How Do You Normally Set Your Tone Controls?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well you have a system that suits your ears so don't touch them.

By the way can anyone recommend a decent CD in-car please as mine is dreadful...note to self: don't try to curry favour with g/f again by buying cheap, it'll cost more in the long run.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Well you have a system that suits your ears so don't touch them.

By the way can anyone recommend a decent CD in-car please as mine is dreadful...note to self: don't try to curry favour with g/f again by buying cheap, it'll cost more in the long run.

ÿ
I'm a pretty rigid supporter of Clarion car electronics. That or Eclipse. Coming from someone who's sold thousands upon thousands of pounds worth of car audio... that's the closest you'll get to hifi en voiture, really quite excellent equipment.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Seriously, for no more than £200? Is that link a good buy then?

I had a really nice Blaupunkt system in my Alfa 147, really sounded good. Now have an old BMW estate and the Kenwood I bought is low-fi big time

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Was giving you options for price. If you can go higher either of Eclipse's decks are really top-gear. Anything more is just gross overkill. It's only in-car audio, it can only be so good considering the noise pollution, divided attention, compromised listening space etc.

matthewpiano

In car will be my next purchase. The Skoda Auto Symphony unit in my Fabia actually sounds quite nice but the volume control is annoyingly erratic. It jumps in all sorts of ways when you try to adjust it and when you're driving its just too irritating.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
By the way I'm not interested in bluetooth, iPod connectivity, fridge freezer functions or anything like that. The sole uses are for good quality CD listening and some radio (FM and footie action on AM).

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
By the way I'm not interested in bluetooth, iPod connectivity, fridge freezer functions or anything like that. The sole uses are for good quality CD listening and some radio (FM and footie action on AM).

ÿ
Can't be avoided these days... the CD8445e is a really boss deck. Like I said in my previous, overkill is a real risk in car audio. Unless you dish out on focals or something for speakers it's especially unnecessary to unload too too much on the deck. Find the comfy middle ground.

A

Anonymous

Ha! I actually had a verrrrry similar Pioneer deck in my Nissan. Going back three years, I know this deck though. Honestly Pioneer wasn't my first choice at the time but where I worked didn't carry Blaupunkt, Eclipse or Clarion so I went with the discount!

Thoughts: Very nice, not the best playback for the money I think. The Eclipse has smoother more audiophile sound imo. The 'neer is a little more aggressive, but that's what the car audio market wants for the most part; very forward attacking sound. Still, after dialing down the treble and bass a notch or two on the eq it's extremely nice, and it's very easy to use. It looks excellent, very sexy but for it only glows the one colour. The eclipse has the ever important adjustable display. So you can make it glow red for your bimmer, or green for toyota etc. I know it's cosmetic but one doesn't like a tens of thousands of dollars car to be mismatched.

I dunno I still err with the CD8445. But Pioneer's higher end is very good. And not just 'cause I owned one.

A

Anonymous

liujol:Hi. Bass and Treble go hand in hand. But how do you regulate the sound (richness and warmth) of your hi-fi or home cinema? What dB do you normally set your tone controls? Thanks

Try this, no messing around with tones controls required...richness and warmth in abundance.

http://whathifi.co.uk/Review/Krell-FBI/

matthewpiano

raypalmer:Ha! I actually had a verrrrry similar Pioneer deck in my Nissan. Going back three years, I know this deck though. Honestly Pioneer wasn't my first choice at the time but where I worked didn't carry Blaupunkt, Eclipse or Clarion so I went with the discount!

Thoughts: Very nice, not the best playback for the money I think. The Eclipse has smoother more audiophile sound imo. The 'neer is a little more aggressive, but that's what the car audio market wants for the most part; very forward attacking sound. Still, after dialing down the treble and bass a notch or two on the eq it's extremely nice, and it's very easy to use. It looks excellent, very sexy but for it only glows the one colour. The eclipse has the ever important adjustable display. So you can make it glow red for your bimmer, or green for toyota etc. I know it's cosmetic but one doesn't like a tens of thousands of dollars car to be mismatched.

I dunno I still err with the CD8445. But Pioneer's higher end is very good. And not just 'cause I owned one.

Thanks Ray. Will do some looking and listening soon.

A

Anonymous

Some of the music I listen to does not need the aid of tone controls and some I noticed either needs a little more bass ( rarely) or the opposite. I also noticed by placing my hands behind my ears it captures the highs that's been missing. Is this the result of hearing loss,a bad recording ,room size or what ever variables you can think of? Maybe an ill matched system? Thks.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
ukadvocate:Some of the music I listen to does not need the aid of tone controls and some I noticed either needs a little more bass ( rarely) or the opposite. I also noticed by placing my hands behind my ears it captures the highs that's been missing. Is this the result of hearing loss,aÿ bad recording ,room size or what ever variables you can think of? Maybe an ill matched system? Thks.

Small ears fella

ÿ

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
My stereo amp has no tone controls and sounds fine that way. My AV amp has been left flat for 5 or so years.

I do use the EQ on my Velodyne subwoofer controller. It employs 8 bands of parametric EQ betweeen 15 and 120 Hz, aswell as a number of other filters. I regard this as a special applcation though and my system definitely benefits from its use.

In the old days I used a graphic to depress the high freuencies on Dolby B encoded tape played back with Dolby out. I also used the same graphic to reduce hiss on some FM broadcasts.

I'd say that all but the most budget Argos bought systems would sound better with tone controls set flat.

A

Anonymous

Do adjustable phono stages count as tone controls?? I know on some high end integrateds (mcintosh labs) and separate phonos (oracle, graham slee) you've got to "dial in" the cartridge. To me this is def not tone control, if nothing else because it usually involves gain and input level etc. and that often one must open up the machine and twiddle little screws to do it. Thoughts?

A

Anonymous

I leave them bypassed. Strictly. I use tone controls only to give some life to very poor recordings, but this happens very rarely...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts