How much do reviews influence you?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After purchasing a denon dm38 i needed some speakers, after a few audtions i got the mordaunt short aviano 1's, but im really struggling with them.
After some more auditioning today of wharfedales, missions, Q acoustics and B&W's, iv really fallen for the B&W 686's with the denon....i tired the 685's which do get 5 stars, but the denon didnt seem to be able to drive them well enogh at all, but the 686's sounded great compared to the rest.
What hi fi rated the speakers as 3 stars, and while i did really like them, the review seems to give me doubts......
I suppose everyone is after a different sound, so if i like them i should get them....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's a good starting point to gather info and make a short list.

Always trust your own ears and opinion or disappointment will ensue. :(

A

Anonymous

ditto cnoevil

Are the MS's fully run in? I was surprised how much better my Dali's sounded after 50 hours use. They started to deliver better base and nuances after a number of good sessions.

A

Anonymous

Yes, had plenty of use, and did notice a difference from when i first got them, but the 686's just sounded so much nicer....the highs on the MS are almost piercing, where on the 686's there was a nice balance, but still the bass i like :)

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, reviews do influence me quite a lot and I read as many as I can about a product that interests me. This at least gives me several opinions that are usually agreeing that the product is good enough. I am more influenced by the review for Televisions than using my own eyes, but when it comes to HIFI I go with Cnoevil's view that reviews only get you so far and your ears do the rest. In the past I bought a pair of B&W speakers and a pair of Quad's of a similar price. The B&W's won the day for me as they offered more bass and that bass was how I wanted it. I traded the refinement of the Quad's for the larger and deeper sound of the B&W's. So your demo session really worked for you. Hope you enjoy the system for many years

A

Anonymous

I know exactly what you mean...my kit was plagued with this problem I tried 9.1's on recommendation but they didn't do it. The Dali's have helped considerably and I no longer have to wince on various CD's.

I don't understand why this issue exists to such a nauseating level with some combinations.. It is basically a distortion which surely should not be so prominent and is not limited to lower end kit.

It does emphasise the need to audition preferably in our own homes, but I know this is not always possible.

A

Anonymous

I would also agree with CnoEvil. I trust reviewers to weed out the junk, but after that I usually shortlist a few products to audition based on good reviews from multiple sources. Sometimes nothing on the shortlist is quite right and so the process repeats.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FirstAid said:
I would also agree with CnoEvil. I trust reviewers to weed out the junk, but after that I usually shortlist a few products to audition based on good reviews from multiple sources. Sometimes nothing on the shortlist is quite right and so the process repeats.

Any interesting and unhelpful quotes on this topic, Mr FirstAid. Your last one was certainly worthy of note. ;)

So many people in agreement with me....I'm not sure I can cope!

T

the record spot

As reviews go, they're but pointers. Do some of your own research and understand what kind of sound you like, thereafter whittle your shortlist down to those speakers (or other equipment) that go more of the way to delivering it. Bear in mind the review, but in the end, it's your money you're spending and it's your mind you need to make up consequently.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Much like the others on this thread, when I'm planning to buy a new bit of kit I use reviews to help build a shortlist of items, prior to auditioning. I certainly wouldn't discount a product simply because it has a middling review in one publication or another (although, consistently low reviews/opinions would put me off). Even if only using reviews to build a shortlist of items, I do think it's important to read a variety of sources (including, the traditional hi fi press, blogs, forums, etc) - as we all know opinions on hi fi can vary markedly, even amongst the experts. The B&W 686's are a good example - whilst they now have a 3 star What Hi Fi rating, they are still amongst the recommended best products in another well-known hi fi publication. Plus, I think everyone agrees that good system matching can play a massive role in the sound of a particular product. The correct matching can lift what is otherwise a middling performer to another level. I would agree that it's ultimately your ears that count. The one caveat I'd put on the "your ears that count" maxim is: potential future resale value. There are no doubt various factors which influence how well certain products retain their value (brand cachet seems to have a big influence), though I imagine that there's significantly higher demand for better reviewed products. This isn't a comment specifically directed at the 686s, by the way.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies folks.

Totally agree with what you guys are saying, i have looked at so many reviews for speakers and have used them as a guide, but if the store hadnt hooked up the B&Ws despite me saying i wasnt bothered about them, they would of been dismissed.

Glad i did hear them and they are defiantly my preferred option so far.

I think the reviews mention too much bass, but as im finding the denon a bit bright for my tastes it might of levelled it out a bit for me.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This is one more classic example of we have different choices.. I personally did not like 686 and I sold them after a month or so and those were the early days of me into HiFi ! Never heard 685 but purely based on the reviews and feedback from fellow writers, I feel like recommending them :)

But, if you like 686 so much then they are meant for you.

I have a similar challenge with Dynaudio Excite X32 which are five star rated by WHF but the X36 were only three stars. However me and my friend, when auditioned them together loved X36 but could not really understand y X32 were rated better than X36.

So, ratings are only guidelines. But, when there is a black spot on a white paper, most will notice the black spot and not white paper.. Hence, I choose all 4 & 5 star products and pick which I can afford. I generally go one level above of what I can afford and see what I might miss and then tell myself that I owe myself the better / expensive product.. See.. the ratings / reviews do help!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts