How Long Do Speakers Take To Sound Good

Dom

So, how long do you think it takes for speakers to "break in"? Weeks, months or years.
It seems like one of these rare hobbies that actually reward you for being patient.

Last edited:

gasolin

Some say they don't change, some say they do

With how much i play music i would say max 2 weeks, some say 50-100 hours like BØRRESEN

All new high-quality loudspeakers need a certain burn-in period. As BØRRESEN loudspeakers use long-stroke bass driver with natural rubber surrounds, the loudspeakers need at least 50 - 100 hours of actual music playing at a moderate sound level.

abacus

Pink noise is your friend here, place the speakers 1m apart facing each other, connect one of the speakers out of phase, feed a mono signal to the speakers, (Pink noise is ideal as it covers all frequency bands appropriately) you will then be able to turn up the volume loud (Just be careful not to overdrive the amp and speakers) without interfering with the neighbours as the sound cancellation will keep the sound low. (This is basically how noise cancelling works) NOTE: The volume from the speakers will not be low, it will only appear to be.
As to the amount of time, check in the manual as it is normally specified, if not then the manufacture has probably already done it at the factory so you can just sit back and enjoy.

Bill

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I had some fairly esoteric full-range drivers a while ago that took around 100 hours for most of the changes to settle down.

I put them face-to-face in close proximity (closer the better - cancellation improves if they're close) and wired one of them backwards. Put something fairly bass-heavy on (got the cones moving a good amount) and left them for a day at a time while I was out.

The first week of that, the changes were obvious. After the second week, the differences were much more subtle.

When it comes to PA drivers, I find the first kick drum hit at >1000w per driver will tend to break them in pretty quickly.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts