How was the show for you?

astracouple

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
I visited the show this morning. £15 to get in!
emotion-39.gif

Smaller and less exhibitors than last year.
emotion-6.gif

Many big names missing.
emotion-3.gif

Not enough exhibitors, especially in the Stuff area.
emotion-15.gif

Come on Haymarket you must be able to do better!
emotion-20.gif

Does anyone else have a view?
emotion-47.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="astracouple"]

Does anyone else have a view?
emotion-47.gif

[/quote]

i was there just1 hour ago and i through it was ok but i did expect more for the price, there where however some good points the pioneer room was good fantastic those speakers .cyrus also had a fab showroom i cant say i didnt enjoy myself but i felt alot was missing sony could have had a ps3 room where to show off all its capabilitiesand a few more staff to ask questions only two of them ,mordaunt short wasnt there ,samsung neither i didnt see Andrew or Clare anywhere monitor audio didnt have any speakers hoked up for us to have a listen and so on .... so next year you guys know we expect a bit more this is not a complaint im just pointing it out in a positive and creative way

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I don't know, Andrew and I have one day 'off' (to update this site!!)...

And sorry you missed Morduant Short - their speakers were featured in both the Cambridge Audio and Marantz suites.

I'll pass your comments back to our exhibitions department, but I would point out that our Show has more exhibitors - and many, many more big names - than any other UK hi-fi show....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
I don't know, Andrew and I have one day 'off' (to update this site!!)...

And sorry you missed Morduant Short - their speakers were featured in both the Cambridge Audio and Marantz suites.

I'll pass your comments back to our exhibitions department, but I would point out that our Show has more exhibitors - and many, many more big names - than any other UK hi-fi show....

[/quote]

i saw the mordaunt short in the cambridge audio but mordaunt short didnt have astand of theyr own how ever i trust this will be better next year ps tanck for your efforts with my tiket very much apreciated darling

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"]but mordaunt short didnt have astand of theyr own[/quote]

No, because Mordaunt-Short is distributed in Europe (including here) by Maramtz, hence its speakers were on show in the Marantz room.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I went this afternoon and thought it was ok. £15 is a lot to get in to see what I feel was a small range of manufacturers. Where were the likes of Quad, Epos, B&W, Wharfedale, Tannoy, NAD etc etc. Someone should also have told Arcam that being in an 'Ideal Home Show' metal frame on the ground floor wasn't very good for their brand when compared with their competition like Cyrus and Naim who both had good rooms. These two were the highlights for me. I went looking to buy a set or two of bookshelf speakers for the kitchen and bedroom and the only place I saw anything decent was in the Pure room, where they had a set of Epos M5s.

astracouple

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Tannoy, NAD both were exhibiting, Tannoy with Icon and NAD with Armour but you'd struggle to find them - did you read the show guide? They are both listed.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="sex"]but mordaunt short didnt have astand of theyr own[/quote]

No, because Mordaunt-Short is distributed in Europe (including here) by Maramtz, hence its speakers were on show in the Marantz room.

[/quote]
i dint know that !

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]Where were the likes of Quad, Wharfedale, etc etc. [/quote]

IAG - parent company of Quad and Wharfedale - had a demo suite at the Show, but chose to focus on two of its other brands: Mission and Audiolab.

A

Anonymous

From a home cinama perspective I have to say I was a little disappointed. To not have Panasonic, Samsung ,Toshiba and Philips directly displaying does leave a rather big hole. Pioneer had some great displays and the WHFS&V demo was well worth seeing - so thats what 'Transformers' is all about !!. LG also seemed to be displaying every model they make. On balance,however, I think £15 was a bit steep.

A big C.E.S. once a year may just about do it for me.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I just got back!!! Quite sad that we didn't meet Andrew :-( but Simon did look after us well.-)

Naim set up was poor, the awesome superNait sound so bright in that horrid accoustic room but still manage to sound PRaTy. WB Square was the star for me....my hair stood up all the way through the demo, FANTASTIC.

The £70,000 HD show was OK! I thought the first half was great as it really have a feeling of watching movie in the real cinema, the B part however remind us that we were watcing a big TV! Very clear picture and great sound though. (I think that stack of Arcams was breath taking)

My highlight however was in Clearer Audio's room. A nice little debate about "How could 1 metre of power cable can improve sound quality?" My mate is a high up electronic Engineer so we told him exactly that we think they are a waste of money. The young chap who design the Clearer Audio products (forgot his name) was great. He explained to us right down to the very last details why his products WILL work and for the 1st time of countless debates I had in the past on the subject I was totally understand the concept. Even worst, I have to stop myself get the cash out from my wallet to buy all of their products, He sold his believe and passion to us in the most respectable way. Infact I will buy the silverline to try out!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]I don't know, Andrew and I have one day 'off' (to update this site!!)...[/quote]

Andrew update the website while Clare watched Ipswich Town got a lucky draw against the awesome Canaries. I miss the match for the show but my friends told me that if Alexandra wasn't on top form we could have won 7-2!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Thaiman"]Ibut Simon did look after us well.[/quote]

Poor Simon! Was he feeling better today?
[/quote]

I guess he doing just fine and couldn't wait to see me again, I have a picture to prove it! :)

A

Anonymous

I went to the sunday pm session. On the whole it was a good day. If nothing else the Kuro pioneer was worth seeing and I WILL have that TV before long.

Another good demo was the WHFSAV demo of Hi def. The Dalis were awaesome and the only really exceptional demo of the day.

My gripes were mainly around the lack of Hi Fi equiptment on show. The emphasis was heavily weighted toward Home cinema and stands like Arcam were lazy to say the least with just 2 Solo players. I was also greeted to the MA stand with the demonstartors moaning to each other that there was only 2 hours left before they could go home!

The most helpful exhibitor i found was velodyne who were enthusiastic and offered some really useful advice.

My biggest disappointment was the lack of the manufacturers like B&W, KEF, REGA. and of course not meeting any forum members depsite me keeping a watchful eye out for any elvis look a like's!!

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a a lot of hard work went into the show - give yourselves a pat on the back WHFS&V!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="leemal"]and of course not meeting any forum members depsite me keeping a watchful eye
out for any elvis look a like's!![/quote]

same me and i did look out for elvis but i didnt spot him ho well next time

Juzzie Wuzzie

What I thought was the highlight of the show:

- listening to Faithless in the Marantz room. Maxi Jazz's voice reproduction was unbelievable.

But what WAS the highlight:

- listening to Metallica (not a fan) with the NYC Orchestra in the Cyrus room. That was off the wall, unbelievable. Has me seriously considering a Cyrus system (I like the 3.1 idea, but would miss HDMI switching).

And, if the ladies avert their eyes, the moment of sheer marketing madness was:

- the three 'show girls' doing a leg work out on the Power Plate.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"][quote user="leemal"]and of course not meeting any forum members depsite me keeping a watchful eye out for any elvis look a like's!![/quote] same me and i did look out for elvis but i didnt spot him ho well next time[/quote]

There was a bloke who look Italian in front of me while we were waiting to go in a HD demo room. I tap his sholder and ask him "Are you sex?" He look a bit confused at first and then look at me disgutingly!
I suppose it could be worst....he could wink at me!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="sex"][quote user="leemal"]and of course not meeting any forum members depsite me keeping a watchful eye out for any elvis look a like's!![/quote] same me and i did look out for elvis but i didnt spot him ho well next time[/quote] There was a bloke who look Italian in front of me while we were waiting to go in a HD demo room. I tap his sholder and ask him "Are you sex?" He look a bit confused at first and then look at me disgutingly! I suppose it could be worst....he could wink at me![/quote] lol mate i told you i have a big tattoo on my neck u could have check before u asked the poor lad if he was sex !lol lovl

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
He had a scarf around his neck! I thought asking him was a better way than pulling his scarf off! He might hit me one (as it turn out he could have hit me one anyway!)

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I guess he doing just fine and couldn't wait to see me again, I have a picture to prove it! :)[/quote]

Thaiman, I thought we'd discussed ownership of that photograph. The money is on its way - used bills, non-sequential, just as you specified.

BTW, the bloke at Clearer Audio is Darren, and you're right - he's very enthusiastic. His products are generally pretty decent, too.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Simon Lucas"] His products are generally pretty decent, too.[/quote]

I will let you know how is my golden ears get on with them. Simon, I wish you would tell me if you have a bad cold! - I would never let you give me a peck on the cheek....my nose are all block up and soar troat too.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
For me it was a mixed show. I would have liked to see more
pure hifi demonstrations.

That been said the AV demo I found most enjoyable was that
of the Optoma. I could have spent the whole afternoon there.

I also enjoyed the Wilson Benesch, which was like an oasis.
The detail present reminded me of Lowthers and the kind of clarity you get with
them.

I enjoyed meeting the Sonos people and their products. I
had considered their range about a year ago before investing in a
Roku/Ethernet/Maxtor Nas set up. Now Sonos have heavily reduced their prices
this makes this a temping proposition again.

I had a long and very enjoyable chat with the technical
director of Chord Cables. I was surprised that he knew my speakers and cable
(both Townshend). I told him of my dilemma, that I needed to find a second
cable to go with the Townshend Isolda (biwire). He suggested another pair of
Isolda cables.I told him I could not afford a second pair (first pair
bought from EBay at 40% of new cost). He tentatively suggested some Chord
Rumour but stressed I needed to borrow some from a shop to try it out. Not
really a hard sell which was very refreshing.

I was also impressed Fatman products for playing ipod/MP3 sources
through valve equipment. I am not a fan of MP3 but the Fatman amps where both
stylish and sounded very good. I could live with that sound. My sister who cam
with even hinted that she would like one of these for Xmas (maybe if I win the
lottery).
emotion-1.gif

The only really down side happened after the show. Being
disabled I rely on travelling by car. I contacted the show organiser who
advised me that there was disabled parking available at the hotel. So I arrived
(Blue disabled cards in hand) and we parked in the hotel car park. Imagine my
surprise (No disgust would be a better word) at being charged £12. If I knew
that I would be charged I might not have come.
emotion-39.gif
emotion-60.gif

It is the height of hotel greed that they charge such
a price for people who can not travel by busses/public transport and have to
rely on cars and parking a reasonable distance away. From my perspective it is
a kind of discrimination that I will be referring to friends of mine who work
on various publications concerning people with disabilities. I will be
interested in there opinions.
emotion-6.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts