I need a fast lean amp.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi The what hifi comments on the Jamo C809 & C 807 speakers suggest pairing it with a lean fast amp, I am looking at getting a C 807 which I think would be the same. In Dubai the selection is limited & the best candidate so far in my budget seems to be the Rotel RA-06 (with 06 CDP). Cambridge audio isn't available locally Cyrus, Arcam & Naim are but are probably above budget, Pioneer, Onkyo, Marantz & Nad are also available Any comments appreciated.

A

Anonymous

With those constraints Rotel is your best bet. You can Skip CAs, Pioneers, Onkyos. Go for a Rotel, Denon or Nad. Just make sure the amp has enough power on the tap.

If I were in your situation, I'd buy a 120+ wrms/channel Denon.

A

Anonymous

Thanks
After reading some reviews the Rotel RA-06 & RCD-06 seem to be a well matched combination as they should bring out the mid range a bit.
But the amp is only rated to 70W which is my main concern as getting more power later is difficult (when you bi amp this speaker the second amp only feeds the tweeter).
I thought Dennon had a warm sound as opposed to a lean sound?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Whoa, let's take a step back. Would not recommend the Denons - the latest generation sound very poor for our ears, and certainly far from lean and fast.

The Rotel amps are great, but the RCD-06 player is merely average for the money - you can buy much better if you mix and match.

If it's fast and lean you're after, Cyrus fits the bill perfectly - sure there are some eBay deals around if they're a bit pricey where you are...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare
I read here somewhere that your main complaint with the RCD-06 is that it lacks drive, would that not help make the C 807 a bit more balanced & edgy?
I've read in the reviews bellow that the RCD-06 has a thin mid band which is engaging but need careful partnering to smooth it out.
So my logic was that as in the Feb issue of the C 803, the review said that the midrange was a tad recessed & that the RCD-06 might help bring that out.
If the above logic is flawed would the Marantz CD6002 or the Pioneer PD-D6-J be a better bet?
The RA-06 costs 275 pounds & the RA-06 costs 395 pounds here.
The Cyrus 8vs2 costs 790 so quite a jump, would get on ebay but with the its weight not sure if would be wort the wait.
Is the Cyrus good enough to pay double the price, they are both 70W is this enough, & how how do the 70W compare in the real world?

Some links if anyones interested:
For speakers Jamo C 807:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...er-system.html
CDP Rotel RCD-06:
http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertain...w/rotel-rcd-06
http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/artic...N=1147&SP=&V=1
Amp Rotel RA-06:
http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertain...otel-ra-06-hfc
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Reviews...Hi_Fi/F7X7M7K5

The Jamo speakers seem like good value here (550 pounds). In what hifi magazine, they said they had fabulous scale, weight timing & punch. Apparently the bass is smooth & full, & the trebble is extended, this leads to enjoyable scale & fullness, but they can lack a bit of an edge & the midrange can be a little recessed. As a result the mag recommend pairing them with a lean fast amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]
Hunt for a second hand Naim Nait...
[/quote]

If the amp is really lean and fast you may have to lay a trap or it'll escape.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Whoa, let's take a step back. Would not recommend the Denons - the latest generation sound very poor for our ears, and certainly far from lean and fast.
[/quote]

Agreed, I wouldn't call Denons "fast an lean". I must be thinking availability and affordability. Another factor is, where I listened to the Jamos, it was paired with a Denon.
I like the idea of a Naim. If, and only if, that's available in that geography withing the budget, even if second hand.
However, I once saw someone selling a Cyrus (new) on eBay. The seller has responded to a query saying he imports them from Dubai. That makes me think there is a market of amps like that in Dubai. And the price was "very reasonable".

A

Anonymous

Thanks
If I could find 2nd hand it would be great, but alas 2nd hand stuff here is rare & expensive.
I did think of the Naim Nait it is available for a bit cheaper than the Cyrus but at 50W it may struggle, the Jamos are 6ohm 180W 89dB.
Given the lack of what's available locally in my pice bracket, what are everyones thoughts on the Rotel RA-06 & Marantz CD6002?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Floww"]I did think of the Naim Nait it is available for a bit cheaper than the Cyrus[/quote]
Lucky you.

[quote user="Floww"]but at 50W it may struggle, the Jamos are 6ohm 180W 89dB. [/quote]
You overshooted on the speakers. Did you get a deal? The amp will drive it, but may lack a bit of power.
For the amp, another option is, RB-06 + RC-06. Add a power amp later when funds allow. Alternatively, buy the best you can now and upgrade when you can.

A

Anonymous

The RA06 will drive them _OK_ but it will be left a little wanting. As stated above, add a power amp later to biamp (if two sets of binding posts on speakers) or go for a pre/power and add another power later to mono-bloc. I have to admit, I'm not sure I'd describe the Rotels as lean, but your source will play a huge part in that. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Me overshoot? never.......actually I just bought the C 809's !!!!
What can I say they were just too good & for 729 UK pounds (on special) they just offered the best sound per pound for me.
Anyway now I don't have to worry about whether 70W is enough ;-)
So now I'm thinking either Rotel RA-06 & RB-06 (2x70W), or perhaps the new digital RB-1072 (100W 11Amp).
I'm still keen on other suggestions but am unfortunately limited to the brands mentioned above.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts