How do older 2nd hand speakers stand up against new models?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That's their max input.

The Cyrus 8vs at 70w would be perfectly fine
emotion-1.gif

I've demo'd them with 40w & 50w amps and they still sang very well indeed!

A

Anonymous

The Acoustic Energy Neo 3's are bloomin fantastic can't believe I snagged such a bargain. They have every quality, great midrange, great presence, huge soundstage, very clear, thumping but not overinflated bass.

Dan you were spot on with that recommendation
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Ah don't blame you, there are a pair on ebay currently being sold second hand, but yeah even brand new they are very cheap.

I can't even begin to really articulate how much better they are all in respects than my former BR2's.

I get the feeling if they looked stylish, they would sell for at least 500.00, do you?

A

Anonymous

Just wondering, how do you think the AE Neo 3's stack up to the Mission 752's?

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Just to throw my 2 pence in, I recently lugged my 7year old mission 782se floorstanders ( what hi-fi said at the time, the best speakers you can get for a grand) up to the listening room ( 2nd floor!!) at my local dealer to compare them to newer models.

Well, how can i say it, they were totally blown away by firstly the spendor a5, then more so by b&w cm7's. I was a bit gutted wishing i'd bought more wisely first time round!

And i mean, totally outclassed. It made me think of a rumour a few years back (from mission dealers) about mission over doing it on how much they spent on advertising revenue, they always seem'd to get good ratings and then went bust. Maybe my speakers were never that good in the first place.

jc

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Also i'm no expert, But i reckon that although the technology of speakers hasn't really changed much over the years, The materials that make up them has, kevlar, titanium, chrome, etc, and now from b&w diamonds!!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jc1972:
Just to throw my 2 pence in, I recently lugged my 7year old mission 782se floorstanders ( what hi-fi said at the time, the best speakers you can get for a grand) up to the listening room ( 2nd floor!!) at my local dealer to compare them to newer models.

Well, how can i say it, they were totally blown away by firstly the spendor a5, then more so by b&w cm7's. I was a bit gutted wishing i'd bought more wisely first time round!

And i mean, totally outclassed. It made me think of a rumour a few years back (from mission dealers) about mission over doing it on how much they spent on advertising revenue, they always seem'd to get good ratings and then went bust. Maybe my speakers were never that good in the first place.

jc

You've obviously liked 'em enuff to buy 'em and have enjoyed 'em since for 7 years. Not that bad then
emotion-1.gif

There's always something better somewhere ...

A

Anonymous

Lol it doesn't bother me but you are not so subtly suggesting that what hi fi were essentially bought off.

Referring to

And i mean, totally outclassed. It made me think of a rumour a few
years back (from mission dealers) about mission over doing it on how
much they spent on advertising revenue, they always seem'd to get good
ratings and then went bust. Maybe my speakers were never that good in
the first place.

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
yes, i know what i said, but thats what i was told by someone who dealt directly with mission, (true or not). And yes, i have enjoyed the missions, blissfully not realizing that they are totally blown away by current speakers of the same price they were.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jc1972:...blissfully not realizing that they are totally blown away by current speakers of the same price they were.

... and that my friend, is the road to hifi happiness ...

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:
jc1972:...blissfully not realizing that they are totally blown away by current speakers of the same price they were.

... and that my friend, is the road to hifi happiness ...

And financial hell !! that speaker demo turned into a 3 hour stint of different naim gear, culminating in a 60k naim system that was so good it was a joke! (thought about a big re-mortgage for a sec)

Am now in the process of putting all my current gear on e-bay and going for my last ever hi-fi upgrade.

If i can get 10% of what that 60k naim setup sounded like for 10% of the price, that'll do.

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
As i've said before, Be warned on trying to find that ' upgrade ' Or that extra something, Where does it end?? It's the naim gear for me, then subscription cancelled, and no more forum browsing!! ( for a few years anyway)

A

Anonymous

jc1972:Where does it end??
ÿ
I think I'm coming to realise that it never ends because the anticipation of what you might have is always better than the reality of what you do have. The smart ones I guess are those who keep the stakes low to limit their losses, or even better the ones who are able to find their level and stop spending money on boxes and just spend it on music. It is, after all, about the music isn't it?

A

Anonymous

it is always nicer to buy brand new ... however, when buying lower budget items due to financial restraints, I would rather buy 2nd hand (be it speakers or amps or cdp or even cables)

A typical example as of today:...

if I were looking at spending £7000 on a good pair of brand new speakers, I would personally rather have very close look at these 2nd hand older Dynaudio Consequence MKII speakers for £7000

they cost £18000 new a few years back ....

same applies to cheaper speakers ...2nd hand older gives you more value

another example ... I would rather take a chance and spend £200 on an old pair of B&W DM2 speakers than a brand new pair of wharefdale diamonds ...

so when comparing old speakers and hifi to new, current price should be factored into the equation

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i bought a pair of dynaudio 52se off ebay to go with my 8vs2 and i love the sound, second hand is fine if you dont mind the odd scratch or nick

A

Anonymous

dim_span:ÿ

same applies to cheaper speakers ...2nd hand older gives you more value...so when comparing old speakers and hifi to new, current price should be factored into the equation

ÿ

Since starting this thread I've been checking ebay and other sites and whilst there are definitely some attractive bargains, sometimes the 2nd hand gear does seem a bit expensive, given that you're taking more of a risk. Not always I hasten to add, especially when the gear gets that bit older - but sometimes it does appear that you can get almost as cheap ex-dem or discontinued end of line stock when compared to 2nd hand at 2-3 yrs old. My own CD player was ex-dem with warranty but cheaper than some similar 2nd hand units have gone for on ebay currently. Where 2nd hand kit is going for more than 50% of original RRP you have to wonder if it's always a risk worth taking to save maybe just over a hundred quid or so? In those circumstances, another option would be to hang off and get some ex-dem, refurbished or cosmetically graded stock for not much more. I appreciate with the more esoteric kit that's less likely to be an option but for those at the budget end like me it's a viable alternative, especially when one of three or four models could probably do the job and you're not absolutely desperate for any specific item.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
and slightly off topic, i found the matching stand 4's on ebay, not a scratch on them, now there cant be a catch to buying stands second hand

A

Anonymous

athenry:dim_span:

same applies to cheaper speakers ...2nd hand older gives you more value...so when comparing old speakers and hifi to new, current price should be factored into the equation

Since starting this thread I've been checking ebay and other sites and whilst there are definitely some attractive bargains, sometimes the 2nd hand gear does seem a bit expensive, given that you're taking more of a risk. Not always I hasten to add, especially when the gear gets that bit older - but sometimes it does appear that you can get almost as cheap ex-dem or discontinued end of line stock when compared to 2nd hand at 2-3 yrs old. My own CD player was ex-dem with warranty but cheaper than some similar 2nd hand units have gone for on ebay currently. Where 2nd hand kit is going for more than 50% of original RRP you have to wonder if it's always a risk worth taking to save maybe just over a hundred quid or so? In those circumstances, another option would be to hang off and get some ex-dem, refurbished or cosmetically graded stock for not much more. I appreciate with the more esoteric kit that's less likely to be an option but for those at the budget end like me it's a viable alternative, especially when one of three or four models could probably do the job and you're not absolutely desperate for any specific item.

I normally buy vintage (older than 2-3 yrs old) ... and can say that I am very happy with what I have and what I paid (£275 for my amp ... £130 for my CDP and £50 for my speakers)

I will continue to upgrade and will continue to seek older bargains

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

I normally buy vintage (older than 2-3 yrs old) ... and can say that I am very happy with what I have and what I paid (£275 for my amp ... £130 for my CDP and £50 for my speakers) I will continue to upgrade and will continue to seek older bargains

Yes, absolutely fair point and I agree entirely - my amp was 2nd hand refurbished stock and I still think those Mission 751s look like a great buy and I might well be tempted at some point. But the Missions are of the vintage variety. It was the more modern stuff I was getting at, where I'm a bit surprised at how much people will bid. I was watching AE Aegis Neo 3 speakers today following recommendation on here and the auction went to £190 plus P&P for 2nd hand units. Except you can get new ones for £239, with warranty, out of the box, and probably with cheaper P&P to boot. I'm not at all knocking 2nd hand and I really might well do it myself, just saying I've come to the conclusion it's not a panacea due to consumer behaviour which to me seems a bit odd on some of the auctions.

A

Anonymous

I normally buy vintage (older than 2-3 yrs old) ... and can say that I am very happy with what I have and what I paid (£275 for my amp ... £130 for my CDP and £50 for my speakers) I will continue to upgrade and will continue to seek older bargains

Yes, absolutely fair point and I agree entirely - my amp was 2nd hand refurbished stock and I still think those Mission 751s look like a great buy and I might well be tempted at some point. But the Missions are of the vintage variety. It was the more modern stuff I was getting at, where I'm a bit surprised at how much people will bid. I was watching AE Aegis Neo 3 speakers today following recommendation on here and the auction went to £190 plus P&P for 2nd hand units. Except you can get new ones for £239, with warranty, out of the box, and probably with cheaper P&P to boot. I'm not at all knocking 2nd hand and I really might well do it myself, just saying I've come to the conclusion it's not a panacea due to consumer behaviour which to me seems a bit odd on some of the auctions.

I have found that sellers on ebay who list items 'worldwide' tend to get good prices for their hifi items as many items are not available in some countries ...

I am not saying that was the case with the AE speakers that you were interested in

A

Anonymous

here are a pair that recently sold for £123.01 (only 6 month old) ... according to the seller they retail for £379 ? ... that is a huge saving

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts