Question How does the Marantz PM7000n perform with the MA silver 300?

Sandy2997

Oct 18, 2020
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with the above pairing? I'm looking to make the leap soon, but I'm concerned that the Marantz may not have enough grunt to extract the potential of the MAs. Should I be looking at the Silver 200 instead?

manicm

The Marantz specs states RMS 80w at 4 ohms, so I think it should drive the 300 just fine.

Having said that the 200 is considerably easier to drive and WHF gave it a glowing review. This is what I would choose for the PM7000N if i could have a floorstander.

Last edited:

Willsmusic

Mar 7, 2020
Visit site
I have the MA silver 10s and have heard the 200s. Bear in mind the bass heft you will lose if you get the 200s. I think the Marantz will be fine with the 300s. You can always upgrade the amp at a later date. if you get the 200s and the Marantz you may end up with 2 components you want to upgrade before long?

manicm

I have the MA silver 10s and have heard the 200s. Bear in mind the bass heft you will lose if you get the 200s. I think the Marantz will be fine with the 300s. You can always upgrade the amp at a later date. if you get the 200s and the Marantz you may end up with 2 components you want to upgrade before long?

The PM7007N is not just an excellent amp, it’s a cracking streamer too. Getting an equivalent for 1000 quid will be hard, and you could probably get it for less now in the November/Xmas shopping season.

Just how much bass are you going to lose from the 300 to 200?? My guess is the Marantz will get better mileage out of the 200 simply because it will drive it better. The 300 dips to 3.7 ohms, and MA recommend a minimum 80w amp. You don’t see that much often from a mainstream brand at the middle range level.

The 300 may produce too much bass, it's pretty much going to depend on what size room you might be using them in and their positioning.
However the Marantz will drive the 200 better and these are perfectly adequate for an average UK room size and, to me, a £895 amp driving £4000 speakers just doesn't balance

manicm

The 300 may produce too much bass, it's pretty much going to depend on what size room you might be using them in and their positioning.
However the Marantz will drive the 200 better and these are perfectly adequate for an average UK room size and, to me, a £895 amp driving £4000 speakers just doesn't balance

The 300 is actually 1200 pounds.

Reactions: Sandy2997

Sandy2997

Oct 18, 2020
Visit site
The PM7007N is not just an excellent amp, it’s a cracking streamer too. Getting an equivalent for 1000 quid will be hard, and you could probably get it for less now in the November/Xmas shopping season.

Just how much bass are you going to lose from the 300 to 200?? My guess is the Marantz will get better mileage out of the 200 simply because it will drive it better. The 300 dips to 3.7 ohms, and MA recommend a minimum 80w amp. You don’t see that much often from a mainstream brand at the middle range level.

I feared as much. While I had no doubt that the Marantz could power the 300s adequately, I was concerned that I would only just be scratching the surface of what the 300s are capable of. On paper at least, the 200s do seem like simply a more balanced counterpart. I'm trying to make arrangements to audition them both, thought it's proving to be quite a challenge.

Reactions: Al ears
Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
I feared as much. While I had no doubt that the Marantz could power the 300s adequately, I was concerned that I would only just be scratching the surface of what the 300s are capable of. On paper at least, the 200s do seem like simply a more balanced counterpart. I'm trying to make arrangements to audition them both, thought it's proving to be quite a challenge.
Hi there. Interested to know if you tried these out and what you though and did? I am thinking of buying PM700n with MA silver 200's in a £1,575 bundle. Some say it won't drive floorstanders as well as stand mounts?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts