How do you listen to your music...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
CD's ripped to FLAC on a NAS > UQ2 (digital out) > Hegel H160 using it's DAC > ATCSCM 40

It's that or the internet radio instead of ripped CD's.

Off topic sorry but are these the curved SCM40s? What do you think of the pairing?

Yeah, it's the new curved one's.

Mids and highs are immedately appreciated, natural and uncoloured. It's the bass I'm having 'issues' with. On many songs it's like there's nothing there and only newer 'hot' recorded CD's seem to bring the bass out (at lower volumes, say 30). On many CD's (FLAC rips) I have to hit 40 on the amp before the bass is delivered in the 'right' proportion to the mids and highs and that's ok during the day but not really an option at nights where I live. It may be that I'm just missing the port on ported speakers that I've been used to for the past 30 years.

Drums sound awesome, you can feel the kick drum and cymbals sound very real on the ATC as do power chords (at last!!!), both areas where my LS50 were a little lacking. Surprisingly the KEF's did bass lines incredibly well, certainly the impression of real bass. It's clean, musical and easy to follow on the little KEF's even at lower volumes.

I think I'll be keeping the ATC's and buying a pair of Yamaha NX-N500 for nearfield listening in front of the PC at nights.

I'm impressed with the Yamaha's spec list.

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/21183/yamaha-nx-n500-white-wireless-bookshelf-speakers-w-musiccast&source=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=YAM-NX-N500-WHT?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-b2wBRDcrKerwe-S5c4BEiQABprW-PCCwH0tx7VZQ-vUmFKy7pix1JgVb_L9bxSGtkAqf5EaAuJv8P8HAQ

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
CD's ripped to FLAC on a NAS > UQ2 (digital out) > Hegel H160 using it's DAC > ATCSCM 40

Off topic sorry but are these the curved SCM40s? What do you think of the pairing?

Mids and highs are immedately appreciated, natural and uncoloured.  It's the bass I'm having 'issues' with.  On many songs it's like there's nothing there and only newer 'hot' recorded CD's seem to bring the bass out (at lower volumes, say 30).  On many CD's (FLAC rips) I have to hit 40 on the amp before the bass is delivered in the 'right' proportion to the mids and highs and that's ok during the day but not really an option at nights where I live.  It may be that I'm just missing the port on ported speakers that I've been used to for the past 30 years.

Drums sound awesome, you can feel the kick drum and cymbals sound very real on the ATC as do power chords (at last!!!), both areas where my LS50 were a little lacking.  Surprisingly the KEF's did bass lines incredibly well, certainly the impression of real bass.  It's clean, musical and easy to follow on the little KEF's even at lower volumes.

I think I'll be keeping the ATC's and buying a pair of Yamaha NX-N500 for nearfield listening in front of the PC at nights.

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/21183/yamaha-nx-n500-white-wireless-bookshelf-speakers-w-musiccast&source=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=YAM-NX-N500-WHT?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-b2wBRDcrKerwe-S5c4BEiQABprW-PCCwH0tx7VZQ-vUmFKy7pix1JgVb_L9bxSGtkAqf5EaAuJv8P8HAQ

Ill trade in my kef r700s with you and a some money and ill have the atcs lol

Plenty bass for you as rear ported.

Seriously i also find some tracks bass heavy whilst other not.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:

Mids and highs are immedately appreciated, natural and uncoloured. It's the bass I'm having 'issues' with. On many songs it's like there's nothing there and only newer 'hot' recorded CD's seem to bring the bass out (at lower volumes, say 30). On many CD's (FLAC rips) I have to hit 40 on the amp before the bass is delivered in the 'right' proportion to the mids and highs and that's ok during the day but not really an option at nights where I live. It may be that I'm just missing the port on ported speakers that I've been used to for the past 30 years.

Drums sound awesome, you can feel the kick drum and cymbals sound very real on the ATC as do power chords (at last!!!), both areas where my LS50 were a little lacking. Surprisingly the KEF's did bass lines incredibly well, certainly the impression of real bass. It's clean, musical and easy to follow on the little KEF's even at lower volumes.

It may be a psychological thing. You look at these quite imposing (by standmout standards) speakers and imagine they'll deliver massive bass from anything but then if the track hasn't been mixed with much bass in the first place....

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:

Mids and highs are immedately appreciated, natural and uncoloured.  It's the bass I'm having 'issues' with.  On many songs it's like there's nothing there and only newer 'hot' recorded CD's seem to bring the bass out (at lower volumes, say 30).  On many CD's (FLAC rips) I have to hit 40 on the amp before the bass is delivered in the 'right' proportion to the mids and highs and that's ok during the day but not really an option at nights where I live.  It may be that I'm just missing the port on ported speakers that I've been used to for the past 30 years.

Drums sound awesome, you can feel the kick drum and cymbals sound very real on the ATC as do power chords (at last!!!), both areas where my LS50 were a little lacking.  Surprisingly the KEF's did bass lines incredibly well, certainly the impression of real bass.  It's clean, musical and easy to follow on the little KEF's even at lower volumes.

It may be a psychological thing.  You look at these quite imposing (by standmout standards) speakers and imagine they'll deliver massive bass from anything but then if the track hasn't been mixed with much bass in the first place....

I think you've hit the nail on the head. If it's not there, it really isn't, but if it is, you'll know about it. Adding a sub by the way doesn't suddenly turn them into a nightclub, they're more than capable on their own, but makes it even more obvious when the track has little or limited bass extension. I do think they need a bit of volume to come alive, and in my experience they are some if the least lifeless speakers I've heard!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts