I know the original recorded source, amplifier, and speakers all play a part, but is the source recording the main part ?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I read on this website that the Naim products are very unforgiving of bad original recordings and have noticed that on my much cheaper DM37 that a good recording makes a very big difference in sound quality, so would you say that how well the original recording is made is actually the most important part of a hi-fi system ?

T

the record spot

There's little doubt in my mind that a good musical experience will be enriched by a good recording/mastering but that's more down to your musical tastes and the likelihood you'll get that kind of production treatment (more of an issue in rock than classical typically) than the equipment you use. Kind of a "yes" but also a "no" at the same time! :grin:

A

Anonymous

The original recording.mastering/CD Transfer is absolutely key. Take a compressed ABBA Gold CD and play it on any system and it will still sound rubbish. Not because of the content - because of the compression.

Take something where the whole process is done well (e.g. The Blue Nile - A Walk Across THe Rooftops) and your system will be singing to the best of its ability.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All this is true, but a system which is too eager to highlight the weakness of the recording, instead of making less-than-perfect masterings as palatable as possible, will spend a lot of its time switched off. My current system can suffer from this: it's a 'fault' of my speakers which project the midrange a touch too forcefully for modern compressed recordings. For example SWMBO is an avid Take That fan but I find their CDs unlistenable on the HiFi. They sound much more acceptable on the in-car stereo.

formbypc

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I can happily listen to concerts recorded with a microphone in the centre of the crowd, if the music's right.

A HiFi should maaximise everything that you feed into it, not just the well-recorded stuff.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
formbypc said:
I can happily listen to concerts recorded with a microphone in the centre of the crowd, if the music's right.

A HiFi should maaximise everything that you feed into it, not just the well-recorded stuff.

Surely some mistake,bootlegs mentioned on this forum?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts