How much to spend on a Stereo Amp connected to my AVR

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi All
I have a Denon AVR X6400H which I have had for a couple of years. I have recently upgraded my speakers to Monitor Audio Gold G5 (200 L=R 250 Centre FX rears) I also have a velodine SPL1000 Ultra Sub. It all sounds incredible for Movies and for Concert Blu Rays which I watch a lot of. It comes to no surprise that although it sounds fantastic for movies and surround, the system falls down considerably in Stereo mode of music.

I am now in the process of looking for suitable stero amps to add to my system but my question is - On the basis of the equipment I already have what would you say the price range would be that I should be looking at an amp? Too cheap and I may as well stay with the AVR - too expensive and it would be overkill for my speakers. Initially I was looking at both the Roksan K3 and the Caspian with the logic that they are the same company so should be a good match. In my head that is the £1300 to £2000 mark...??
Thanks

shane

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with with K3 or Caspian Amps i myself looked at both these a couple of years ago and could not find much difference between the the two but finally i went for the K3 and saved a bit of money and put towards new speakers and i have not been disappointed, a great buy.

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with with K3 or Caspian Amps i myself looked at both these a couple of years ago and could not find much difference between the the two but finally i went for the K3 and saved a bit of money and put towards new speakers and i have not been disappointed, a great buy.

Great thanks for the info - what speakers do you have out of interest ?
Thanks

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
I went down a similar route recently. Purchased some B&W 603 Anniversary and the Yamaha Aventage-A1070 i had just wouldnt do them justice. I auditioned a few amplifiers but my favourite was the Musical Fidelity M3Si which just made the B&W sing and the HT mode was really convenient. Unfortunately the family objected to the extra button presses, remote and box in the lounge so i upgraded the Yamaha to a NAD T788 instead... Good but not as good as the MF for music.

D

Deleted member 116933

In all honesty just buy a much better avr, adding a stereo amp is such a faff to live with on a daily basis.

antham arcam Yamaha are the more music oriented brands I’ve listened too.

Samd

In all honesty just buy a much better avr, adding a stereo amp is such a faff to live with on a daily basis.

antham arcam Yamaha are the more music oriented brands I’ve listened too.

It was the route I took (Anthem) and it works for me particularly well with the added advantage that DTS 5.1 audio is a real plus as are some SACDs.

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
It was the route I took (Anthem) and it works for me particularly well with the added advantage that DTS 5.1 audio is a real plus as are some SACDs.

I suppose my concern is- My current Denon was £2300 If I was to purchase an 11 channel AVR which could stand up against a £1500 Stereo amp for music then we are talking at least £8000 so although a faff, for me I think it is the most economically viable solution

Reactions: ProgDr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts