I have a question for all of you out there

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.
That's the best quote I've ever seen here! Now I just need to lo kip what it means. *nea*

It means: the development of an individual organism repeats the stages by which its species as a whole evolved. It was a view held by some early followers of Darwin, e.g. Ernst Haeckel. Haeckel thought that the pharyngeal slits of a human embryo were the same as fish gills. In other words, the human embryo develops in much the same way as the human species has evolved, e.g. through a fishy stage.

Stephen Jay Gould has written well about this.

It's not taken very seriously these days.

Matt

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I prefer to think of it as an annoying, fractal argument. A thread of threads, if you will, running through the forums, around and down, folding in on itself before popping up somewhere else.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Waxy said:
I prefer to think of it as an annoying, fractal argument. A thread of threads, if you will, running through the forums, around and down, folding in on itself before popping up somewhere else.

Which reminds me.......

What does the B in Benoit B Mandelbrot stand for?

Benoit b Mandelbrot.......*dirol*

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Waxy said:

Which reminds me.......

An old one, but a good one *yahoo*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Waxy said:
davedotco said:
Waxy said:

Which reminds me.......

An old one, but a good one *yahoo*

Our maths lecturer at uni was nicknamed eee-x (e to the x power). He was very standoffish and when asked why he always said that he tried to integrate, but it made no difference, it was just the same......*mosking*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
VOE said:
Vinyl is back in production and taking off.

Yes it is, and no it isn't. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics about vinyl sales.

"Amazon announces vinyl sales are up 745% since 2008"

All well and good, but as it turns out, a 745% increase on a very small number is still a very small number. A more telling headline is:

"Vinyl sales account for less than 2% of CD sales in 2013"

There may be firms selling vinyl, but I am not sure I agree with your suggestion that it is "taking off".

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Our maths lecturer at uni was nicknamed eee-x (e to the x power). He was very standoffish and when asked why he always said that he tried to integrate, but it made no difference, it was just the same......*mosking*

At the risk of over egging the pudding, to be technically correct it should be more along the lines of:

.... he tried to integrate, but it made no difference, he was always left with a rejection, which was a constant.

Maybe your version was better...

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty harmless though, & if people don't want to take part in a thread they don't have too, it very rare that people get killed during such threads, though probably don't do some peoples blood pressure much good *diablo*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
davedotco said:

At the risk of over egging the pudding, to be technically correct it should be more along the lines of:

.... he tried to integrate, but it made no difference, he was always left with a rejection, which was a constant.

Maybe your version was better...

But maybe not, trying to work the '+ c' into a one liner was always going to be difficult.

Still it would be easier if we knew the limits........*pardon*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Matt, there's no value in new turntables because of the following reasons:

1. no matter what price point, there's something you could have bought for less money - sometimes a lot less - that will sound at least as good - often much better.

2. the vast majority of modern tunrtables are belt drive. That's fine if you like belt drives as a breed. I personally prefer direct drives as a breed for their generally crisper presentation or idlers for their more propulsive presentation.

3. Depreciation. If you have your heart set on a modern vinyl source buying it 2nd hand will save you money. Any turntable worth having will last for many years before it starts getting worn out. Cartridges on the other hand are consumable items and sometimes you might as well buy new as 2nd hand.

VOE, modern Regas, Pro-Jects, OL's are OK. Put them up against, for example, a £300 Sony PSX 6750 with a £posh cartridge in and see which you prefer...

Neptune, I think $11,000 for an EMT 950 or 930 is too much. That's about 3 times more than I paid for mine, a few years ago. $11,000 would be a good price for an EMT 927 because they are such a rare item and have commanded huge prices for a long time. The thing with 2nd hand hi-fi is that you get flavours of the month / year / decade. Where the prices go shooting up. The wisest buyers buy products that are not FOTM. Or they buy at prices well below the current going rate. If you can buy a fully working EMT 950 with EMT cartridge for under £3000, or without cartridge for under £2500 then I'd say go for it.

And the BBC EMT's. Typical BBC. They spent all that money on lorry loads of EMT's and then went cheap on the cartridges, fitting inexpenive MM's to them. An EMT isn't really a full on EMT without an EMT cartridge on it.

Thorens and EMT were part of the same group of companies for a while.

It's a good question to ask at what price point I feel vinyl surpases digital. The thing with the 2nd hand hi-fi equipment is that it's all a big fat it depends because it's such an imperfect market. You generally don't get what you paid for. The trick is to get a lot more than what you paid for. You also have to factor in different people have different skills and abilities in doing basic repairs and servicing to turn ultra cheap non-working turntables into fully functioning mega bargains for minimal time and cost. Assuming zero DIY ability, I think that £500 to £999 is enough to get a vinyl source that will sound better than the sort of mid-level CD players that I have. If we're talking about an ultra CD source such as an Esoteric P01/D01 then I wouldn't like to say as I don't have enough experience of high end digital sources.

With that £500 to £999 it's vital that you buy the right turntable / arm / cartridge / phono amplification, and not just some mediocre sounding combination. It's vital that you do all the things to give vinyl a following wind - turntable isolation from speakers, clean unworn stylus etc etc.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
1. no matter what price point, there's something you could have bought for less money - sometimes a lot less - that will sound at least as good - often much better.

2. the vast majority of modern tunrtables are belt drive. That's fine if you like belt drives as a breed. I personally prefer direct drives as a breed for their generally crisper presentation or idlers for their more propulsive presentation.

3. Depreciation. If you have your heart set on a modern vinyl source buying it 2nd hand will save you money. Any turntable worth having will last for many years before it starts getting worn out. Cartridges on the other hand are consumable items and sometimes you might as well buy new as 2nd hand.

I take your point about depreciation. Opening that new box, alluring though it may be, is shockingly costly. Most of the stuff I've bought recently has been s/h or ex-demo. Obvious exception being a Devialet ...

I simply don't know enough about TTs to have a preference re. belt-drive, DD or idler. I hear what you're saying, though plenty of people with much more experience than me do like belt-drives. Hmmm ...

The analog vs digital price comparison works slightly differently in my case, as I run a PC into the Devialet via ethernet. I've heard some very pricey CD players with the Dev. A cheap PC seems to me just as good. Digital has moved on a long way since the CD player ...

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts