How to set sky hd to 720p instead of 1080i...

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Would anyone know how i output 720p, instead of 1080i from my Sky HD box to kuro 4280xd?

I'm hoping the answer to the above question might help as I recently invested in 2 lengths of Chords hdmi 1.3 silver plus (sky hd to tv & ps3 to tv). I'm sitting a good 8ft away from the screen but when i'm watching a Sky HD channel the picture looks, erm, dare i say, disappointingly 'soft'?? I've seen, and was expecting much more clarity/finer detail.

Im sure Claire recently described in answer to a post that you can change the output of the sky box, but i can't find it anywhere, and I've given up looking for said post.....

Ive tried on 2 seperate occasions now to sit down and work my way through the user manual for the 4280, but good god that is one daunting piece of reading to put into practice, im still fairly sure that the tvs not set up right for some reason...

Any help/guidance with this would be much appreciated, as always...

Regards

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Services menu,press 4, press 1, choose HD Resolution Output, arrow left or right to choose 720p, scroll down to Save New Settings, click, done

But frankly I find leaving it on Automatic gives the best results.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

But frankly I find leaving it on Automatic gives the best results.

I second that.

Make sure you are actually watching an HD show before you worry about quality, too. Not all shows on HD channels are native HD... When Sky+ HD gets its new EPG (anytime soon) it'll allow you to have an option in the planner that shows all "true" HD content. More details here

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Certainly leave it on Auto, otherwise you're missing detail - the panel is 768, NOT 720. ÿThe only slight irritation is a delay when you go to a new resolution, but I can live with that. ÿI would also do an internet search which will give you detailed information (on another forum) on how to set up your Pioneer. ÿThese are my settings, almost the same as suggested:

AV SELECTION ÿ***MOVIE***

CONTRAST ÿ30

BRIGHTNESS ÿ 0

COLOUR ÿ-2

TINT ÿ+2 Towards Green

SHARPNESS ÿÿ0

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA

FILM MODE ÿOFF ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ(BLUE RAY/HD DVD Smooth or Advanced)ÿ

TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ

INTELIGENT MODE ÿOFF

ÿ

PICTURE DETAIL

DRE ÿÿLOW

BLACK LEVEL ÿOFF

ACL ÿOFF

ENHANCER MODE ÿÿ1

GAMMA ÿ2

COLOUR DETAIL ÿMANUAL (HOLD ENTER FOR 3 SECS)

COLOUR TEMP ÿ

ÿR High ÿ-2

ÿG High ÿ 0

ÿB High ÿ+2

ÿR Low ÿÿ-1

ÿG Low ÿ ÿ0

ÿB Low ÿ -1

CTI ÿOFF

COLOUR MANAGEMENT ÿ

ÿR ÿ 0

ÿY ÿ 0

ÿG ÿ 0

ÿc ÿ 0

ÿ ÿB ÿ 0

ÿM ÿ ÿ ÿ -7

COLOUR SPACE ÿ1ÿ

When I first entered the recommended settings, I too was rather disappointed with the lack of detail. ÿAfter altering the DRE, Enhancer Mode and Sharpness to the above, all my reservations disappeared. ÿI couldn't be happier with the picture - it's fantastic in every way. ÿHope this helps.

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all for your response.

Auto is the way forward, much better.

Hi Claire, does this mean that sky are occasionally running sd on hd channels...??

Many thanks for taking the time to offer those settings sorrel - a big improvement, some of the options really are daunting to explore without the correct advice and guidance! (I've searched for 4280 settings and the like but am bamboozled by the amount of forums to choose from, Am i allowed to ask which forums offer particularly good, useful advice on settings and the like? or is that a bit naughty...)

Regards

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Most HD channels on Sky (HD movie channels aside; oh, and BBC HD) are a mix of HD and SD content - eg Channel 4 HD, Sky 1 HD etc: typically the channels that are 'simulcasts' of the SD station, where there's an obvious blend of HD/SD programming.

But with more and more shows getting made in HD, the balance is tipping - and the new EPG will make it even easier to predict what'll be worth watching.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
If you do a search for 'Pioneer 8G' you'll find what you're looking for! ÿOne thing to remember (tested on another thread here) is that the Pioneer deals with SD material just about as well as the superior processing in an Onkyo 875. ÿIt's certainly more capable than the Sky box. ÿI have found that the best result is obtained when all sources are sent to the TV in their native resolution (DVD, for example).

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Presumably I'm not the only one with Sky HD that feels thoroughly cheated and ripped off in the fact that they have paid for HD channels, which are occasionally showing SD. Not once have I seen any promotional material telling you this in the small print, or during the booking on the phone or even during the installation did Sky make me aware of this...

I bought Sky HD because I wanted to watch HD - not sludgy SD with a HD logo in the corner...! Rant over, sorry.

Thankyou for the info Claire.

Thanks also to Sky for the new EPG when it arrives, so i can erm, see when the HD channels, are, erm showing HD...

Hi Sorrel, Hi i think im being a little bit basic here but how do i ensure that all sources are being sent to the tv in native resolutuion?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts