How to use Sub-Woofer when in Pure Audio mode?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My kit is in my signature. When using the Pure Audio mode on my amp this kills the signal to the sub woofer. The music quality is much improved when this is done but some music could sound better with a bit of underpinning from my Sub.

My Sub is currently connected via a long LFE lead on the other side of the room. If you see the picture below I could site it near my front speakers then I could run directly speaker wire to the Sub's inputs. However my instructions say that I should not have LFE connected at the same time.

000011_704432d86957a48uqghx08.jpg

I am assuming that the direct speaker wiring would allow the Sub to work in Pure Audio mode?

Will disconnecting the LFE affect 5.1 play back of films?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
yes if you wire in parallel using high level inputs with the main speakers will allow the sub to work in pure audio mode - if it says you can't wire lfe and direct at same time don't - the .1 audio track in home cinema carries a lot of information - i am in same situation as you and been looking into subs that can allow both connections at once - if i have read the instructions right rel subs do and they will even add the two together so can be connected to both all the time for movies will add the .1 soundtrack to extra bass for the fronts

i currently have the arcam logo and that does the same

Messiah

As for the Sub, some Amps (like Pioneer) have a setting so that you can
run the fronts and a sub. Not sure about the Yamaha as its been a while
since I have had one. On the Pioneer you set the sub to 'Plus' and it
would work in all modes.....

A

Anonymous

Cheers Messiah, tried to make the pic smaller but the template wouldn't let me write another 4 figure number.

I don't think my Yammy has that option but I will check. Would save me some aggro.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I know it does not help with your sub but REL's (and MJ Acoustics - I think?) allow you to connect via the .1 input (phono) for movies etc and then via a Neutrik Speakon connection direct off the main L & R binding posts of the amp to underpin bass in stereo etc applications. Both are connected permanently and both are used at the same time - when needed. You then have seperate level controls for each input and fine tune to suit. As my speakers are not full range this works very well.

PS - nice looking system, I have mine sunk through a studded wall with large cupboards the other side to hide everything and allow easy access to cables etc. I always feel that a nice plasma on the wall is spoilt by an obtrusive rack with all the full size kit on which we so highly prize.

Cheers Si.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the yamaha ax763 and had the same problem, go into the basic sound menu and change LFE/bass out to 'both'

Cheers

A

Anonymous

soulton:
Hi,

I know it does not help with your sub but REL's (and MJ Acoustics - I think?) allow you to connect via the .1 input (phono) for movies etc and then via a Neutrik Speakon connection direct off the main L & R binding posts of the amp to underpin bass in stereo etc applications. Both are connected permanently and both are used at the same time - when needed. You then have seperate level controls for each input and fine tune to suit. As my speakers are not full range this works very well.

PS - nice looking system, I have mine sunk through a studded wall with large cupboards the other side to hide everything and allow easy access to cables etc. I always feel that a nice plasma on the wall is spoilt by an obtrusive rack with all the full size kit on which we so highly prize.

Cheers Si.

Thanks for the comments. I have connected my Sub via RCA leads from the left and right Outputs sockets from the amp (Despite the manual stating speakers should not be connected when Outputs in use). I have changed the LFE/Bass Out settings in the amp to Front rather than Both and turned the Subs internal crossover down to 40Hz. I had to tweak the volume a bit but it works well for films and music. It also works now as desired with 'Pure Direct' enabled on the amp.

The downside now is the positioning. Ideally I will have to place the Sub between my left speaker and system. There is a free mains socket on the wall that side. The right hand side powers the rest of the system and I don't really want to share that with a 1kw Sub. The Sub actuall sounds better that side of the room as it is given room to boom. At the back fo the room it is firing into the back of my sofa. Although it is supposed to be omnidirectional to my ear it is biasing the bass to the left.

I think it is possible to place it at the back again if I connect the original LFE lead via a Y connection on the back of the amp and just into the LFE socket on the Sub, any comments?

Thanks for your comments about the system. I built this house in Ireland and the AV system was always part of my plans. However originally it was to be placed on the opposite wall. I have installed underfloor heating throughout the house and a chimney seemed unnecessary. Apart from that to me the TV was always going to be the focus over the fire and the room would be at odds with itself. So as a consequence I boxed out and shelved the fireplace with surplus oak flooring and mocked up a black tile front to complement the colour of the AV equipment. The TV going on the chimney breast allows me to pull the speakers well away from the wall without being to far ahead of the LCD. The MA RS8's need to be far out I found or the bass gets overblown.

A

Anonymous

j_fowler:
Hi,

I have the yamaha ax763 and had the same problem, go into the basic sound menu and change LFE/bass out to 'both'

Cheers

Thanks for your help Fowler. I did already have Sub set to Both. The Sub would not play when in 'Pure Direct' mode as this turned off the audio circuitry that sent the LFE signal. Mind you you did help me solve part of my problem as I set the LFE/Bass Out mode to Front which sends all LFE and Bass signals to the front speakers. This means the amp now thinks my front speakers can handle the bass but the Sub plays anything below 40Hz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts