There won't be a new small OLED TV from Sony this year, and I'm gutted

manicm

Nonsensical, why a 42 or 48 instead of a 55", especially hung on a wall? It's going to give you a much more cinematic experience, and they're about the same price really.

Unless you have a really small room.

podknocker

You need to consider your viewing distance and you would need to sit a good few feet to appreciate a 55" screen. This size is probably too big for most living rooms. Also, if you have the same 4k resolution on a smaller screen, like 42 or 48", then the size of the pixels is smaller and they will be closer together. It's known as the dot pitch and 4k films on a smaller screen, at the right distance, will look incredible. Bigger isn't a guarantee of better picture quality.

Friesiansam

There won't be a new small OLED TV from Sony this year, and I'm gutted
Saying you are "gutted", is just bloody silly...
Nonsensical, why a 42 or 48 instead of a 55", especially hung on a wall? It's going to give you a much more cinematic experience, and they're about the same price really.

Unless you have a really small room.
Not everyone wants a big TV, or a "cinematic" experience or, want to go to the faff of wall mounting. If you don't care about films, there is sod all 4k content to watch anyway. And, if you don't care about films or sport, most of what's left is just dross, not worth the cost of a big TV to watch.

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

Not everyone wants a big TV, or a "cinematic" experience or, want to go to the faff of wall mounting. If you don't care about films, there is sod all 4k content to watch anyway. And, if you don't care about films or sport, most of what's left is just dross, not worth the cost of a big TV to watch.
I've not owned a TV for nearly 4 years and watch all my content on my 34" monitor provided by my employer. I have my work PC and my own PC connected to it and it does the job. I sit about 2 feet away and get a decent picture. It also sounds decent. If I had pots of gold and enough space to install a nice sized TV again, I don't think I'd bother. Most of the stuff you can watch is dreadful banality and I think many people do other things now. The days of families all sat together, staring at middle of the road dross, are coming to an end I think. The TV doesn't play such a large part in many people's lives now and leisure time habits are changing.

Reactions: Friesiansam

manicm

In which case you're not going to bother with a premium 42 or 48" 4K TV anyway, but for those of us who do watch movies, as I did with my wife, then I still stand 100% by what I said, and the wall mount is not really a faff, and frees up space, assuming one has free wall real estate.

And as someone who frequently watched YouTube for various purposes I appreciate a good TV - and I've sometimes come to appreciate various 4k content when I think it calls for it.

You're painting everybody with the same brush - but remember many of us are not in the UK or EU hemisphere either.

Friesiansam

In which case you're not going to bother with a premium 42 or 48" 4K TV anyway, but for those of us who do watch movies, as I did with my wife, then I still stand 100% by what I said, and the wall mount is not really a faff, and frees up space, assuming one has free wall real estate.

And as someone who frequently watched YouTube for various purposes I appreciate a good TV - and I've sometimes come to appreciate various 4k content when I think it calls for it.

You're painting everybody with the same brush - but remember many of us are not in the UK or EU hemisphere either.
With respect, many people who do watch films and like a big TV, seem to assume everyone shares their preference, reviewers often seem guilty of this. We’re all different…

Reactions: manicm

podknocker

It's true we all have certain preferences, but I don't understand why anyone would want a stonking great telly, dominating their living room, especially when they could be sat too close to it, to really get the best out of the picture. Another reason I would never own a huge TV is because they can be a 2 person lift, to enable cleaning and the upgrade and installation of other components etc. I live on my own and although modern TVs are not very heavy, you'd need 6ft long arms to pick the damn things up. Anyone would struggle if they lived alone. Many people have them on the wall and I would find this really annoying, constantly looking up to see the picture. With your head level, under the least amount of strain, your eyes naturally fall at just under horizontal. This is why it's more comfortable having a TV just below your head. Bringing your head back to look up at a TV is not going to do your neck any good.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts