How long does a tv calibration take

T

theflyingwasp

How long does the average tv calibration take? Am I handing over 300quid for 30mins work

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
If you choose the right calibrator, you will get the right job! It should take about two hours or there abouts..

Did you not do your research first then? Look on AV forums. They have a page, that you can check things out on. Then select a calibrator in your area you are comfortable with!

Cheers

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
How long does the average tv calibration take? Am I handing over 300quid for 30mins work

I was told 4-5 hours when I booked mine but that covers night and day settings for TV and movies and a 3D calibration, of course some TVs are easier to calibrate than others so time taken can vary.

To look at it in terms of time taken is the wrong attitude as you are paying for the expertise of the calibrator more than anything else and you would find it extremely difficult to get the same results by yourself. Don't forget the calibrator is fully trained and has kit that your average consumer won't have access to let alone know how to use, it's a solid investment in my opinion.

T

theflyingwasp

Thanks for the information .i Stay in the east of Scotland there is nobody near me except from a calibrator at Peter tyson

i have the Panasonic zt65 and oppo 103

with respect to mr Gordon Fraser at convergent ,has anybody heard of him he has been calibrating for years but wasn't on the list of calibrators on the av forums.

Also will 3d calibration cost extra

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i believe gordon is still around. Thought he was based in surrey though(Convergent) Any thing to do with peter tyson, will be a good recommendation!

Just have a little ole google, should chuck something up. :read:

T

theflyingwasp

If I'm not happy after calibration can the tv simply be turned back to shipping condition or reset the defaults and does this void my warranty .the zt65 is quite an expensive piece of equipment lol I'm a litte bit nervous about the whole thing

im using David katzmeier settings from cent just now

Peter Tyson does not offer TV calibration service anymore. I remember Son_of_SJ mentioning that. Most calibrators are willing to travel though. Check the other TV calibration thread. Son_of_SJ lives in Edinburgh I think, & Steve Withers the calibrator traveled quite a distance to get to him.

theflyingwasp said:
If I'm not happy after calibration can the tv simply be turned back to shipping condition or reset the defaults and does this void my warranty .the zt65 is quite an expensive piece of equipment lol I'm a litte bit nervous about the whole thing

im using David katzmeier settings from cent just now

Yes you can set it back to factory settings. You can toggle it back & forth. It does not affect the TV's warranty, so don't worry. :)

Even you need to check the other TV calibration thread.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I didnt say peter tyson offered calibration services! (Did he ever?) Just mentioned that he may be able to recommend some one in the ops neck of the woods. :?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Thanks for the information .i Stay in the east of Scotland there is nobody near me except from a calibrator at Peter tyson

i have the Panasonic zt65 and oppo 103

with respect to mr Gordon Fraser at convergent ,has anybody heard of him he has been calibrating for years but wasn't on the list of calibrators on the av forums.

Also will 3d calibration cost extra

Based on what I've read, you'll be in very safe hands with Gordon. I have no idea whether he offers 3D calibration. You can contact him and ask.

T

theflyingwasp

Thanks for all the information folks .got the tv June 13th so I will get something organised for calibration ASAP.

jr1948

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes Gordon Fraser is still around he does come from Surrey, he came to do my Panasonic 42gt50 two weeks ago in Kent.He does do a lot of traveling and i think he taught a lot of the guys who do calibration, he gave me a discount for being a returning customer,a great guy. He also does 3d but he is not a great fan.Timewise took him about two and a half hours to calibrate

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I was just wondering if you spend X hundred pounds on getting your tv calculated, what happens if you have to do a factory preset, do you lose all that money. :?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Peter Tyson does not offer TV calibration service anymore. I remember Son_of_SJ mentioning that. Most calibrators are willing to travel though. Check the other TV calibration thread. Son_of_SJ lives in Edinburgh I think, & Steve Withers the calibrator traveled quite a distance to get to him.

Correct, no more calibrations from Peter Tyson in Cumbria (no demand, they said!!??) and correct again, Steve Withers did travel from near Bristol or Bath to get to Edinburgh. Thank God for easyJet .....!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I was just wondering if you spend X hundred pounds on getting your tv calculated, what happens if you have to do a factory preset, do you lose all that money. :?

You'll still be smiling if you write down what the calibrated settings are, of if your calibrator provides you with a Word or PDF file that contains the calibrated settings. My calibrator (Stephen Withers) did give me the calibrated settings of all my televisions. Then if you do have to do a factory reset or some such, you can exactly revert to the calibrated settings. To save you having to plough right to the end of the other calibration thread, this is what a good calibrator will provide, these are the calibrated settings of the television that has the best calibration facilities of my four. the Samsung plasma.

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9038/c50g.jpg

Note that Mr Withers has given settings for both 2D and 3D viewing.

T

theflyingwasp

That's great having a record of the calibration settings incase you need to reset the tv settings or go back to shipping condition.i bought the Disney wow calibration disc I didn't go into the advance stuff becaùse quite frankly I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

two weeks after I got my tv I typed in the results that c-net posted on their website .i just hope that I see a big diffrence to what I'm seeing just now

happy to hear mr Fraser is still calibrating

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
two weeks after I got my tv I typed in the results that c-net posted on their website .i just hope that I see a big diffrence to what I'm seeing just now

There are two problems with copying settings:

1. They won't be right for your individual television (even if it's the same model and screen size) in your specific viewing environment.

As pointed out on the other calibration thread, you'd need to watch a television being calibrated by meter or have completed this process yourself to appreciate that copying settings will in all likelihood cause more problems than it solves. Small adjustments can have a dramatic influence on the picture. No calibrator has ever ended up using precisely the same settings twice, even when calibrating multiple TVs of the same make and model number.

2. The Cnet settings are for the American model, which isn't the same as the UK/EU model. In other words, copying the Cnet settings exacerbates problem number one.

The best advice is to either pay for professional calibration, or stick with simple calibration solutions like basic brightness, contrast, and sharpness patterns. If you choose the latter route, you should leave the white balance and colour management controls alone. As per problem number one and problem number two, you'll be doing more harm than good.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit forthright. I mention the above because the idea that copying settings is an adequate substitute for calibration by meter is a myth that should be dispelled. It's also a myth I previously bought into, largely because I didn't want to pay for professional calibration.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
theflyingwasp said:

There are two problems with copying settings:

1. They won't be right for your individual television (even if it's the same model and screen size) in your specific viewing environment.

As pointed out on the other calibration thread, you'd need to watch a television being calibrated by meter or have completed this process yourself to appreciate that copying settings will in all likelihood cause more problems than it solves. Small adjustments can have a dramatic influence on the picture. No calibrator has ever ended up using precisely the same settings twice, even when calibrating multiple TVs of the same make and model number.

2. The Cnet settings are for the American model, which isn't the same as the UK/EU model. In other words, copying the Cnet settings exacerbates problem number one.

The best advice is to either pay for professional calibration, or stick with simple calibration solutions like basic brightness, contrast, and sharpness patterns. If you choose the latter route, you should leave the white balance and colour management controls alone. As per problem number one and problem number two, you'll be doing more harm than good.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit forthright. I mention the above because the idea that copying settings is an adequate substitute for calibration by meter is a myth that should be dispelled. It's also a myth I previously bought into, largely because I didn't want to pay for professional calibration.

+1 and nicely put strapped :clap:

The most basic thing to grasp is that every TV and viewing environment vary considerably and TVs of the same make and model have tolerances during manufacture that can have drastic effects on the screen and how it needs calibrating, just as important is the light levels in your room as these have a significant impact on calibration.

As strapped pointed out even a basic THX disc calibration is far better than sticking to out of the box settings as at least you can get fairly accurate brightness and contrast levels and if you send off for a pair of blue filter glasses you can also get more accurate colour levels.

T

theflyingwasp

Hi there strapped fof cash , i totaly agree with everything you said.i knew that every tv is diffrent and 2 of the same tvs side by side will have diffrent calibration results

I think im just going to reset it back to the defaults and tinker about with the disney world of wonder disc,until i get it calibrated

I felt that the cnet settings were a bit on the dark side,one of the calibrators at the value electronics show managed to get the zt65 up to almost 40 lumens.

As for the colour management and white balance i dont have a clue i think id only make the picture worse.

Saying that just leaving it on thx mode with the picture presets out of the box was an amazing picture i noticed the diffrence straight away from my gt50

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Hi there strapped fof cash , i totaly agree with everything you said.i knew that every tv is diffrent and 2 of the same tvs side by side will have diffrent calibration results

I think im just going to reset it back to the defaults and tinker about with the disney world of wonder disc,until i get it calibrated

I felt that the cnet settings were a bit on the dark side,one of the calibrators at the value electronics show managed to get the zt65 up to almost 40 lumens.

As for the colour management and white balance i dont have a clue i think id only make the picture worse.

Saying that just leaving it on thx mode with the picture presets out of the box was an amazing picture i noticed the diffrence straight away from my gt50

I think that's the way to go. The Disney disc will help you set brightness and contrast up correctly. As Oldboy says, it's the best you'll do without a meter and expensive calibration software.

Let us know what you think if you get your TV professionally calibrated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts