I got in to trouble the other night

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
with Tonestar1, if you don't like noise then don't move in next to someone or some place that does, recently a pub near the city I live was in danger of closing due to the fact that some person moved in next to it, complained about the noise late one night to the council, now rather than the council doing the right thing and advising this person to move out they instead told the pub the keep the noise down and if they didn't they would be fined, the landlord of pub said that in over thirty years this was the first time there had been a complaint to the council.

I have almost the same problem with my neighbour who moved in about eight years ago, one day not long after he had moved in while on a day off from work I put some music on, about 10 mins later there was a knock at the door, I answered it to find my neighbour asking could I turn it off as it was disturbing him, I politely said no because I always put music on my days off, he then said that I wouldn't be doing it for much longer, myself starting to get a bit annoyed about being told what I can't do on my day off from work told him to go away and I shut the door in his face.

A few weeks later and carrying on with playing music without any knocking at the door I thought that the matter had been resolved but then one day I came home to find a letter from our local council on the doormatt, I opened it and was amazed to see that it was advising me of a complaint about "alleged" noise coming from my property, now obviously it didn't say from where the complaint had come from but it didn't take a miracle to work it out. After reading the "advice" from the council and realising that I wasn't breaking any rules (I don't play music loud late at night), I continued playing music at a lower level for about six months or so, I received no further letters from the council, so after this time I turned my volume back up to the previous levels, still no complaints or letters so I thought I was okay until one day when I had some friends over, it was in the afternoon so I put some music on to show off my new hifi system, now one of my friends thought it would be funny to turn the volume all the way up while i was out of the room, running rapidly to turn it down and not best pleased, there was then an almighty banging on the front door, I opened it to find my neighbour standing there saying he had enough and would be complaining to the council again.

At this point I'm afraid I lost my cool and told him that I wasn't breaking any rules, it wasn't late at night, asked him why if he was so bothered about noise then why buy a semi-detached house, he answered saying he had previously lived in a block of flats to which I replied they must of all had a big party when you had left. I ended the conversation by saying if you don't like it then move and I then slammed the door.

That was about five years ago, since then no further knockings on the door, no more letters or visits (I never had one) from the council ( I've since found out that due to budget cuts the only times our councils noise patrol works is late Friday/Saturday nights), he hasn't moved out yet (still hope), I try to avoid him if possible and we don't speak to each other (not bothered).

*music2*

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
You could stick the movie on with the sub low, go and knock on yer neighbours door and ask if you could test the level of your sub, get yer missus to then operate the sub in increments and just call her on her cell when it gets to a point where it is noticeable in your neighbours.
You can then step it down 1 click so you have a benchmark for when the guy's home.
Shows some consideration from your side and you'll feel more comfortable going forward...
I have a PB2000 and you can feel it thru the house, fortunately detached, but it can piss the wife off when she's in a different part of the house...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
svs sell feet that screw into their subs to help prevent sound passing into the building structure.
They are not massively expensive and might be worth considering because you want a lot bass in a movie that's what makes it an experience and not just something you watch

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
svs sell feet that screw into their subs to help prevent sound passing into the building structure. They are not massively expensive and might be worth considering because you want a lot bass in a movie that's what makes it an experience and not just something you watch
thats worth looking into thanks *smile* david do you have them ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i was watching this film at 6pm at night and did not think i was breaking any laws the film was not that loud it was just the sub doing its job with the action

P.S it’s ok David I found some and brought some feet for the sub they £60 for a set so should get them tomorrow or Monday I will see if they work or not

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
(I don't play music loud late at night)

And there's where you differ from Tonestar1, apparently if you object to your neighbours playing loud music at 1:30 in the morning you're an arsehole accodring to Tonestar1 and shouldn't live in an attached property. Funny how he gets upset when the truth is pointed out to him that he's the arsehole for playing loud music at 1:30 in the morning. Hope he got a good spanking off the cops.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
What I don't appreciate is the capitals you ARSEHOLE, it takes one to know one. Don't you dare shout at me you muppet. I'm fine with colourful language, I will not accept agression from anyone. Wind your neck back in Major.

What you said was, maybe slightly paraphrasing because I can't be bothered to look at your post, anyone who doesn't like their neighbours playing loud music late at night (ie 1:30 in the morning) shouldn't live in an attached property, as though we actually all have a choice. So you really think they were unreasonable to complain about loud music coming from your property at half one in the morning?

And you're upset because I used captials in the words THEIR and YOU? How old are you, six?

Tonestar1

MajorFubar said:
Tonestar1 said:
What I don't appreciate is the capitals you ARSEHOLE, it takes one to know one. Don't you dare shout at me you muppet. I'm fine with colourful language, I will not accept agression from anyone. Wind your neck back in Major.

What you said was, maybe slightly paraphrasing because I can't be bothered to look at your post, anyone who doesn't like their neighbours playing loud music late at night (ie 1:30 in the morning) shouldn't live in an attached property, as though we actually all have a choice. So you really think they were unreasonable to complain about loud music coming from your property at half one in the morning?

And you're upset because I used captials in the words THEIR and YOU? How old are you, six?
No need to paraphrase when you have cut and paste....
Tonestar1 said:
There has to be a bit of give and take in these situatuions. I once had a hogmanay party and the police were at the door at 1am as it was too noisy. Crazy neigbour downstairs. If you live next to people you have to realise your neighbours may want the occasional party. If you dont like that you shouldn't buy an attached property. As long as you aren't doing it every week then i don't think once or twice a year is too much to ask. We are only human, unfortunately some people can be real assholes.
MajorFubar said:
Yeah we can all afford detached properties can't we. And we all live in semi or terraced houses because we choose to. How about 'if you live attached to someone YOU have to respect THEIR rights?' As you quite rightly say, some people can be arseholes. Your neighbour lived next to one.
I've always found you pretty reasonable on this forum but in this case you completely overreacted. And yes I must be six as I don't like people writing to me in CAPS in a condescending manner and especially don't like being called an arsehole. So either apologise or take those chips from your shoulder and deep fry them somewhere else.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
You could stick the movie on with the sub low, go and knock on yer neighbours door and ask if you could test the level of your sub, get yer missus to then operate the sub in increments and just call her on her cell when it gets to a point where it is noticeable in your neighbours. You can then step it down 1 click so you have a benchmark for when the guy's home. Shows some consideration from your side and you'll feel more comfortable going forward... I have a PB2000 and you can feel it thru the house, fortunately detached, but it can piss the wife off when she's in a different part of the house...

+1 here.

when my neighbours moved in they constantly watched there moves loud. I have a more powerful system than them and I asked if they could hear mine, they advised no. I kindly asked them a number of times turn there's down as we could hear it over ours and in the bedroom. After knocking on their door a couple of times it's now at a reasonable level. I can still hear it when we have nothing on but I can't hear it over ours anymore. When I purchased my sub I went next door and explained I had a sub and if they heard anything to please let me know. I've asked a number of times if it's all ok and they have advised they can't hear anything. Ironically I did turn the sub down as I found it to loud!

anyway show you care and you don't want to make trouble and hopefully you'll find a level that is acceptable to you both.

ive not been shy with the films either, Underworld blood wars, Jurassic world, Deadpool, transformers age of extinction, blade runner 2049 to name a few. All big impact and at present both of us are happy. Let's hope it stays that way!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
and especially don't like being called an arsehole.

I threw the same word back at you that you called your neighbours for reporting your loud music at 1am, which IMO they had every right to do. If you don't like being called the the word, don't make it so easy for people to bounce it back at you. Very obviously in the example you gave they had every right to react the way they did. If you want to party til silly hours, go somewhere where there's a loud party. Or rent a venue if you just want a private gathering. But if like me you're unfortunate enough to be attached, either in flats/terraced house/semi, it's not unreasonable for your neighbours to expect you to behave responsibly.

Tonestar1

MajorFubar said:
Tonestar1 said:
and especially don't like being called an arsehole.

I threw the same word back at you that you that called your neighbours for reporting your loud music at 1am, which IMO they had every right to do. If you don't like being called the the word, don't make it so easy for people to bounce it back at you. Very obviously in the example you gave they had every right to react the way they did.

You aren't quoting any of the rest of my post though and trying to make me out to be a hooligan playing music at ear bleeding levels every night till 1:30....

I said it was at a Hogmanany party which are extremely common in Scotland, most parties at that time of year don't even start till elevenish.....

The police weren't overly concerened, asked us to turn it down a notch and intimated that they could be doing other, more important work rather than interrrupt a family party on new years eve/day.

IMO you are talking nonsense, didnt read my post properly in the first place and rather than apologise continue to try to defend your position by taking snippets of my post out of context.

Lets just leave it at that.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
skippy said:
You could stick the movie on with the sub low, go and knock on yer neighbours door and ask if you could test the level of your sub, get yer missus to then operate the sub in increments and just call her on her cell when it gets to a point where it is noticeable in your neighbours.
You can then step it down 1 click so you have a benchmark for when the guy's home.
Shows some consideration from your side and you'll feel more comfortable going forward...
I have a PB2000 and you can feel it thru the house, fortunately detached, but it can piss the wife off when she's in a different part of the house...

+1

Iam lucky so far to have the entire floor to myself. But there will be 6 neighbours at some point of time. I would certainly proceed as suggested by skippy with my closest neighbours to avoid misunderstandings :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The SVS subwoofer Isolation feet came today very easy to fit and they are bigger then the standard subwoofer feet that come with the sub subwoofer

And basically this feet fit the hole of the SVS subwoofer range and they are quite well made too and they cost me £60 but they also do a 6 pack set as well so they must have a subwoofer with 6 feet ?

anyway they are on and I’ve turn down the subwoofer a little bit just to see but tomorrow I will watch a film and see if they do anything or not and probably see the next door and see if he can hear the boom but if he can then it’s not worth putting the subwoofer on when he is home from work .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts