HOW TO...Setup Foobar2000 to use WASAPI

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thought I'd see what I could do with my current PC setup to improve sound quality without spending any money. My setup is....

MS Vista Service Pack 1.
Creative Sound Blaster Xfi Extreme Gamer.
Beresford TC-7510 DAC.
Grado SR80 Headphones.
Foobar2000, WinAmp, WMP

What I wanted to do was bypass the audio processing performed by windows to ensure that a bit perfect audio stream arrived at my DAC. I knew of a couple of ways to do this.....ASIO and Kernel Streaming

I gave ASIO a whirl and downloaded the plugins for Foobar2000 and WinAmp. With FooBar2000 I experienced modest improvements in sound quality. I couldn't get ASIO working with WinAmp.

OK, but I wanted more.

So I took a look at Kernel Streaming and stumbled across Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI). WASAPI is a new feature for Vista and allows playback of an unaltered bitstream without passing it through the Windows Mixer. I just so happens that a new plugin has been released for Foobar2000 to use this API (Application Programming Interface).

This was simple to configure (see instructions below) and has provided me with a worthwhile audio improvement. I suspect that much of this has been gained from actually releasing the full potential of the DAC as much as anything else.

Anyway, I thought it was worth making others aware of my findings and provide instructions detailing how to go about it.

I haven't managed to find a WASAPI plugin for WinAmp.

To read more about WASAPI in Foobar2000 see this.

To read more about WASAPI in Vista see this.

Configuration Instructions

Go to the Foobar2000 components page here and click the link for WASAPI output support

or click this link to download the zip file directly.

The following dialog is displayed.

2867907053_ee8b04cb7d.jpg

Click Save and save the zip file to your hard drive.

Just to be safe, scan the zip for viruses then, assuming it is virus free, extract the files.

Copy the file foo_out_wasapi.dll into your Foobar2000 component folder. Mine can be found at C:program Filesfoobar2000components.

Open Foobar2000 and select File | Preferences and the Preferences window opens. Select the Components node in the tree to check that WASAPI output support is available.

2867907309_26f0b6282a.jpg

Expand Playback and click Output

2868740700_d3945bd9a3.jpg

Select the appropriate WASAPI device in the Output Device drop down list.

2867907741_45cfd8f02c.jpg

For me, this is the WASAPI SPDIF Out (Creative SB Xfi).

2868741110_f8460c839d.jpg

Then click Save All.

Some people have experienced problems with choppy playback. There is a fix. Simply reduce the Buffer Length (see previous image). Some posters on other sites have reduced the buffer length to as low as 250ms.

EDIT: I have also set my X-fi soundcard, using the latest Creative Console Launcher, to accept an audio stream of 44.1kHz, thereby eliminating any upsampling of the signal on my PC.

Apart from the improved sound quality, you will know that this has worked because the volume slider in the task tray has no effect on volume levels during playback. Moreover, a delay has been introduced in the volume slider in Foobar.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:I'll be honest, PJ, I work in IT and I read your subject and had no idea what it meant!

I have provided this supporting thread. Hope this helps.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:This is why I use iTunes, PJ.
Yes, I understand the convenience. However, if I were to take that stance all the way I would be using a one box solution for hifi/av.

Yourself and most posters on this site spent an inordinate amount of time and money mixing components, plugging them together using many different iinterconnects, etc and talking/posting/reading about them on this site. Why not spend the same effort on sorting out your PC source?

OK, if you are using OS X and iTunes...perhaps there's nothing you can do. But if you're using a PC running Windows, there are lots of options and configurations.

A

Anonymous

a bit off topic but PJPro, how much difference in sound quality is there when you bypass your DAC and plug a 3.5mm -> twin RCA lead straight into your amp from your sound card?

ÿJust curious cause I listen to all my music thru my PC myselfÿ

A

Anonymous

PJPro.. thanks for the article.

I was just wondering (before I migrate the whole music collection to foobar2000 from Winamp) if the above methods are useful with CA DACMagic (I connect it through USB)?

I am using Windows Vista.

Thanks

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
To use WASAPI you need your player and soundcard to implement the WASAPI interface. Foobar2000 does this. I think we can regard the DAC Magic as an external soundcard.....but I do not believe there is a driver available which implements WASAPI.

So, either stick with Winamp or get a cheap soundcard which provides a WASAPI driver and connect that to your DAC via coaxial or optical.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Mix the wasabi powder with a little water, in a ratio of about 1:1. When you are ready to eat the sashimi, take a pinch of the wasabi with your hashi, and mix into some soy sauce in a dipping bowl.

Take a slice of the sashimi, dip in the wasabi/soy mix, eat.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I've got the WASAPI Foobar plugin working no problem. Output over USB to a Maplin Soundbox and then to Beresford DAC. No problems, easy to do. Can't see why it wouldn't work for a DACMagic over USB

What I really want is a Media Monkey WASAPI plug in.

A

Anonymous

PJ,

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I used to mess around with Foobar, ASIO, etc when I used an XP laptop as a source. I don't know if it ever worked correctly. ASIO4ALL wasn't always lighting up green. I suspect my Maplin Sound Box wasn't compatible, and I needed an external USB interface with its own drivers?

Thankfully I have a Mac now, so can use a nice interface, touch screen remote, and have upto 24/96 from the built-in digital output without any messing around.

A

Anonymous

Nejc Trdin:

PJPro.. thanks for the article.

I was just wondering (before I migrate the whole music collection to foobar2000 from Winamp) if the above methods are useful with CA DACMagic (I connect it through USB)?

I am using Windows Vista.

Thanks

Nerc - you can indeed setup WASAPI over Foobar and use with USB as I did this last night. Wasapi will show up in Foobar preferenecs and instead of the soundcard it will say USB Audio device (or smth similar).

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Updated original post to include setting the X-fi soundcard to 44.1kHz.

Where is this option in the console launcher? thanks

A

Anonymous

PJ Pro,

I came across this old thread and noticed you use the SPDIF of your X-Fi gamer set at 44.1 to feed your Beresford DAC.

I thought I'd better check whether as well as selecting 44.1khz in X-Fi console, you also have the facility on your card to enable "Bit Matched Playback" in Audio Creaton Mode as this is key on the X-Fi to bypassing the DSP and "getting bit perfect audio" ?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
l4d:
PJPro:Updated original post to include setting the X-fi soundcard to 44.1kHz.

Where is this option in the console launcher? thanks

You need to ensure that you're in Audio Creation Mode. If you look at the bottom left hand corner of the launcher dialog box, you'll see a setting button. Clicking this allows you to set the master sampling rate (44.1kHz.) and to enable bit-matched playback

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
bendrummond:
PJ Pro,

I came across this old thread and noticed you use the SPDIF of your X-Fi gamer set at 44.1 to feed your Beresford DAC.

I thought I'd better check whether as well as selecting 44.1khz in X-Fi console, you also have the facility on your card to enable "Bit Matched Playback" in Audio Creaton Mode as this is key on the X-Fi to bypassing the DSP and "getting bit perfect audio" ?

Yes. Thanks for pointing that out bendrummond but I already had that setting selected.

A

Anonymous

Hi PJPro,

Largely 'by your fault', I started to believe that PC music can sound like a proper Hi-Fi - thanks for that! I am using Foobar2000 now, and I have managed to make asio4all working with it on my Laptop (XP SP3). As far as I understand, now foobar is bypassing kernel mixer and is sending bit-perfect sound to the soundcard. But I still have doubts regarding my soundcard: is it just passing bit-perfect audio or is it resampling from 44.1 to 48 kHz and how can I check this? The thing that confuses me is that in asio control panel it reads "VIA High Definition Audio (Compatible); In: 2x48kHz, 16Bits; Out: 2x48kHz, 16Bits", but when I play music in foobar and move the cursor above asio control panel, it reads "2048 Samples at 44100Hz". I am confused?! *Output is through 3.5mm phono out, I am still saving for a DAC...

Thanks in advance,

Goran

A

Anonymous

How should I check the settings? I go to Control Panel ---> Sounds and Audio Devices and look at all tabs: Volume, Sounds, Audio, Voice and Hardware, but I can not found any settings regarding bit depth or bit rate. Any advice?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts