How do you get 5.1 sound from Google play movies?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have tried through YouTube, through Google play movie app cast from my apple tablet to apple tv but everything is coming up in stereo only, doss PlayStation or xbox have an app for youtube or Google that will output 5.1 or does it only work with the Chromecast or am I missing a setting?

Was never really bothered before but with my uv collection being transferred to Google would be great now. Thanks

Last edited:

scene

In the settings in your Apple TV, have you checked that your setting for Dolby Digital is set to "On" rather than "Auto"?

Also, to make it work, you need to send the bitstream from your source to the Apple TV. If you're using AirPlay mirroring, this isn't the case and you won't get surround sound.

scene

In the settings in your Apple TV, have you checked that your setting for Dolby Digital is set to "On" rather than "Auto"?

Also, to make it work, you need to send the bitstream from your source to the Apple TV. If you're using AirPlay mirroring, this isn't the case and you won't get surround sound.
Also, just be aware, some Google Play Movies aren't in 5.1 - and if you've been unlucky and selected ones that are only in stereo, then no amount of fiddling will sort it out...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site

Have tried changing that but didn't work, also read youtube app doesn't play anything but stereo, surely not true in this day and age, so that would stop the movies I'm guessing? Really shouldn't be this hard, everything else just works

scene

Have tried changing that but didn't work, also read youtube app doesn't play anything but stereo, surely not true in this day and age, so that would stop the movies I'm guessing? Really shouldn't be this hard, everything else just works
Dumb question: when you're in play movies, does the surround sound icon display for the movie you're trying to play?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Dumb question: when you're in play movies, does the surround sound icon display for the movie you're trying to play?
I haven't found a way to play from Google movies direct to home cinema setup yet, hence question about Chromecast or poss roku stick cheapest option to download app and play direct into amp but don't want to shell out on another stick to find out it doesn't work

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
We get 5.1 playing the rental or purchase (assuming it comes with a SS soundtrack - it's shown in the title description) from either the GPM app on the TV, or via a Chromecast, or occasionally via the purchases section in YT. We wouldn't normally use YT for browsing/paying for GPM stuff. AFAIK the purchases section in YT simply points to GPM anyway.

The TV outputs sound via optical to the AV receiver and it shows as Dolby Digital 5.1.

I'm not familiar with Airplay as I have no Apple kit but believe it's more akin to mirroring than Chromecast style "casting". As such it may not be able to retain a SS track.

If you buy/rent a lot of GPM stuff I'd spring for a £30 or less Chromecast which will work fine with iOS.

HTH.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
We get 5.1 playing the rental or purchase (assuming it comes with a SS soundtrack - it's shown in the title description) from either the GPM app on the TV, or via a Chromecast, or occasionally via the purchases section in YT. We wouldn't normally use YT for browsing/paying for GPM stuff. AFAIK the purchases section in YT simply points to GPM anyway.

The TV outputs sound via optical to the AV receiver and it shows as Dolby Digital 5.1.

I'm not familiar with Airplay as I have no Apple kit but believe it's more akin to mirroring than Chromecast style "casting". As such it may not be able to retain a SS track.

If you buy/rent a lot of GPM stuff I'd spring for a £30 or less Chromecast which will work fine with iOS.

HTH.
Sorry, just realised it's not so much that you buy a lot from Google, but that your online UV collection is being transferred to GPM. If that's a lot of content I'd still go for CC and stream direct.

jaim67

Apr 19, 2022
Visit site
I haven't found a way to play from Google movies direct to home cinema setup yet, hence question about Chromecast or poss roku stick cheapest option to download app and play direct into amp but don't want to shell out on another stick to find out it doesn't work
Nvidia Shield Tv Pro,connected to home cinema set up,to get 5.1 surround sound for Google Play movie.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts