My headphone collection/system and other bits and pieces.

idc

My signature is too big, so I am putting all of the information here:

Main system of internet - laptop - DAC - amp

4937178587_d0ab92c45d.jpg

with Spotify, itunes, You Tube and Grooveshark as my main music sources. The laptop is connected to a Firestone Fubar USB DAC (the grey box) which has its own power suppy (the red box) and that connects with DIY interconnects (see below) to my Musical Fidleity X-CANV8P amp. I sit at the end of the couch in the livingroom.

Anything in blue contains a link to a review.

Behind on a rail you can see some of my - lots of headphones. My collection consists of:

AKG K702 / AKG K340 (vintage) / AKG K280 Parabolic (vintage) / AKG K271 MkII / AKG K140 (vintage) / AKG K44 / Grado SR80 / Goldring NS1000 / JVC HA-FX-34/Panasonic EAH 500 (vintage) / Pioneer SE 305 (vintage) / Quadraflex 40A (vintage) / Sennheiser mx500 / Sennheiser PX200 / Sony DR 4C (vintage) / Sony DR 5A (vintage)

which have their own uses depending on what I listen to, when I listen to it, who is about. I also have a portable set up with an ipod Classic and a FiiO E5 amp (see review below). I have a second set up with a highly modified X-CANS again using the ipod as the source.

4947365505_6aef007c20.jpg

I have also auditioned the following headphones enough to feel able to comment on their sound:

Bose On Ear / Bose Around Ear / Bose QC15 / B&O Form2 / B&W P5 / Denon AH D1001 / Denon AH D501 / Grado SR60 / HiFiMAN HE-6 / Monster Beats by Dr Dre / Radius HP-TWF11 / Sennheiser HD201 / Sennheiser HD202 / Sennheiser HD595

The HifiMAN and Radius were loans for a week.

Finally, after various threads on the subject I did this to help understanding about headphones:

Headphone Sensitivity and Amplification Guide

and this review of the greatest bargain in hifi:

FiiO E5 Review

and finally a guide on making your own cables:

DIY Cables.

Paul.

Impressive stuff! Im curious which headphones you rate best for certain genres? Just wondering how you choose which to use. I assume when you refer to 'whos around' you have closed cans for when people are in the room?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I recognise that Fubar & Supplier
smiley-smile.gif

Doesn't that WD MyBook HD 'hum' a bit? I have one for my iMac and only use it for backups before switching off again. I wouldn't like that noise in the background when listening to music (even on headphones).

idc

Closed back for rock, or the Grados or the bassiest of the vintage headphones, the Panasonic SE305s. Mellow and jazz are well catered for open backed AKGs and the other vintage headphones. Hifi in the 1970s didi not do bass like it does now, particularly headphones. I think that was because there was no portable/youth market then.

My most used cans now are the AKG K271 MkII as they leak the least amount of sound and others do not want to listen to my music.

The JVC Marshmallows are a recent buy to use when on my motorbike. The PX200s are for travelling, the Goldring NS1000s are for on holiday.

The best looking are the Quadraflex 40A,

4884405471_3104b1d4a3.jpg

idc

chebby said:
I recognise that Fubar & Supplier
smiley-smile.gif

Doesn't that WD MyBook HD 'hum' a bit? I have one for my iMac and only use it for backups before switching off again. I wouldn't like that noise in the background when listening to music (even on headphones).

It is familiar isn't it
smiley-wink.gif
. I don't do much listening at the desk, so yes there is some humm, but I do not find it distracting or I cannot hear it depending on what headphones I use.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
That's a nice stash you got there.

Like the rail idea you use for hanging your phones on, I'd probably do something similar if I had the space.

Even though I've currently banned myself from buying headphones, I'm still curious about those vintage AKGs, especially the K340s, heard plenty of good things about them.

idc

Thanks Lonely Boy. The K340 dynamic elecrostatic headphones were from back where AKG were more adventurous in their designs. This Wikiphonia article has some cut away photos of the two drivers

http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=AKG_K340

and I would say mine are bass light. The treble detail and imaging is spectacular. One issue with them is they are quite heavy and the elastic threads used to support the self adjusting bands are not strong enough to survive regular use.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Very nice setup idc. Interesting seeing all of your headphones, thats quite a collection! Do you find the 271 Mk2 are getting better and better?

Sorry, another question - How do you find the Fubar USB? reliable so far? I see Firestone have a new 24 bit DAC out called I love Taiwan. Its an asynchronous USB DAC and looks very interesting for Laptop owners. Would you consider?

idc

Blackdawn said:
Very nice setup idc. Interesting seeing all of your headphones, thats quite a collection! Do you find the 271 Mk2 are getting better and better? Sorry, another question - How do you find the Fubar USB? reliable so far? I see Firestone have a new 24 bit DAC out called I love Taiwan. Its an asynchronous USB DAC and looks very interesting for Laptop owners. Would you consider?

I have not noticed any change in the K271s since I got them. They must have 200 plus hours already as I listen to music 2-3 hours a day every day.

The Fubar has been utterly reliable and whilst I have no DACs to compare it to, I am confident based on my own listening, friends listening including Fast Eddie and reviews that it sounds superb. I was looking at the I love Taiwan today, but I will only change if the Fubar breaks down.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
Thanks Lonely Boy. The K340 dynamic elecrostatic headphones were from back where AKG were more adventurous in their designs. This Wikiphonia article has some cut away photos of the two drivers

http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=AKG_K340

and I would say mine are bass light. The treble detail and imaging is spectacular. One issue with them is they are quite heavy and the elastic threads used to support the self adjusting bands are not strong enough to survive regular use.

Cool, thanks for that.

Adu

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
My collection consists of:

AKG K702 / AKG K340 (vintage) / AKG K280 Parabolic (vintage) / AKG K271 MkII / AKG K140 (vintage) / AKG K44 / Grado SR80 / Goldring NS1000 / JVC HA-FX-34/Panasonic EAH 500 (vintage) / Pioneer SE 305 (vintage) / Quadraflex 40A (vintage) / Sennheiser mx500 / Sennheiser PX200 / Sony DR 4C (vintage) / Sony DR 5A (vintage)

Nice collection of headphones.

I also own many headphones ( Sony MDR-CD 480, 2 pairs of Sennheiser HD595, Beyerdynamic DT990, Akg K701) and now Sennheiser HD201.

My first headphone amplifier was Meier Corda Arietta. Now it's a beautiful tube headphone amplifier Yarland P-100 (2008 edition, Class A, Single-ended with 2x EL84 Electro-harmonix & 2x NOS General Electric JAN 5670W).

Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62464089@N08/

I hope soon to buy Sennheiser HD650.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts