HTC One X - Initial impressions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If u want to try a different supplier, Tescomobile are still offering the black phone free on Tmobile on a 24month £26/month contract with 300mins/750MBdata/500texts plus unlimited text booster.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One X is only a couple of mm larger than the SG2 as it has a much smaller bezel top/bottom. To me it also feels slightly lighter in the hand (though the sg2 is meant to be a few g lighter).

Once you're used to a big screen you won't want to go back. The higher res on the One X makes the SG2 look poor in comparison.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Well, mine arrived today. But the sim they said they would send didn't, so I spent 20 mins with a pair of scissors and a file making my current one smaller :)

All charged up, a couple of hours downloading, setting up, testing, saw the battery drop about 35%! But then I guess that was extreme usage.

As for build, screen etc, all looks great. No flicker, no creaks etc.

It updated to 1.28 software version immediately too.

It isn't as big as I'd thought, I guess it's a wider ratio than my DHD, as it's a tiny bit wider, and a bit taller, and lighter...One handed, no problems.

Gonna go test a skype call now :)

Very nice so far.

:)

Sliced Bread

Well some good news:
It looks like the screen corruption issue has been fixed in the latest firmware update 1.29.

The flicker should have been fixed, but there are still some reports of the issue on the latest 1.29 release.

With these issues fixed I would highly recommend the phone. Having said that, I'm still a little put out by HTC's approach. I'll see if the SGS3 is any good if not it'll be an iphone 4S or maybe a One X again if they completely resolve the flicker :).

Sliced Bread

Credit due where credits due.

I received a phone call from HTC today to discuss my experiences. They were very receptive and apologized for miscommunications.

It did make me feel a bit better towards them, because at least I know they read the feedback.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Just to give Android owners an idea of how fast the HOX is compared to older android phones...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29hccltfjaurco4/2012-05-12%2000.26.16.png

(Unlocked, rooted and running LeeDroid 5.1.0 rom)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Just to give Android owners an idea of how fast the HOX is compared to older android phones...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29hccltfjaurco4/2012-05-12%2000.26.16.png

(Unlocked, rooted and running LeeDroid 5.1.0 rom)

Braver man than me voiding your warranty so early on! :)

A

Anonymous

I got offered a brand new One X this morning, still sealed in the box. The price was right (very right) so i said i'd take it, the plan being to sell it on, BUT, i bumped into a chap this morning who had one, i had a play for a few minutes and my iPhone 4S is now up for sale :), what an incredible machine, roll on this evening 8)

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
ooh.. said:
I got offered a brand new One X this morning, still sealed in the box. The price was right (very right)

It's stolen then?
No, i er, don't deal in stolen goods. It's an unwanted upgrade, i'm also getting a new 8gb iPhone 4 of him, also unlocked, e600 (Euros) for the pair :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
The_Lhc said:
ooh.. said:
I got offered a brand new One X this morning, still sealed in the box. The price was right (very right)

It's stolen then?
No, i er, don't deal in stolen goods. It's an unwanted upgrade, i'm also getting a new 8gb iPhone 4 of him, also unlocked, e600 (Euros) for the pair :)

He got two unwanted upgrades? Curious.

You certainly get "offered" a lot of "unwanted" items though. More than any person I've ever known.

A

Anonymous

If you stop being bold I may even send you over one of them, though cash would be wanted :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
If you stop being bold I may even send you over one of them, though cash would be wanted :)

Yes, I can imagine sterling is quite valuable over there at the moment, but I don't have the disposable cash that you have to buy another phone when mine's still got time left on the contract.

A

Anonymous

Most are in the same boat, hence the amount of new smartphones around, they're keeping their old one's and selling the upgrades. The chap I'm getting these from runs his own business and has sold me four iPhones and a galaxy S2 already.

SteveR750

ooh.. said:
Most are in the same boat, hence the amount of new smartphones around, they're keeping their old one's and selling the upgrades. The chap I'm getting these from runs his own business and has sold me four iPhones and a galaxy S2 already.

Why doesn't he sell them on and cut out the middle man...unless you're making a loss of course ;)

A

Anonymous

SteveR750 said:
ooh.. said:

Why doesn't he sell them on and cut out the middle man...unless you're making a loss of course ;)
Hi Steve, many prefer to deal with someone they know, less hassle and a fast sale, plus, they don't always put up the best adds, I've often bought a poorly advertised phone that went under many peoples radar, and sold it for a nice profit, because I'm good at advertising them :)

Sliced Bread

ooh.. said:
I got offered a brand new One X this morning, still sealed in the box. The price was right (very right) so i said i'd take it, the plan being to sell it on, BUT, i bumped into a chap this morning who had one, i had a play for a few minutes and my iPhone 4S is now up for sale :), what an incredible machine, roll on this evening 8)
It's a really nice phone isn't it :)
Now the problems seem to be ironed out (more or less) I may buy another one (currently One X, S3 and 4S in the running).
How do you find it now compares to the iphone 4S?

A

Anonymous

Sliced Bread said:
ooh.. said:
It's a really nice phone isn't it :) Now the problems seem to be ironed out (more or less) I may buy another one (currently One X, S3 and 4S in the running). How do you find it now compares to the iphone 4S?

It's a lovely phone and I'm very impressed by it, so far I've not had any problems at all, touch wood.

How does it compare to the 4S? Hmmmm, I think when one is as used to iOS as I am it's a major culture shock moving to a phone with a differerent OS, and in the past when I've been seduced by an Android phone it's not been long before my familiarity of use of iPhones has led me back to them, but I'm going to stick with this one for a while as I think it's worth it.

I'll put it this way, if it ran iOS I'd say it was better than the 4S, even if it had the iPhone keyboard I'd probably say it was better (the iPhone keyboard is brilliant, IMO), so it's really just a case of giving myself time to get used to the different ways it operates and I think it'll be a keeper, it's screen is simply stunning and call quality is great, google maps looks very good on it and renders very quickly, navigation is excellent, the camera quality is for me, on a par with the 4S but offers more features, it's an excellent phone.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Sliced Bread said:
ooh.. said:
It's a really nice phone isn't it :) Now the problems seem to be ironed out (more or less) I may buy another one (currently One X, S3 and 4S in the running). How do you find it now compares to the iphone 4S?

It's a lovely phone and I'm very impressed by it, so far I've not had any problems at all, touch wood.

How does it compare to the 4S? Hmmmm, I think when one is as used to iOS as I am it's a major culture shock moving to a phone with a differerent OS, and in the past when I've been seduced by an Android phone it's not been long before my familiarity of use of iPhones has led me back to them, but I'm going to stick with this one for a while as I think it's worth it.

I'll put it this way, if it ran iOS I'd say it was better than the 4S, even if it had the iPhone keyboard I'd probably say it was better (the iPhone keyboard is brilliant, IMO), so it's really just a case of giving myself time to get used to the different ways it operates and I think it'll be a keeper, it's screen is simply stunning and call quality is great, google maps looks very good on it and renders very quickly, navigation is excellent, the camera quality is for me, on a par with the 4S but offers more features, it's an excellent phone.

Google navigation is amazing these days. I wonder if Tom Tom and Garmin are a bit peed off that it's free. I especially love the fact you can overlay the satellite image and navigate with a full view of your surroundings.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been fortunate to get my hands on a Samsung GS3 for the weekend and I'm very impressed. The whole thing feels very slick and smooth.

Minor gripe is the positioning of the volume key meant I was often altering the notification volume when trying to lock the phone (they're opposite one another). All in all though, it's the first time in a long while that I'm considering ditching iOS.

daveh75

ooh.. said:
I'll put it this way, if it ran iOS I'd say it was better than the 4S, even if it had the iPhone keyboard I'd probably say it was better (the iPhone keyboard is brilliant, IMO),

Install a different keyboard, one of the benefits of a (relatively) open OS is you can customise it. There's loads to choose from...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts