how does the Sony STR-DG820 compare to the Onkyo 606

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Up until recently, i was pretty sure I was going to purchase the Onkyo 606.

But now it looks like Sony have thrown the preverbial spanner in the works!

I am now confused, does anyone have any advice as to which of the two AV reciervers is the better buy?

I appreciate the price difference, but money is not an issue.

I would just like to make sure I purchase the best product.

Thanks for any comments and advice,

A

Anonymous

Well, one difference is that the Onkyo offers upscaling and upconverting, where the Sony doesn't. A second is that the Onkyo offers multi-channel audio inputs (ideal for SACD etc), where again the Sony doesn't.

A

Anonymous

I have the same query as the OP.

Been considering purchasing the 606 for some time but then having seen the price and suggested spec of the Sony had put that off to await the What Hi-fi review. With both being highly rated I still can't make my mind up.

I know the main difference is the video upscaling as has been stated but as this will be my first foray into AV receivers I'm not sure how much it will benefit me. I have a HD-DVD player which upsscales standard DVD and have Sky HD. Is the upscaling by the 606 worth the (around) £150 price difference? My TV at the moment is not 1080P though I may upgrade this in the next 12 months (other half permitting).

I'd be interested in your views.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We suspected this question would come up sooner rather than later! We'll have to wait until there's an official Group Test in What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision to determine the outcome, but it will be an intriguing battle.

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
If you do a group test, is there any chance this would also involve the Sony 2400ES? I know it's not out for a few weeks yet, just wondered if you're planning the test sooner rather than later.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
We'd be unlikely to include two Sonys in the same group test, and having the 820 and the 2400 in the same test would make the price spread very wide.

A

Anonymous

This is a conundrum. I guess the issue is one of price and the imposition of cost as the group criteria. It would be an interesting exercise to compare like for like in terms of functionality and spec and have the cost at the bottom of the list. Yes, I know that for a lot of people price (especially now) is a HUGE issue, but for a different lot of people a two or three hundred quid isn't the main issue for a piece of kit that will have to last a good number of years.
It's a shame that the 2400ES isn't available, but that's Sony's ***-up, but it is great that there is, at last, some competition for Onkyo at the budget end.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:We'd be unlikely to include two Sonys in the same group test, and having the 820 and the 2400 in the same test would make the price spread very wide.

I would imagine that it would be the 2400 and not the 820 that would be tested against the Onkyo. Remember the Onkyo is seen as the darling of the £400 receivers - best value and all that. The 820 is a lot cheaper and therefore doesn't offer things like upscaling or upconversion. The 2400 is more expensive than the Onkyo but offers pre outs for example that the 606 doesn't. The 606 doesn't have any model under £500 to touch it but I think that the 2400 could be the new Daddy.

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:We'd be unlikely to include two Sonys in the same group test, and having the 820 and the 2400 in the same test would make the price spread very wide.

A fair point, but I think I've previously seen group tests with a brand making more than one appearance in a group test. Also as Gerrard points out, I think the 2400ES is seen by alot of people as the pretender to the 606 throne; much moreso than the DG820. I personally wouldn't say a price gap of £200 between two products in a test is huge, but understand that you need to draw a line somewhere.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We will, of course, be pitting receivers of all prices against each other when judging this years Awards to work out the price splits/categories. Eg If there's a winning £400 receiver, is a £600 five-star one that much better? Do both deserve Awards? Which is truly the best value? etc etc etc and many, many more hours of debating, testing and consideration.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts