How to power 1210mkII and DIY kit speakers - Cobra Horn

Jul 10, 2022
Hi! I'm about to build a first pair of kit speakers from here: https://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/cobrahorn.htm

What interested me was efficiency, and a low price to get started with building speakers myself. They will be used in my art studio, which is about 6x6x6 meters. I mainly play jazz, hiphop, experimental/electronic music. Does anyone have a tip for going from my technics 1210mkII's to these speakers?
Wouldn't mind more kit building :)
Thanks!

Hi! I'm about to build a first pair of kit speakers from here: https://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/cobrahorn.htm

What interested me was efficiency, and a low price to get started with building speakers myself. They will be used in my art studio, which is about 6x6x6 meters. I mainly play jazz, hiphop, experimental/electronic music. Does anyone have a tip for going from my technics 1210mkII's to these speakers?
Wouldn't mind more kit building :)
Thanks!
Do you mean you want an amplifier solely to drive these speakers?
What is your budget?

Jul 10, 2022
A couple of turntables?
So have you got / do you want a mixer?
Because then you'd only need a power amp - and you'd have a quite of few of those to choose from in kit form.
Thanks Gray, I have a few mixers from other projects but all very ‘useful’/integrated in sculptures and for DJ-ing (such as a plywood Lamborghini Playstation racecar 👻). I would either use those for the time being, and/or look out for a new one to cover the phono preamp stage.

Jul 10, 2022
Do you mean you want an amplifier solely to drive these speakers?
What is your budget?
Al ears, yes! As you can see the speakers are quite cheap, but I also factor in my cabinet building time. I’m interested in any phono preamp/mixer + amp setup to start playing with this kit and more self build kits in the future. My everyday stereo uses a Marantz €600-ish integrated amp. Would love more flexibility with separate phono preamp/mixer though. Wouldn’t spend more than €1000 on this. Thanks!

Al ears, yes! As you can see the speakers are quite cheap, but I also factor in my cabinet building time. I’m interested in any phono preamp/mixer + amp setup to start playing with this kit and more self build kits in the future. My everyday stereo uses a Marantz €600-ish integrated amp. Would love more flexibility with separate phono preamp/mixer though. Wouldn’t spend more than €1000 on this. Thanks!
I see not too sure where the mixer bit comes into it, you either need a phono preamp/ preamp/power amp set-up which you are unlikely to get for your money, or an integrated amp with built in phono stage.
I know little about any self-build equivalents of these.
You might be able to pick up a second-hand valve integrated amplifier for your budget.

Jul 10, 2022
I see not too sure where the mixer bit comes into it, you either need a phono preamp/ preamp/power amp set-up which you are unlikely to get for your money, or an integrated amp with built in phono stage.
I know little about any self-build equivalents of these.
You might be able to pick up a second-hand valve integrated amplifier for your budget.
Any non self-build advice? (The mixer is for rare occasions where I set up 2 tables for parties. Not essential!)

Good shout....
Although cheapest I can find is £1095, however excellent even at that price
However there is a trade in on this site for £900

TRENDING THREADS