How many HDMI cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys ,

I am a complete rookie, very green about HDMI connections.

1. I have just bought my 1st. 42" Olaf+Ludwig "HD ready ?" plasma TV.

2. I have placed an order for tha Sony RDR GX-350 DVD Recorder.

3. I intend to buy the Sony DAV -IS10 home theater system.

4.How do I connect the 3. Do I need an HDMI cable from the GX-350 to the DAV IS 10, and then another to the Plasma.To get HD signals (both sound and audio).

5. Or I should I connect the GX-350 to the DAV-IS10 with a co-axial/optical for 5.1, and an HDMI from the DVD to the Plasma for HD picture.

6.The Olaf+Ludwig is "HD Ready" which I belive is (1080i?) not 'Full HD" that is 1080p.

7. What is the difference anyway.

8. Anybody familiar with the Olaf+Ludwig?

Alternative route.

9. I already have 5.1 speaker system, what A/V amp will you recommend in place of a complete system like the DAV-IS10.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys again,

In addition to my earlier mail, hrer are the specifications of the Plasma TV.

HD-Grade 1024(H) x 768(V) Pixel Resolution (as written)

10,000:1 Dyanamic Contrast Ratio.

1500 cd/m2 Brightness

Fast 10ms Response time.

3D Y/C digital comb filter

A

Anonymous

Sorry 1 more.

Isn't the sony RDR GX-350 DVD an HD source.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The Sony GX-350 is an upscaler to 1080P and uses an HDMI connection. This could be connected to your TV via HDMI cable. The DAV-IS10 is also an upscaler via HDMI - this can be connected to a second HDMI input on the TV. Neither will play HD DVD or Bluray discs nor does the GX-350 have an HD tuner built in.

I'm not familiar with all the inputs/outputs on any of the equipment you mention but if you have 5 speakers already, the Onkyo amps get good right ups in the magazine - if you can get an audition of an amp you could feed the GX-350 sound/video through the amp to the TV via HDMI cable. Then another HDMI cable from the amp to the TV will carry the picture to the TV.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot.

I intend to buy only one HDMI cable.The plasma has only one HDMI port anyway.

Will this work:

1. Take the video signal straight from the Sony GX-350 to the the Plasma, THEN take the audio signal from the GX-350 to the amp via optical cable. Why should I connect the DAV-IS10 via an HDMI to the TV again when all I want is get video from the DVD to the TV and audio to the amp.

2. I read somewhere that the HDMI cable can handle only one (audio/video) signal at a time.

Much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

is 1080p higher than 1080i.

From the specs of my TV, can the sonys upscale it to 1080p

A friend who works in an electronics shop says that my TV can only upscale to 1080i.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The DAV-IS10 is a DVD player - that's why I mentioned hooking it to the TV. It may play more types of disc than your GX350.

1. Take the video signal straight from the Sony GX-350 to the the Plasma, THEN take the audio signal from the GX-350 to the amp via optical cable. Why should I connect the DAV-IS10 via an HDMI to the TV again when all I want is get video from the DVD to the TV and audio to the amp.

You could set it up by the method you mention and switch the unit to the appropriate input but why would you want to buy a unit (the DAV-IS10) that contains another DVD player when you already have one in the GX350? That's why I suggested if you have a 5.1 speaker set up available your money would be better spent on an AV amp or receiver of some sort.

1080p is higher than 1080i although there's an argument that not a lot of difference is noticeable depending on size of screen.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Damn! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!, I thought the DAV IS10 is an audio visual amp. Thanks a million. Now I know better. What Sony AV amp would you suggest that is as good as the DAV IS10.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'm making a presumption that you are not within the UK - the spec sheet for the DAV-IS10 may be different from the UK version (as stated on the UK Sony site). I'd check locally where you are for exact specifications on the unit. While you're there find out which home cinema amplifiers or receivers (depending on your personal taste) are available and then post them on here - maybe someone will have some experience of the choices available to you?

I used to have a Sony home cinema amp but once it was 3 years old it twice blew fuses internally to the rear channels within 6 months (£80 to fix) so I bought a Yamaha.

If you don't want to buy 'new technology' I.E. an amp/receiver that is able to handle the new TrueHD/DTS HD sound formats, let us know what speakers you have for the 5.1 set up.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

You are very correct, actually I live in Nigeria!.

A friend who works in an electronics shop in the UK, currently vacationing here, brought the GX350, though paid for, I have not collected it yet. so I thought I would partner it with another Sony product he was talking about ie DAV IS10 (VERY good sound and all he said).

I have a Paramount Pictures A/V receiver model no. HCS 5300. VERY GOOD product. Unfortunately it got spoilt.Couldn't repair it. Speakers are very good.That is why I was looking for a replacement amp.

You may be right, maybe I should look further afield and check the Yamaha out.

I wouldn't mind the 'new tech' but since I have already just bought the GZ 350 am I not 'limited' the 'mid section' amp section. I am open to suggestions.

By the way. This HD borouhaha.

Since I have an HD ready plasma. And I have (haven't taken custody of or tested or used) an upscaler GX 350 DVD, how good a visaul should I be expecting. I know it is not in the class of the Bluray, is the 'HD Ready" tag on the plasma referring to the Blueray/HD DVD tango or to the fact that an upscaler would make a 'dramatic' difference.

thanks

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The 'HD Ready' tag refers to the fact it will display a hi-def picture - I think from memory you said up to 1080i. This means you can get SKY HD, a Bluray (or HD DVD) player or some other HD source and the TV will display the pictures in hi-def.

In your case, the GX 350 will upscale ordinary DVD films to 1080i - you should see a difference but I believe a bigger difference will be noticed with genuine hi-def sources.

If you were to buy a home cinema amp or receiver, you would be doing yourself a favour by buying one capable of playing/decoding the new DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD formats - this will cost around the same price as an 'ordinary' home cinema amp or receiver. An Onkyo TX-SR505 is around £250 and can handle the new formats. If you upgraded to a Bluray player later you should be able to hear the new sound formats in all their glory without having to spend more on another amp/receiver.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Thanks once again.

Actually I am not sure about the 1080i/1080p capability of the plasma.

I WAS TOLD.The specs once again is HD-Grade 1024(H)x768(V) resolution.

10,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio.

1500 cd/m2 Brightness Fast 10ms Response time 3D y/c Digital Comb Filter

All their own words.

I will look into the Onkyo amp.Though I would have liked a Yamaha, Pioneer or Sony of the same range.

Thanks

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

As I mentioned earlier, have a look on the sites of these manufacturers you want to purchase from. I looked on the Yamaha site last night and saw some excellent looking, well spec'd kit. Don't know why it hasn't been tested as yet (maybe it has in this months mag). Although I am more than capable of heading to Glasgow and auditioning the kit for myself.

Narrow your search via t'internet and then go see/hear for yourself at your local dealer and then make the final choice. Your eyes and ears will ultimately make the decision for you (unless you're married).

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Dolby Digital Plus/dolby Truehd
Are DDP or TrueHD included? Dolby Digital Plus is the next-generation, "better-than-DVD" sound processor and works up to 7.1 channels. TrueHD is Dolby's current ultimate system and has been designed specifically to get the full potential from HD-DVD and Blu-ray.
No/Nothis what I found on out about the Onkyo and TrueHD etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts