I MUST BE THICK, BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND HDMI ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys and girls

IF you plug your LCD TV to a DVD Player using HDMI,  how can then you then go from your DVD Player to your Home Cinema Amp with HDMI if your DVD Player (like most) only has 1 HDMI socket,  im confused why everyones talking about plugging stuff into surround sound amps using HDMI, when most stuff only has 1 HDMI out, sorry to be the most stupid person on here :-( 

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Amps/receivers with HDMI inputs will also have an HDMI monitor out. Connect the player to the receiver, and then the receiver to the TV , both using HDMI.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Waynester

Most modern HC amps provide HDMI switching so you can connect several HDMI devices into the amp, which will then send the video portion of the signal to the TV via an HDMI output, with the audio portion dealt with by the amp itself and delivered to the speakers. So you have as you say, 1 HDMI from your DVD player which then connects to the amp, and another HDMI from the amp to the TV (video signal).

ÿHope this clears things up for you!

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
One tries...
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, so you connect your DVD Player straight to the AV Amp with hdmi cable, and then from the AV Amp to the LCD TV the same way ?

do you get the same quality picture doing that, instead of going straight from the DVD Player to the TV ?

ÿim going to be getting a Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Player and also this to go with itÿhttp://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4165

ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
WAYNESTER:
Hi Andrew, so you connect your DVD Player straight to the AV Amp with hdmi cable, and then from the AV Amp to the LCD TV the same way ?

do you get the same quality picture doing that, instead of going straight from the DVD Player to the TV ?

ÿim going to be getting a Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Player and also this to go with itÿhttp://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4165

ÿ

Yes, same quality.

A

Anonymous

okay, i think i got it !! lolif i connect my DVD Player and SKY HD using HDMI to the 2 inputs on the back of here

http://www.superfi.co.uk/popup.cfm?product_name=YAMAHA%20DSPAX763%20HOME%20CINEMA%20AMPLIFIERI_name=Yamaha_DSP-AX763_rear_panel_1400.jpg

i then use just 1 HDMI cable going from the OUT socket of the AV Amp into the TV and then this will give me the picture from my DVD player and SKY HD Box??

i just didnt realise you could output 2 things using 1 hdmi cable ÿ

ÿ

wont ask anymore questions, i sound like ÿright numpty! ha haÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

oh, one more thing, instead of using optical cable going from DVD player to the AV amp, i take it that using hdmi will give you MORE audio encodings? ÿis it HD audio or HTS, cant remember what its called! Grrrr

so its the same using the analogue cables as hdmi to give you these new audio features?

is it tru that using optical wont give me the same as hdmi and analogue cables while using this Yamaha AV amp?ÿ

ÿ

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
No need for optical or analogue cables if you're using HDMI, whatever audio formats the player supports will output to the amp over the one cable......

A

Anonymous

Connect your DVD/bluray player to the receiver with HDMI, then the receiver to the telly with another hdmi. Connect your sky hd box directly to the telly and then use an optical cable to connect the sky hd box to the receiver. (Sky only outputs stereo through the hdmi cable so you need the optical for dolby digital surround). This will also allow you to watch sky without having to have the amp on.

Sorry, there were a few more replies whilst I was typing this, didn't mean to throw a spanner in the works. This setup is just a bit more flexible.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Waynester,

One other thing - as you are getting the Yamaha amp, you could save some money on the Blu Ray player and go for the BDP-S350 rather than the S550. The S350 can't decode DTS HD master audio onboard, but you don't need it to. The Yamaha can do that for you. So you could save some money to spend on Blu Rays.

A

Anonymous

In gaming terms guys wont you create greater input lag if you connect a games console through an amp connected to you tv? Reason being all that processing going on? Will this not add a few more ms to any input lag the TV already has?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:In gaming terms guys wont you create greater input lag if you connect a games console through an amp connected to you tv? Reason being all that processing going on? Will this not add a few more ms to any input lag the TV already has?

Not that I've noticed (both my PS3 and Xbox are hooked into my amp).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Ginder:In gaming terms guys wont you create greater input lag if you connect a games console through an amp connected to you tv? Reason being all that processing going on? Will this not add a few more ms to any input lag the TV already has?

Me neither (PS2 & Wii).

A

Anonymous

A small increase in input lag is inevitable but how small this is I don't know - speaking from personal experience I do not notice the difference. Unless you are really tied to a pro-gaming scene, which is pretty rare on consoles, I wouldn't worry about it, especially considering the massive jump in sound quality.

N.B. If anyone knows of any research into this I'd be very interested to see it

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Ginder:In gaming terms guys wont you create greater input lag if you connect a games console through an amp connected to you tv? Reason being all that processing going on? Will this not add a few more ms to any input lag the TV already has?

Cheers Prof, so your headshot count(in shooters) remains consistent in relation to when your 360 is connected straight to the TV?

A

Anonymous

Terminal:

A small increase in input lag is inevitable but how small this is I don't know - speaking from personal experience I do not notice the difference. Unless you are really tied to a pro-gaming scene, which is pretty rare on consoles, I wouldn't worry about it, especially considering the massive jump in sound quality.

N.B. If anyone knows of any research into this I'd be very interested to see it

I know Gamebattles.com isnt pro-gaming, but its jus one step away from MLG, clan matches are still intensely competitive.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:Cheers Prof, so your headshot count(in shooters)ÿremains consistent in relation to when your 360 is connected straight to the TV?

Erm, to be fair, I have no idea - it's always been connected to my amp. I've certainly never felt hard done by so far though (if that counts for anything - I have a feeling I'm not as much a shooter fan as you are).

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Yea, if you are playing competitevly it is probably worth looking into. Do you notice any extra delay yourself?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts