Humming ,buzzing Brio r

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

just replace the main cable with something better ( like I did) and hum will be no more.

Looks Rega is very sensitive to any RFI frequency and original main cabel works well as an aerial :)

I spend £65 on main and can't hear any hum.

try to play with positioning as well might help without investing any money.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
jz82 said:
just replace the main cable with something better ( like I did) and hum will be no more.

Looks Rega is very sensitive to any RFI frequency and original main cabel works well as an aerial :)

I spend £65 on main and can't hear any hum.

try to play with positioning as well might help without investing any money.

Nice to know about your experience, enjoy your Brio R at the full!

It's a magnificent product for the budget!

Best REGArds

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
My Brio-R doesn't hum at all either but I use it with a Lapp mains chord with Bals plugs and it sounds bloody great. I was thinking of getting an used Rega DAC but I'm affraid to get a humming one after this threat.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Fulci said:
My Brio-R doesn't hum at all either but I use it with a Lapp mains chord with Bals plugs and it sounds bloody great. I was thinking of getting an used Rega DAC but I'm affraid to get a humming one after this threat.

it was the amps, no reports of the DAC buzzing

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So now I've had my Brio-R for a bit — I stuck my head next to the speakers again.

There's a very mild buzz from the woofer — you can't hear it if you're more than 30 cm away from it.

It's only on the left channel.

Doesn't bother me one bit because I'm enjoying the amp so much — with my newly acquired Rega DAC it's brill!

bradbort

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had a for over a year, and have no hum that I'v noticed, with one exception. At one point I had a headphone amp that, when the rega was on the phono input, would create some hum when it was on. When I switched the headphone amp, the hum went away. Some have mentioned that US models (where I live) might be less susceptable due to the 120 instead of 220 current. I have no idea, I just really like the brio R!

AdamPB

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to dig out this old thread but i'm current experiencing similar problems with the Brio-r buzzing. What i'd like to detail exactly is the conditions of the hum/buzz.

My (two day old) set-up consists of an Rp3 - Brio-r - Chord Rumour cable - Mission m71i's (waiting for RS1's to turn up). The hum is from two places. The acutally casing itself, which is a low-end hum (is this normal?), and from both speakers, which is more a waspy buzz. The um and buzz is present when the volume is zeroed out, and through all sources. I've dicconected, swapped, removed all cables and sources and still it remains.

I understand some owners are living with the hum/buzz, and others simply can not tolerate it, questioning why a £500+ amp should hum and have sought alternatives.

What would be interesting to know if any owners, in the last year, have sought any workarounds to reducing the hum/improving the set-up?

Thanks in advance

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
It is a faulty amp. Take it back to your dealer and rega will replace it. I had three brio r's that had to be sent back. One of them had the buzzing you describe from the speakers....that is a definite no no. Rega replaced mine immediately. The other two hummed from the casing loud enough to not be able to live with as it was in my bedroom and I would not have been able to escape the hum. This happened on two amps which rega replaced. I have a fourth brio r that is silent unless I put my ear to the casing, and no audible buzz from speaker, only a slight static house if I press my ear to the speaker, so realistically I never hear it. I'm presuming this is your setups problem anyway.

A

Anderson

This is nuts.

It would appear at least to me, that Rega are tuning their amps in some way that induces the hum. Presumably under the assumption that it sounds better than straight wire gain. This isn't HiFi.

Humming despite Niams(as per anecdote of previously posted) claim is not a sign of quality, it's a lack of. Isn't that funny.

No sir, the engine will make that grinding sound due to the fact that we use such high quality parts, the smoke coming from the engine proves your got a top class car.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Anderson said:
This is nuts.

It would appear at least to me, that Rega are tuning their amps in some way that induces the hum. Presumably under the assumption that it sounds better than straight wire gain. This isn't HiFi.

Humming despite Niams(as per anecdote of previously posted) claim is not a sign of quality, it's a lack of. Isn't that funny.

No sir, the engine will make that grinding sound due to the fact that we use such high quality parts, the smoke coming from the engine proves your got a top class car.

Or perhaps quality control is not up to scratch on sourced components.

On the tuning amps front, I had an argument with an amp designer on another forum and he says he designs his amp to give a 6db boost to the bass. He still claimed it was hi-fi.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Rega factory

Roksan factory

I would rather buy from Roksan but work at Rega.

I don't know, they both look quite impressive, more so than cyrus (which I can't find to many pictures of) but Linn and Naim look good too.

Mind you, I still prefer Lamborghini's factory.

AdamPB

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies

radiorog said:
It is a faulty amp. Take it back to your dealer and rega will replace it. I had three brio r's that had to be sent back. One of them had the buzzing you describe from the speakers....that is a definite no no. Rega replaced mine immediately. The other two hummed from the casing loud enough to not be able to live with as it was in my bedroom and I would not have been able to escape the hum. This happened on two amps which rega replaced. I have a fourth brio r that is silent unless I put my ear to the casing, and no audible buzz from speaker, only a slight static house if I press my ear to the speaker, so realistically I never hear it. I'm presuming this is your setups problem anyway.

Thats crazy. How were the dealers when you spoke to them a THIRD time about this. Surely they weren't happy themselves?

I rang the store today, going to take it in on Friday, although they said it's "normal for the amp to hum, but it depends how loud..". Think i'm going to ring Rega and see what they have to say. I assumed buying this amp a year on after this issue had been raised i would have escaped the hum! Not been the case.

aneveu

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased my Rega Brio-r, along with a Rega DAC, a couple of weeks ago. Love the sound now that it is broken in, but I also have this buzz/hum. Mine is at 60Hz since I am in the USA. It is a smidgen lower then a concert "b".

Some good info.. if I turn off my powered sub woofer the hum is not as loud. The hum starts fairly loud when I power on the amp, but gets much quieter after about 10 seconds. After warming up it settles into a volume that I can easily hear with my ear about 12 inches from the speaker. The hum is louder in my left channel than the right. I tried using a different power strip and also plugging straight into the wall, and believe it or not I think one of my power strips causes it to be a little louder than the other, so I am now using the quieter one.

I can get OCD about things like this, but here's the thing.. Now that I am tuning into this hum and trying to eliminate it, it has become obvious to me that my whole friggin house is full of the exact same 60 Hz hum. As I sit here in my music listening room with the Brio-r powered on and no source flowing through it, I am about 8 feet from the speakers. I cannot hear the hum through the speakers at all, but I can clearly hear the same dang hum coming from my refrigerator in the other room, and also from the furnace (air handler) that is blowing right now.

I live in a high end custom house that I built 7 years ago, and I did not install a generator. Where I live we have somewhat frequent power outages due to thunderstorms. When the power goes out, it is totally quiet in this house with no 60 Hz hum at all. But when the power is flowing normally everything hums all together - the fridge, the elevator, bathroom fans, the heater, the air conditioning units - everything.

So while the OCD part of me wants to get this amp to sing with no hum, I have to just chill the heck out because I can't stop the rest of my house from humming. I'll just resort to headphones when I can't take that concert B anymore. Kinda sucks, but I'll take this over living in a tent!

I am going to try this Brio-r with my old Boston Accoustics A 40 Series 2, and see if the hum volume changes at all.

aneveu

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I just discovered that the speaker wire does not match between my left and right speakers. The left has the louder hum and the wire is a higher gauge (thinner wire) and probably not as well shielded. I may try swapping the wires and see if that makes any difference. If it does, I may try buying some heavily shielded speaker wire. Does anyone think I am onto something here??

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
More details needed on loudness of hum. When in quiet room, how far away once you start hearing from speaker?

Same with the hum from case. How far when quiet can you here it?

I had several humming brio r's. I'm guessing yours is excessive. Can you get a replacement? Rega would swap if you contacted them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts