How loud have you played music?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just a question, what's the loudest you've ever played music on your hi-fi?

I got home today and decided to find out with my mate - we played the Freemasons - Work on my JVC/Wharfedale system and the LED metre showed 50watts of peak power at one point (quoted at 8ohms) and my speakers are 6ohms! Then we got the SPLagramy thing out and at one metre away, it was hitting peaks of 119db! Oh, and my ears are still ringing! Trust me though, the music actually hit you in the stomach it was that loud!

A

Anonymous

not sure about at home but i've played on a 20+k system many times. Thats pretty loud.

ps: be careful with your ears mate, it aint funny having damaged hearing.

A

Anonymous

Gander:
not sure about at home but i've played on a 20+k system many times. Thats pretty loud.

ps: be careful with your ears mate, it aint funny having damaged hearing.

Cool! Don't worry - It wasn't loud enough to cause long-term damage - I've been to discos when I was a kid that were much, much louder!

T

the record spot

I dunno, Motorhead, Metallica, but nothing like the volume that I had in the front row of a Genesis concert back in 1982. Seats in front of a stack of speakers provided by TurboSound. Enough said...!

A

Anonymous

I wish I'd been there, I bet it sounded great!
emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

All HIFI will go loud as most of us know but surly it should be the quality that counts the most , but have been asked to turn thing down by the wife as pictures & windows are vibrating a dit
emotion-4.gif

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
'Twas a few years back, when I had my first separates kit, and my folks were out.

Dunno how loud it was in terms of watts and decibels, but it was loud enough that my dear old Mum managed to enter the house and come upstairs without me hearing. Then she was standing 6ft away from me and screaming, yet I couldn't hear a word.

I got the rough impression that most of the words were along the lines of 'If you wouldn't mind turning that down a tad, I'd be most grateful'. Well, something along those lines, but with more swearing.

A

Anonymous

I don't generally listen to music at higher than 95dB; to me, that is plenty loud! And yes, quality is the most important thing. I have found that the best systems are the ones where the music sounds so detailed with full of resolution, and it does not sound very loud at all, but it actually is playing out very loud, but because the recording is so good, and the rest of the gear is superb, that 100dB sounds only like 85dB, if this makes sense to anyone else.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
It is no problem to go loud with music, but you'll have to listen to your ears and justify what maximum volume that your system can produce its best sound quality.

Most people would enjoy to listen at reasonable volume level where music details are fully delivered.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dantan:I don't generally listen to music at higher than 95dB; to me, that is plenty loud! And yes, quality is the most important thing. I have found that the best systems are the ones where the music sounds so detailed with full of resolution, and it does not sound very loud at all, but it actually is playing out very loud, but because the recording is so good, and the rest of the gear is superb, that 100dB sounds only like 85dB, if this makes sense to anyone else.

I think I know what you mean. A system like a very powerful car with a big 'lazy' engine that has so much torque and so much in reserve that even one-in-three gradients don't involve a gear change compared to peaky, revvy little 'drama queen' engines that have to be thrashed in the red zone all the time to get the same power.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:
Cool! Don't worry - It wasn't loud enough to cause long-term damage - I've been to discos when I was a kid that were much, much louder!

Which is why (along with being a biker) I now have less-than-perfect hearing and think my Naim/MA RS6 combo sounds on the dull side of normal and have constant tinnitus in quiet atmospheres.

Take care of your hearing, you don't know what it's like to miss it until you do...and by that time it's too late.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
My system can go very loud but I try not to overdo it because of my tinnitus, which is no joke. (play drums in a band with a guitarist who insists on playing at gig volume at rehearsals - the tit) Can't listen to headphones at all now so it pays to take care of your ears.

A

Anonymous

I only goth the chance once (upstairs was away) but the arcam a32, on full blast, into a pair of celestion 551's for about 8 hours. You had to raise your voice to talk in the living room but the bass could be heard 10 houses down. Good party!

A

Anonymous

leenorris78:I only goth the chance once (upstairs was away) but the arcam a32, on full blast, into a pair of celestion 551's for about 8 hours. You had to raise your voice to talk in the living room but the bass could be heard 10 houses down. Good party!

I've never had my Arcam over -15db on 89db sensitivity speakers - it's just sooooooo powerful! Bet it was an awsome party!

A

Anonymous

I'm quite glad the celestion 551's have a cut out fuse and the arcam will also shut off, should it all get pushed too much. And yes, It was a bit scary at the time, but also nice to hear what my system was capable of. The only possible bogey was the gain on the mixer. I had to have a word with whoever was spinning tunes more than once!!!ÿ

I have moved now, hence the new speakers.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby; I am glad that someone understands. I work in the Car industry, and everything to do with hi-fi, I compare with cars.

For example, I always liken cables (whether it's speaker cables, analogue interconnects, etc) to tyres. Sure, any tyre with tread can 'do the job', but you wouldn't want any dodgy tyres on a high performance car, because the lack of traction and grip can surely be a problem - especially in the wet.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I think it is too much different between hifi and car audio system. It might not easy to find a best car audio system that can reproduce a hifi quality sound since the difference of technology being used in both system and different manufacturer and brands, also different purpose.

I'd heard some car audio system that was hooked together with power amps and huge woofers, able to produce amazing bass attack but lack of acoustic details.

However, some car audio system that was originally installed by manufacturer during assembly line usually have more quality in sound yet not too loud

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts