Rega Rp1 vs Rp3 vs Thorens td160

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

i am fairly new to the turntable market with the units until now not featuring in my setup. My dad has a Thorens td 110 and gave me his old Sony. The Sony however unfortunately is characterised into the group of cheap plastic lightweight products of the late 20th century.

I initially wanted to upgrade to something that did everything reasonably well for little money like the pro ject elemental, however have fallen subject to increasing my budget again and again. I am now drawing the line at £250, but could be pushed closer to 300

The Rega rp1 really appealed to me- it's in budget, well reviewed and can be upgraded easily in time with the performance pack. I can buy it new for £230. However I am always in favour of getting something a little special second hand and paying similar money, the issue is I have no idea what to look for and could buy a lot or work. Rp3 s used are just about in range, so are Thorens td150 s and 160 s.

so should I go for the safe rp1 or try get something a little better but used and if so what.

Responses would be greatly appreciated and evaluated

nb: I already have a pre amp- Cambridge audio 551p

Jackm219 said:
Hi,

i am fairly new to the turntable market with the units until now not featuring in my setup. My dad has a Thorens td 110 and gave me his old Sony. The Sony however unfortunately is characterised into the group of cheap plastic lightweight products of the late 20th century.

I initially wanted to upgrade to something that did everything reasonably well for little money like the pro ject elemental, however have fallen subject to increasing my budget again and again. I am now drawing the line at £250, but could be pushed closer to 300

The Rega rp1 really appealed to me- it's in budget, well reviewed and can be upgraded easily in time with the performance pack. I can buy it new for £230. However I am always in favour of getting something a little special second hand and paying similar money, the issue is I have no idea what to look for and could buy a lot or work. Rp3 s used are just about in range, so are Thorens td150 s and 160 s.

so should I go for the safe rp1 or try get something a little better but used and if so what.

Responses would be greatly appreciated and evaluated

nb: I already have a pre amp- Cambridge audio 551p
If you know enough to set up a simple turntable, then a used Rega will give the most for your money. Practically everything is replaceable, they are widely available and many dealers can fix them. The older Thorens were very fine, but suspended chassis decks are harder to set up, and more prone to poor performance when they age.

Dont overlook the Pro-Ject models either, as they are often similar performance to the basic Regas, but there are so many subtly different models it is hard to pick one, especially used.

An RP1 is all many folk will ever need, especially with the performance pack.

Welcome to the madness!

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the response Nopiano.

the rp1 does seem great but I was disappointed to see the rather cheap looking leads out the back and no ground. It seems silly to make a fine turntable etc but then transmit the signal via thin cheap cable. Is this an issue or am I being pedantic.

This is the reason that initially prompted me to look at higher end tables that have RCA inputs.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jackm219 said:
Thanks for the response Nopiano.

the rp1 does seem great but I was disappointed to see the rather cheap looking leads out the back and no ground. It seems silly to make a fine turntable etc but then transmit the signal via thin cheap cable. Is this an issue or am I being pedantic.

This is the reason that initially prompted me to look at higher end tables that have RCA inputs.

The RP1 is built down to a budget, you will not get much for £230, the dealer will get 40%, taxman 20%, does not leave much left for manufacturer and profit? If you can find a RP3 in good condition I would be inclined to buy that, just seen one go for £280, fairly new and just been serviced. Have a look on gumtree in your area think they tend to be better value than ebay.

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your response BigH. I appreciate they have to save in some areas, and will look on Gumtree.

I have also seen a number of Rega planar 2 and 3s. How do these fair in comparison with the rp1? I can pick a 3 up, used with a glass platter (slightly chipped) for £150.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jackm219 said:
Thanks for your response BigH. I appreciate they have to save in some areas, and will look on Gumtree.

I have also seen a number of Rega planar 2 and 3s. How do these fair in comparison with the rp1? I can pick a 3 up, used with a glass platter (slightly chipped) for £150.

The Rega 2 is between the RP1 and 3, never tried one to be honest, I think it will be step up but depends on age and condition. Thats not a bad price but depends how chipped? Can you check it out before buying? Platters are quite expensive to replace. What arm does it have, black straight or s silver?

BigH said:
Jackm219 said:

The Rega 2 is between the RP1 and 3, never tried one to be honest, I think it will be step up but depends on age and condition. Thats not a bad price but depends how chipped? Can you check it out before buying? Platters are quite expensive to replace. What arm does it have, black straight or s silver?

Only buy mint condition, do not buy one with a chipped platter. They are balanced and chipping will effect that. There are plenty around so take your time. Straight RB300 arm is better.

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input Al ears. I appreciate this would effect the sound and it begs the question how did the owner look after the table. The item is no longer on eBay anyway (may have sold).

This is madness. There seems to be hundreds of turntables, I pick a brand- Rega, a price range £200-300 and there still are many tables- rp1, planar 2, planar 3, rp3, p3, p2 etc

can someone please order the above best to worst, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jackm219 said:
Thanks for the input Al ears. I appreciate this would effect the sound and it begs the question how did the owner look after the table. The item is no longer on eBay anyway (may have sold).

This is madness. There seems to be hundreds of turntables, I pick a brand- Rega, a price range £200-300 and there still are many tables- rp1, planar 2, planar 3, rp3, p3, p2 etc

can someone please order the above best to worst, it would be greatly appreciated.

Simple, if sticking to Rega, then buy the most modern deck that doesn't include a one in the model number and buy it without a cartridge fitted. ....... :)

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
As usual, this forum has given some good advice and worth keeping on board, Rega are undoubtedly one of the best turntables out there and are extremely good value for money especially second hand, but take note of what Ears has said. However, Rega are not the only high quality value for money deck, and it might be worth looking at some of the Pro-Ject turntables, they produce a bigger range than Rega and you might find something in that range. 2 strings to your bow so to speak. Be carefull about buying an old Thorens as it might need a serious set up on the suspension and could prove a bad move unless you know how to work on them.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jackm219 said:

Problem is Turntables now are worth selling so there is a spate of them appearing on ebay etc. many seem to have been stored away for years in the loft, these old turntables are going for over £200 which to me seems far too much when you can buy a new Planar 3 for £550. So yes I would try and get a recent one, preferably a 3 and check it over before buying. Make sure the platter is not wonky. Anti-skate can be a problem on older Rega turntables. I would not worry about cartridge, most are fitted with something cheap, just budget to upgrade it.

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Chris and BigH. I think the rp1 suffices for now. I am going to university in a year so want something potentially a bit cheaper that I won't mind taking and moving around etc. so I think if no decent, local rp3 under £300 comes up in the next couple of weeks I will go for the rp1. Any further input would be welcome, thanks for all your advice.

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
What's your guys view on the Rega p3. By chance an old friend of my dad has one in his loft. It is good condition and purchased in 1999. He said I can have it for £250 (supposedly a discount from £350). Does this sound a good deal? There is also a Planar 3 for £200 (elys cartridge but no stylus) in slightly worse condition. Are these good deals?

Jackm219 said:
What's your guys view on the Rega p3. By chance an old friend of my dad has one in his loft. It is good condition and purchased in 1999. He said I can have it for £250 (supposedly a discount from £350). Does this sound a good deal? There is also a Planar 3 for £200 (elys cartridge but no stylus) in slightly worse condition. Are these good deals?

Not sure considering for a bit more you can get a new deck. You'd have to check eBay past selling history.

Note if it is the old Planar 3 (be careful with your numbering as Rega system makes it difficult) with the rubber belt suspended motor, this will probably need replacing as will the main drive belt.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jackm219 said:

Sounds too high to me, its old, its been stored in the loft, lofts can get very hot in summer and cold in winter. What arm does it have? What cartridge? If its been serviced recently then yes it maybe a reasonable deal. I would try it out first. On ebay there was one, newer than that, had RB 300 arm, recent full service, went for £280, so that gives you an idea, think that is a reasonable price. Seems prices are going down recently on ebay from the ones Ive seen. Maybe the market is flooded now.

BigH said:
Jackm219 said:

Sounds too high to me, its old, its been stored in the loft, lofts can get very hot in summer and cold in winter. What arm does it have? What cartridge? If its been serviced recently then yes it maybe a reasonable deal. I would try it out first. On ebay there was one, newer than that, had RB 300 arm, recent full service, went for £280, so that gives you an idea, think that is a reasonable price. Seems prices are going down recently on ebay from the ones Ive seen. Maybe the market is flooded now.

You may be right BigH, that would have gone for over £300 a while back. Perhaps the market has saturated.

If it has been stored that long a service would be in order but that can be done yourself if you know what you are doing.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
BigH said:
Jackm219 said:

You may be right BigH, that would have gone for over £300 a while back. Perhaps the market has saturated.

If it has been stored that long a service would be in order but that can be done yourself if you know what you are doing.

Thats was a while ago, seen many in last week getting hardly any bids. You can probably pick a p3 up now for about £200. Maybe its summer but some items not getting the bids they were a few months ago. Atacama hifi stand base unit, one went for £20 the other day, I would have had it if it had not been so far away.

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I looked at the p3 and it was poorly stored so I decided it was not worth the money, however, I liked the turntable and found a p3 on gumtree and got it for £240 delivered. Although I couldn't see it before purchase the guy sounded meticulous and knew his stuff. The turntable arrived yesterday and is immaculate. It is 16 years old with glass platter, rb300 and elys cartridge. Although the cartridge will need replacing fairly soon I am overjoyed- the sound is brilliant!

Any ideas for cartridge upgrade?

Jackm219 said:
Hi all,

I looked at the p3 and it was poorly stored so I decided it was not worth the money, however, I liked the turntable and found a p3 on gumtree and got it for £240 delivered. Although I couldn't see it before purchase the guy sounded meticulous and knew his stuff. The turntable arrived yesterday and is immaculate. It is 16 years old with glass platter, rb300 and elys cartridge. Although the cartridge will need replacing fairly soon I am overjoyed- the sound is brilliant!

Any ideas for cartridge

Yes, how much do you have to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts