Humax foxsat HD or Technisat HDFS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I need a freesat box, do not required a recorder. Was wondering which one should I go for? Humax foxsat HD or Techisat HDFS, any suggestions?

Thanks

daveh75

Both excellent boxes (and the only single tuner Freesat boxes worth considering, imo) and you won't be disappointed with either.

Personally i would go for the HDFS over the Foxsat though, it's slightly better VFM as it offers more features (limited PVR functionality, media streamimg from networked PC etc) and has a 3 year warranty as opposed to Humax's 1-2 year depending where you buy it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dave

3yr warranty does it for me, will go for the Technisat hdfs

Today, I exchanged our 6 month old Foxsat HD box for a Technisat. I had wanted the latter originally, having seen it in our local Tesco (and heard they were sellling them off for £19 (nineteen GBP)) but in the event our Sky sub was about to expire and the prospect of keeping the familiy calm without TV was to much to contemplate! So, when only the Humax was available, I bought it for £119.

It worked pretty well and we liked the picture, especially the HD channels. However, we had to switch it on in a particular order to avoid the GSOD (green screen of death) which is a well known, er, characterstic of the Humax. Something to do with 'handshaking' with the TV via HDMI. We learned to live with it, usually solved by switching off the telly and restarting it, or flicking to another input and back again.

As of last weekend these workarounds ceased to work. It was Green all the way, except via Scart - hence no HD picture.

After a couple of calls to Tesco, and some unconvincing suggestions, they agreed an exchange. Arriving at the original store I saw the Technisat, and asked if I could have that rather than another Humax (now listed at £129). By all means, said the nice man.

So now we have the Technisat. Better picture, slightly, in HD than the Humax, and slightly worse in non-HD. But pretty close overall. Nicer box display in Technisat, showing channel name , not just number, e.g. BBC One HD, rather than 108. And it looks better made, and (as above) has a 3 year guarantee.

Only downside of the Technisat, no iPlayer facility AFAIK, which we never used anyway as the whole family use laptops for that. [The Sony telly in my sig is in another house, where both TV and Bluray player can do iPlayer.]

So, happy to endorse the Technisat choice!

daveh75

nopiano said:
Only downside of the Technisat, no iPlayer facility AFAIK, which we never used anyway as the whole family use laptops for that. [The Sony telly in my sig is in another house, where both TV and Bluray player can do iPlayer.]

It does have BBC iPlayer access, though not ITVPlayer yet.

daveh75 said:
nopiano said:

It does have BBC iPlayer access, though not ITVPlayer yet.

That's a surprise, as the manual seems to be silent on that. How do you access iPlayer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts