How to setup a new subwoofer (dali ikon sub mk2)

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
waiting for the correct UK power cable to come tomorrow then will setup my new sub! although i dont know what to do and kinda have forgotten what i read online over the months, turn the crossover frequency all the way around or something then change it on the AVR to a certain digit or something? im a subwoofer newbie!

also do i set my centre speaker as small or large after sub is setup? as cnet said set it to small..

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nugget, not sure which AV receiver you have but I would set the crossover on the receiver at around 80-100hz and let the sub do what it's best at with the bass - I would also set the rest of your speakers to 'small' on the receiver for the same reason.

Once you've done the basics you can mess around with other settings until you're happy - Enjoy!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
grdunn123 said:
Hi Nugget, not sure which AV receiver you have but I would set the crossover on the receiver at around 80-100hz and let the sub do what it's best at with the bass - I would also set the rest of your speakers to 'small' on the receiver for the same reason.

Once you've done the basics you can mess around with other settings until you're happy - Enjoy!

i have sony str-dn1040. if i set crossover to 80 that means the sub will produce all bass upto 80hz? so it was pointless me buying a sub that goes upto 200hz for example, when does the midbass end? cause if i was gonna listen to music i'd like some midbass too and i thought that was over 100?

will set it to 80hz as i've seen a lot of people suggest that. will see how it goes anyway

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Set my crossover to 80, gain is about 65% on the sub and set it to +10db on speaker settings, does this sound alright? Was hoping to position the sub better but the short power cable leaves only 1 location to use. I'm not completely wowed at the moment but maybe if I had a better position for the sub it would sound better. Also would I need something to isolate it even though it has it's own plinth? Don't have it anywhere near reference level

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK Nugget ,

You set your sub to max xover and max gain with the knobs on the back of it , then on the Sony set all speakers to "small" and sub to "yes" and the xover setting to 80 , turn that plus 10 dB to 0 , then plug your calibration mic in , place the mic at your listening postion ( a carry on suitcase sat on your armchair will get the mic at about head height ) Then run the Sony calibration program.

Then play some music and tweak it . I don't know your Sony but does it have an app' for your phone or pad ? if it does download it ,it may give you more info about the calibration its done .

What you dont want to hear is the sub as a separate speaker

Good Luck

James

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
AFAIK Nugget ,

You set your sub to max xover and max gain with the knobs on the back of it , then on the Sony set all speakers to "small" and sub to "yes" and the xover setting to 80 , turn that plus 10 dB to 0 , then plug your calibration mic in , place the mic at your listening postion ( a carry on suitcase sat on your armchair will get the mic at about head height ) Then run the Sony calibration program.

Then play some music and tweak it . I don't know your Sony but does it have an app' for your phone or pad ? if it does download it ,it may give you more info about the calibration its done .

What you dont want to hear is the sub as a separate speaker

Good Luck

James

thanks, i'll do that tomorrow! but my auto calibration sucks :/ always says environment is too noisy even with no background noise of anything and without me in room. and for some reason when i auto calibrate with the subwoofer it cant detect phase or distance of the sub yet i can hear the sub make noise! really dont wanna take receiver back to RS :(

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thats not good , is the Sony on your network , can you ask it to check for a software update, is there silence from all speakers in between test tones ? It could be the calibration mic faulty .

James

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Thats not good , is the Sony on your network , can you ask it to check for a software update, is there silence from all speakers in between test tones ? It could be the calibration mic faulty .

James

Network connect yes, all speakers make no noise in between tones. I'll have to ask them for another microphone perhaps it's already updated also

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts