How long since you last upgraded or replaced anything?

idc

This is as much a testimony to the reliability of hifi and my set up gets used every day for at least a couple of hours.

I think the last time I upgraded anything was around 2009/10. So, my main set up of AKG K271 MkII, Musical Fidelity Xcan V8P, Firestone DAC and PSU and music by Spotify has remained unchanged for at least a decade.

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
Just replaced my Pro-Ject Debut Phono after 18 - 19 years with a Rega Planar 3, it's the first upgrade in years but all of a sudden I have that bug again.

I don't think it will be my only purchase this year :rolleyes:

Reactions: chris_bates1974

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
This is as much a testimony to the reliability of hifi and my set up gets used every day for at least a couple of hours.

I think the last time I upgraded anything was around 2009/10. So, my main set up of AKG K271 MkII, Musical Fidelity Xcan V8P, Firestone DAC and PSU and music by Spotify has remained unchanged for at least a decade.

Have you tried Tidal?

D

Deleted member 2457

My home cinema system is 12 and a half years old now. By home cinema system I mean my amp, speaker package, av stand and cables. Still got my first Blu-ray player too and my B&W XT speakers are 13 and a half years old and still got my Pioneer 427xd plasma TV - that must be 14-15 years old!

D

Deleted member 2457

Did have 2 LG OLED TVs for over 3 years but both got screen burn so just upgraded both of them for free. Did get a pair of AKG wireless headphones for the gym the other day though - very nice!

Reactions: buzz_lightclick

scene

The core of my HiFi is my A85 which I've had since new, since 2001. The Debut 2 I've had since 2002, when my wife bought it as a birthday present for me :). The DVD player I use as a CD is about 14-15 years. Ok the Sonos connect is only 10 years old. The only thing that I've replaced is the speakers - though I've still got the original MA silver 8is, but they're now doing duty on my AV system.

I've had to buy new speakers as the hifi is in the study, and couldn't use floorstanders. Went with are compact 1s initially because of size and money constraints, but found them lacking. Just upgrade to q3020i in December and I'm massively impressed with them - they're definitely keepers, so will be a long time before anything gets upgraded on my HiFi...

Unless I can charm Mrs Scene into buying me a planar 3 for some future birthday :D

D

Deleted member 108165

Everything I've got is under 8 years old. Got back into hi-fi around 2012 and everything has been bought new since then, TV and surround sound too.

High points: Panasonic plasma is a gorgeous picture and always has been, especially in HD and 3D. PMC DB1, beautiful speakers that outperform the much larger boxes they replaced in every way. Marantz TT15S1, excellent, especially with a Nagoaka cart on the end of the arm. Rothwell passive attenuators have given me more control of the volume knob.

Low points: Upgraded amp and CD player from entry level Marantz to mid-level Marantz at nearly three times the cost per box... couldn't tell the difference, but at least I now have SACD capability. Ortofon 2M Black... 2M Bronze is better. Mid price Project phono box... Marantz phono stage was superior.

Moral: Upgraditis in hi-fi can burn a hole in your wallet quicker than any other hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: newlash09

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I've done loads of box swapping over the last few years and really enjoyed it especially as I've bought cheap and sold for more (mostly) via eBay. Only time I got my fingers burned was with the gorgeous but flawed Roksan Oxygene amp/cd combo which was rrp 7k but bought for 2k from Richer Sounds about 3yrs ago. I then sold them on for £1500 as they just didnt float my boat enough to keep. With the proceeds I bought my Vincent amp and Kef LS50's which are 100% definite keepers. Blusound Node 2i xmas 2018 and the Powernode this xmas have been my only recent additions and im v happy with both. My vintage set up sounds fantastic and is all for keeps. I've had my MA RX1's for about 6/7 years and are really good even if I upgrade that set up they will be kept as spares.
In short majority of my kit is for keeps now

idc

It is interesting the lack of reports of changes due to equipment breaking down. That would be the only reason why I would start again and look to replace anything.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
6 or 7 months for me.

First was to change a Pioneer PDR 509 CD Recorder I was using as a DAC for a dedicated network streamer/DAC in the form of a used Pioneer N50.

Then a change of speakers due to damage caused by a house move.

I upgraded from Tannoy Mercury V4 to Tannoy Revolution XT6F. That will be it for a long time. I only upgrade for genuine improvements in functionality or to replace items beyond repair.

I‘ve still got components from 20 years ago plus in use. The way I see it is - good kit, is good kit. I’ve no desire to box swap for the hell of it.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I had my trusty B&W 602 S3, 600S3 & LCR60 speakers for 10 years. My Yamaha 765 AV amp for around 8 years and they are all still going strong. I’m not even tempted to sell them either.

I upgraded to B&W 603, 607, HTM6 & the 608 sub at Christmas and partnered them to the Denon 3600 AV amp. Whilst a good upgrade it’s not a huge difference apart from I‘ve got all the modern features and streaming with the Denon amp.

I bought an LG OLED 65” 2018 set and a Sony 4K blu ray player a couple of years ago.

I already have Sky Q so that should do me upgrade wise for a few years I think!

eagle123

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought a technics turntable a sl1200g i did listen to the technics 1200gr but thought stretching to the g version was worth it.
Suddenly have the urge to listen to vinyl rediscover how different it sounds.
My cd player a roksan kandy and a teac nt503 dac now switched off.
I did listen to linn sondeck and was looking at the roksan xerxes but the dealer frankly said they had to return one of the roksan back due to speed error so this made my decision to get the technics.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
OK, speakers are 10 months old, after 6 years with the KEF Q700. The Missions I had before that lasted for 12 years.

CD player (Cyrus 6) had been on the rack for a out 4 years after an Arcam CD72 that was 14 years old. But the CD player went with the amp (Cyrus 5) around 18 months ago - when I got the Primare. The amp had been here for 17 years.

I don't currently own a CD Player.

Most recent addition was a streamer received for Christmas.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I've spent a lot in the last year. I bought some KEF Q550s in the summer, and just into the new year I've bought an Arcam CDS 50 and an Arcam SA20. My old kit had had it's day, and was ready for the home in the sky.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts