakers as per Gray's post.

Reactions: insider9

alextsak

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Bad idea. Chris has covered it completely in his excellent reply, (he knows what he's talking about as he built his own speakers). You could always sell them and put the money towards a pair of off the shelf speakers as per Gray's post.
So which speakers would you suggest that are not very expensive but they are loud with good lows mids and highs and they can stand a powerful amplifier?

Sorry for my bad English. :/

scene

So which speakers would you suggest that are not very expensive but they are loud with good lows mids and highs and they can stand a powerful amplifier?

Sorry for my bad English. :/
What amp have you got, and what sort of music? (Apart from loud :) .) And do you have space for floorstanders?

And your English is fine.

alextsak

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
What amp have you got, and what sort of music? (Apart from loud :) .) And do you have space for floorstanders?

And your English is fine.
I have a very old JVC A-X4, space is no problem and i mostly listen to rock.
Also, what is your opinion about the magnat monitor supreme 1002?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts