I just bought a Thorens TD160 Mark 2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi chaps

I just bought an immaculate TD 160. It must be age but I had a desire to play vinyl again.

The turntable plans fine, everything works. But can I make it sound better? I was shipped to Hong Kong and came back - courier couldnt find the buyer so i suspect it got bounced about.

What can I do to make sure it sounds the best it can for what it is?

It has a Thorens arm and a Shure cartridge.

I am no expert but think I have picked a reasonable antique.

Can anyone give some advice? It sounds okay, but doesnt sound as crisp as I hoped it might.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Clean and lubricate everything, and check the belt - I'd get a replacement one anyway. Also check the alignment and tracking weight of your cartridge. Service manuals and instruction manuals can be found at vinylengine.

What cartridge do you have? That may be part of the problem.

Other things you may want to look at in the future is the tonearm. If thorens have a weak link, it's that, and you'll find heaps of info about how to replace them on the net. I wouldn't bother, since a standard TD160 is better than most mid range turntables available to-day and is a classic deck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Grottyash :) I'll have a proper look later and come back to you - i'll buy a new belt then, cartridge is a Shure but not sure which model...... The deck is immaculate other than a chipped cover, which I glued back with perspex glue and you cant see it really. I picked it up for what I think is a song at £30 yesterday! Good to hear its a positive reviewed deck?

A

Anonymous

thanks FBSF :)

whats the difference between a stylus and a cartridge and then tonearm?

Confused.com

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
monkeychops1:
thanks FBSF :)
whats the difference between a stylus and a cartridge and then tonearm?
Confused.com

Okie dokie.

The stylus is the bit that actually goes on the record. This is a diamond on the end of a cantilever, which is mounted (for Magnetic cartridges) usually in a plastic carrier. This is the whole bit that you replace when buying a new stylus.

The Cartridge is the bit bolted on to the end of the tonearm's headshell, that the stylus fits into, and is what generates the electrical signal that passes down the wires inside the tonearm.

The Tonearm is the collective term for the headshell, arm tube, bearings and wires that supports the cartridge and is fixed to the turntable plinth.

I've probably made this as clear as mud.

I'll try again.

For Cartridge, search for "AT-95E cartridge" and then "AT-95E replacement stylus" - you can then see that the cartridge comes with the green bit (the stylus) as well as the cartridge body (the black and silver bit).

For tonearms, search for Rega RB251 - you can then see what the tonearm includes (the rega has a one-piece arm tube, including the headshell, whereas something like a Jelco SA-750 has a detatchable headshell to enable easier swapping of cartridges).

Hope that helps!!

A

Anonymous

blimey, and you also got a quad set up?

I'd like to hear more about your system please including how you uprated your TD 160?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Oval Marc

Does the QUAD amp and pre-amp sound any good? I saw one or two second hand and heard they might be good? Much power etc? Would be really keen to know.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts