I have a Naim NAP 180 power which I stupidly connected through speaker cables to another amplifier

lesliel

May 6, 2020
Visit site
plugged two amps into the same speakers...

I have a Naim NAP 180 power which I stupidly connected through speaker cables to another amplifier~! my question is what damage am I likely to have done and is it repairable?

many thanks

What damage do you think you have done? Power amps are meant to be connected to another amp, a preamp. Exactly how did you connect the amplifiers with speaker cable?
Does it still work?
I believe Naim still repair their older products best contact them.
Not enough information basically.

jjbomber

Well when I turn it on now it just hums. I connected the two amps to the same speakers.

If you connected one amp to the HF and one amp to the LF, AND removed the link, then you shouldn't have done any damage.

If you connected both to the speakers and left the link in, then you will blow the speakers.

Try connecting just the other amplifier to the speakers. Are the speakers still humming?

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Well when I turn it on now it just hums.
That should be an alarm bell (no, it's a hum :) ). Sorry, it's not funny.
Don't use your speakers as test instruments. There could be some voltage that they really don't like in with that hum.
Yes is the answer to your 'is it repairable?' question (and their first tests will be with a meter).
How much? That's a different question.

lesliel

May 6, 2020
Visit site
If you connected one amp to the HF and one amp to the LF, AND removed the link, then you shouldn't have done any damage.

If you connected both to the speakers and left the link in, then you will blow the speakers.

Try connecting just the other amplifier to the speakers. Are the speakers still humming?
The other amp was a Sansui and I heard a loud pop coming from inside. I opened it up and it was a tranisistor that exploded! However I have bigger problems - the Tannoy 15 inch Golds that I was using have lost all their lower end, sound like cheap car speakers now!

The other amp was a Sansui and I heard a loud pop coming from inside. I opened it up and it was a tranisistor that exploded! However I have bigger problems - the Tannoy 15 inch Golds that I was using have lost all their lower end, sound like cheap car speakers now!
Ouch, that's one expensive repair job. Sorry to hear it, nice speakers those.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts