HOW TO...Setup Foobar2000 to use WASAPI

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
PJPro:Cpt.Issues:......I'm running in 'Audio Creation Mode', all setting disabled except bit-matched playback but the drop-down list for Digital Output (PCM) Sampling Rate Settings is greyed out?......Hmm. Within the Settings dialog I am able to set the Master Sampling Rate in the Clock Settings sheet (I use 44.1kHz), I can select some headphone options in the Headphones sheet (I have both check boxes unchecked) and I can enable bit-matched playback in the Bit-Matched sheet (I have the single checkbox checked). Cpt.Issues:......Under SPDIF out properties in the windows sound panel all sample rates are supported up to 96.0kHz. I can test all successfully and the control volume slider affects the volume level in the control panel does this mean the sound is being up-sampled? I've set the sample rate to 44.1kHz (Supported Formats sheet). I've set the SPDIF out slider (Levels sheet) to 100%.Under the Advanced sheet I've selected 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100Hz (CD Quality) as the Default Format and checked both check boxes under the Exlusive Mode options.In my humble opinion, you don't want Windows or Creative software doing anything other than get the signal to the DAC. Clearly, you can experiment to see which settings you prefer.

The option to set the sample rate is greyed out in the console version I have however I notice when running Foobar it changes it to 44.1kHz and locks out the volume mixer in windows, looks to be working fine just appears I can't change the sample rate manually. Sounds great anyhow, thanks for the guide!

A

Anonymous

Great article PJ!

Despite being a bit simple on the old computer, managed to use the plug in on Foobar for Windows 7, showing up perfectly in Preferences and outputs as WASAPI, but it sounds very distorted... Is this a compatibility issue with my soundcard?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Pablo

A

Anonymous

Gents, firstly thanks to PJPro for the guidance.

As my first post here it's a shame that I come armed with a problem but that, I guess, is the nature of the beast. So here it is.

I've just purchased a laptop for the sole purpose of connecting it to my hi-fi via an HRT Music Streamer II USB DAC.

The laptop, being new, runs Windows 7.

I had installed Winamp for the purpose of playing hi rez audio and it does so perfectly well. However, I learnt that, regardless of what resolution files I was playing, the DAC constantly reported them to be 96kHz files due to Windows 7 insisting that it sets a default.

I understand, from the CEO of HRT no less, that this causes no problem except that, to get the best from CD quality files (ie, those at 44.1kHz), I should manually reset the default. This is, of course, a pain, but one I'm prepared to live with if necessary.

However, this thread suggested that I could get around the problem using WASAPI so I have carefully followed all instructions; installed Foobar2000, imported and set up the WASAPI dll and pressed play.

All good and fine except that I get choppy playback and NO amount of tinkering with the buffer length can stop it. Reducing the buffer to 230ms makes a significant improvement but doesn't solve the problem. Lower than that and things get far worse.

I'm reluctant to abandon this as it will obviously provide ease of use benefits. Can anyone offer any advice?

Much obliged.

Paul

erickcid

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I was searching around for a good wasapi player, and thanks to you I now realize I already have one in foobar2000.

I am satisfied with it; after using Itunes with windows audio session and hearing how much better it sounded, I needed a good WASAPI that was not as format limited as iTunes, so thanks to you and foobar2000.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts