How do they test their equipment?

Just an idol thought.

How do speaker and amplifier manufacturers test their new products? I know B&W voice their speakers to work with Rotel. Prior to the Rotel connection I seem to remember they used Arcam...

Bringing it up to date: Do manufacturers still use certain amps/speakers to fine tune their stuff or is it all done with graphs and computer wizardry?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

Just an idol thought.

How do speaker and amplifier manufacturers test their new products? I know B&W voice their speakers to work with Rotel. Prior to the Rotel connection I seem to remember they used Arcam amps prior to the Rotel connection.

Bringing it up to date: Do manufacturers still use certain amps/speakers to fine tune their stuff or is it all done with graphs and computer wizardry?
Excellent question.

I understand that measurements are taken to confirm any differences when internal electronic components are changed, but, the end evaluation is done via a listening test(s) minus the use of blindfolds...

Reactions: plastic penguin

matthewpianist

I think it varies between manufacturers.

Seeing as Monitor Audio owns Roksan it would make sense for those products to be tested together, and the same with NAD and PSB, IAG brands etc. I think Cyrus use Spendor (though probably not solely), and it would make sense for NAIM to use Focal seeing as they are under the same ownership.

I would be surprised if most makers don't look beyond these combinations as part of their testing, but not for them to be the main test bed.

Reactions: Noddy

matthewpianist

Also, B&W are now owned by Sound United who also own Marantz, Denon, and Classe, so I'd anticipate some cross testing there. Marantz and B&W were presented together at the Bristol Show. Rotel is still family owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
D

Deleted member 201267

I guess these measurements are taken by computers to work out the best all-round performance.
I have asked various manufacturers this question and they all use listening tests to confirm whether the measurements taken actually produce a difference that can be heard.

Listening tests are needed, ultimately, as not everything that can be heard can actually be measured i have been informed.

Reactions: plastic penguin

jjbomber

Just an idol thought.

How do speaker and amplifier manufacturers test their new products? I know B&W voice their speakers to work with Rotel. Prior to the Rotel connection I seem to remember they used Arcam...

Go to a hi-fi show and the clues will be there!

I think it varies between manufacturers.

Seeing as Monitor Audio owns Roksan it would make sense for those products to be tested together, and the same with NAD and PSB, IAG brands etc. I think Cyrus use Spendor (though probably not solely), and it would make sense for NAIM to use Focal seeing as they are under the same ownership.

I would be surprised if most makers don't look beyond these combinations as part of their testing, but not for them to be the main test bed.
Also, B&W are now owned by Sound United who also own Marantz, Denon, and Classe, so I'd anticipate some cross testing there. Marantz and B&W were presented together at the Bristol Show. Rotel is still family owned.
Absolutely understand the likes of IAG testing all their in-house brands and Monitor Audio with Roksan. Years ago Marantz were connected to Mordaunt Short, so presumably they tested those together.

But the likes of Dynaudio, even though they produce actives, is more of a puzzle.

matthewpianist

Absolutely understand the likes of IAG testing all their in-house brands and Monitor Audio with Roksan. Years ago Marantz were connected to Mordaunt Short, so presumably they tested those together.

But the likes of Dynaudio, even though they produce actives, is more of a puzzle.

At Bristol, Dynaudio used NAIM. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few speaker companies did.

I remember Marantz and Mordaunt-Short being demoed together at the old Manchester Hi-Fi Show (CD6003, PM6003 and Aviano 2), though by that point MS were owned by Audio Partnership (who have basically driven the brand into nothingness).

Reactions: WayneKerr
Of a couple of brands I’m familiar with, ATC make their own amps as well as their active speakers, so they have capable sources to hand.

Sonus faber are often seen with US McIntosh amps, now they are under the same unbrella. Many years ago they made a wooden clad amp too (the Musica) but that is no longer around.

matthewpianist

Some more match-ups I've just thought of...

Harman Luxury Audio (owned by Samsung) owns Arcam, Revel, Mark Levinson, Lexicon and JBL so I'm sure there will be cross testing there.

Technics makes its own speakers so probably use those to test their electronics. Likewise with Linn and Rega.

Some more match-ups I've just thought of...

Harman Luxury Audio (owned by Samsung) owns Arcam, Revel, Mark Levinson, Lexicon and JBL so I'm sure there will be cross testing there.

Technics makes its own speakers so probably use those to test their electronics. Likewise with Linn and Rega.
Seems to be a mishmash of groups taking over other brands.

For numpties like me, who likes mix and match, I just find the whole testing thing interesting.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I suppose when all is said and done, that testing with 'in-house' equipment as proof of sound quality test results, will only guarantees that all of the kit that is being produced under any one parent company banner works well together. It probably does little or nothing to provide any meaningful comparative measure or whether another manufacturer's kit works or sounds better in any given set-up. - This can only be done by experimenting with different products in differing environments - i.e., those of us in search of the 'dream' combination and caught in the endless 'upgradeitis' cycle.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
How do they test their equipment? They play it by ear.

According to KEF, they use numerical design methods to create the basic speaker. They then use a panel of listeners to tweak the sound.

I have it on good authority that PMC design their speakers using a panel of experts recruited from local care homes in order to obtain that authentic PMC sound. (1)

Honestly, some speakers have frequency response curves that are so poor that it’s a wonder that they went through a design process.

You can measure everything that can be heard. The problem is interpreting the measurements. Evidently interpretation is best done by ear.

(1) I might have lied.

Reactions: jjbomber

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts