Humax PVR issues - have I made a terrible mistake...?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Just over a month ago I got to the end of my tether with my glitchy Sky HD box and jacked it in in favour of a Humax PVR9300T (i figured I could download any programmes that I would have watched on Sky1).

Having lived with the Humax for a few weeks now I have experienced several issues with the box appearing to 'reset' itself - i.e. I'll turn it on and my picture preference has been lost, all my timer recordings have ben lost and all the things that should have been recorded haven't been. To say that this is frustrating is an understatement - it was issues similar to this that led me to get rid of that confounded Thompson Sky HD box!

Has anyone had similar experiences? All I want is a PVR with good performance, that will reliably record the TV programmes I ask it to. Is that an unreasonable expectation?

Any ideas what the best thing to do with the Humax is? I've checked and there don't seem to be any software updates available. If I go back to Richer Sounds and they say all they can do is send it off for repair then I may go mental! Apart from the inconvenience, given that it's an intermittent problem it's just inevitable that their engineers would not be able replicate it. Do I have any right to an exchange or refund?

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
We've owned the PVR9200T for about 4 years now and have never really had any problems other than when the available HDD space gets much below 15% it becomes a lot slower and less reliable. Other than that I'd have to say it's great. Brilliant picture and great sound and very versatile.

As you had similar problems with your Sky box maybe it's something that you're doing? I always leave ours either switched on or on standby - are you switching yours off at the mains? If you are and it's for any length of time I think most of these devices revert to factory settings.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dan, my 9300T has proved a little problematic too, not quite the same issues you're having, but a pain none the less. My box will stop responding, it won't do anything until I've powered it down and back up again, it doesn't lose any settings though. This can also happen whilst it's recording, sometimes it'll continue recording until I notice it's not responding (17 hours of Channel 4 is its personal record so far!) and other times it'll only record part of a program before freezing, and if there are subsequent programs scheduled it won't record those either.
I guess it's quite annoying, but it doesn't do it all the time so I think I'll live with it for now.
Having said that I think I might contact Humax to make them aware of my problems, might be an idea if you do too, perhaps they'll correct them with the next software upgrade?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts