How long has cd got left

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

the last study I saw was a Pwc one about CDs having 5 years left, I think about a year ago. Cd manufacturer Im talking about, due ro rhe viability of the format and declining sales and move of people just to streaming.

Has anyone seen any studies which challenge that, contradict it, or support it. Interestingly if you extrapolate American music industry stats from the sales of cd, and it carries on its trend, 5 years is about right for cd. Hopefully as we will all have fast internet then, ownable downloads will be more popular rather than streaming then. And it will be cheaper than the cost of new CDs.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
They'll probably be around for quite a while yet as they're a convienent way of buying and transporting digital music files.

I still buy them regularly for ripping to my digital music library because they're such a bargin second hand. I've never actually played one in a CD player though.

Gray said:
I wouldn't take too much notice. Ages ago people predicted the end of vinyl.
Quite! And the interesting thing for me is that, despite LPs inherent flaws of pressing defects and susceptibility to scratches and dirt, they are still sounding great after 40 or 50 years. Unlike any master tape, or other medium which rots away with age.

A few CD were supposed to 'rust', but it was a shortlived issue - I think I have one bronzed cd which still plays. CDs will be around for a few decades yet, even when streaming is the norm.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam skipping the whole cd player and will go with streaming from Nas after ripping the CD. I think this trend will gather momentum in the future. CD's as a quality, affordable and easily available source will continue for sometime. But maybe the players will be replaced by Nas setups post ripping. And further down the line, the record companies will sell their digital collections online for direct download without cd rippers.

newlash09 said:
Iam skipping the whole cd player and will go with streaming from Nas after ripping the CD. I think this trend will gather momentum in the future. CD's as a quality, affordable and easily available source will continue for sometime. But maybe the players will be replaced by Nas setups post ripping. And further down the line, the record companies will sell their digital collections online for direct download without cd rippers.

I quite agree and do the same. The only silver disc played on my player are SACDs.

CD s are still the most economical way of gaining musical files and will remain sordid some time after their manufacturer ends.

Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

I quite agree and do the same. The only silver disc played on my player are SACDs.

CD s are still the most economical way of gaining musical files and will remain sordid some time after their manufacturer ends.
I didn't know you were into sordid CDs!

nopiano said:
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:

CD s are still the most economical way of gaining musical files and will remain so some time after their manufacture ends.
I didn't know you were into sordid CDs!

Damn you autocorrect, damn you! (see corrected autocorrected version)

When FM radio dies, modern, digital DAB radio will become the norm. The problem is, the day FM radio dies is a loooong way off, because there would need to be so few people using FM in order for them to switch it off.

Digital downloads is DAB radio.

I don't see CD production ceasing. Like vinyl, it will continue, but may well be on a smaller scale due to the size of the used market it is competing against.

I myself buy more CDs now than I ever did during the 90s, many are used if I can pick them up for a quid or two, but when used CD prices are high, or approaching the new price for a specific release, I'll buy new.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
All the main brands in the market still manufacture players and high end players still being produced, really can't see the demise of the format for many years, if ever.

Personally, I buy more CD's than ever, rarely brand new though, but if I have to, I will.

You just can't beat tactile.... I really begrudge paying £7.99 for something I can never touch.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Macspur said:
All the main brands in the market still manufacture players and high end players still being produced, really can't see the demise of the format for many years, if ever.

Personally, I buy more CD's than ever, rarely brand new though, but if I have to, I will.

You just can't beat tactile.... I really begrudge paying £7.99 for something I can never touch.

Mac

Well said, Mac! I agree that owning the rights to a format that might be defunct within a decade, versus a record or CD that lasts a lifetime...well, no contest.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm presuming high resolution bfiles can be stored and played via cd. If so surely cd has a very long life ahead of it yet, as it will just be the physical way of transporting the digital file. And what about the hundreds of millions of the small boom box style CD players that a lot households still use? To replace the sub £100 music system with a streaming only unit, assumes the owner also has a computer with Bluetooth and is adept and enjoys using the computer as the medium. Don't know if this will ever be the norm as buying a CD and sticking it in a machine seems so much simpler. And the format is yours to own and pass onto others whenever you feel, which is not possible with streaming.

jjbomber

QuestForThe13thNote said:
the last study I saw was a Pwc one about CDs having 5 years left, I think about a year ago. Cd manufacturer Im talking about, due ro rhe viability of the format and declining sales and move of people just to streaming. .

There are millions of cars with CD players in, so it will be a while yet.

The other thing is that new bands rely on sales of signed CDs after gigs to earn money. Take away the merch stall and new bands will struggle. I can see more new bands releasing EPs rather than full CDs.

nopiano said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Well said, Mac! I agree that owning the rights to a format that might be defunct within a decade, versus a record or CD that lasts a lifetime...well, no contest.

Ditto

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Oh well Mac..I downloaded a 24/96 of Roger Waters..the pros and cons of hitchhiking and I swear I could touch it....it was just hanging in the air in front of me..lovely.lol.

Hey, nice one!

Btw, I'm not knocking those who are happy to pay for downloads, it's just not for me.

Whereas Spotify, I love this product... it's great for discovering new albums to buy on CD and listen to albums that might be too expensive to buy.

However, if CD were ever to die out, you can bet the price of downloads and streaming would rocket!!

Mac

I do still buy cd's also..and prefer to own the disc but just wanted to dip my toe into the hi res thing..just because I can and already have the means to be able to do it . I am actually in the process of ripping my discs to nas...oh the space I'm going to save.lol.just kidding I only have around a thousand cd's but it's still a laborious task.And yes Spotify is great for discovering new music and to actually find if the album you've been waiting for patiently is actually worth spending the money on.I have actually found a couple worth getting due to some of you guy's on the forum...dead can dance. Anastasis was a recent purchase all be it another toe dip in the hi res download market as my local hmv don't stock said album....but again I listened on spotify first and then wanted the extra resolution from either cd or a higher resolution download which I'm happy enough paying for if the quality is there...and it is.lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts