How do older 2nd hand speakers stand up against new models?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

That may have been the RRP once upon a time Dim_Span. But search on Google - within 0.45 seconds (just roughly!) you find out that you can easily get them for £280, and in Sight and Sound they're going for £239. So to pay £190 2nd hand at this point in time stretches credibility somewhat. Again, not having a go at the 2nd hand market, as without 2nd hand / refurbished / ex-dem I would have kit a bit less good than I have now - not that I'm saying it's by any means great or anything, just that it's above the level I could have justified otherwise.

By comparison the one piece of kit I'm looking to change are the speakers and surprise, surprise, I paid full whack for them a couple of years back without even realising there was a burgeoning 2nd hand market. If I could swap them for ÿmuch older 2nd hand Mission 751s now, then I would do so in a heartbeat. Anyway, I'm just saying it appears not all the 'newer' 2nd hand stuff (if that's not an oxymoron) ends up being a bargain when buyers don't do their homework. Found that a few times when looking for CD players as well which is why I ended up ex-dem rather than 2nd hand. Please don't think I'm having a pop here, I'm really not, just saying caveat emptor and to get a proper bargain I guess you have to (i) be lucky, (ii) do your homework and (iii) probably show a fair degree of persistence.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
For the 109's I'd avoid anything overwarm as they already have a meaty sound - I'd suggest anything with good clarity/timing will partner well. In the past we have used Naim/Arcam/Audiolab in the office amongst others and all worked well - if you're going cheap n' 2nd-hand then you could always get a bargain with something like a Pioneer A400 or Audiolab 8000A, both would partner and power them well. With something like the Audiolab you could always add in a power amp at some point in the future for a substantial upgrade.

On the CD player front it depends more on the presentation you're after really, two of the best "normal" players (i.e. not looking like the Starship Enterprise and costing £10k+) I've heard were modded cheap n' cheerful models - We use a well designed but cheap to buy Denon from the mid 90's in our office, all the r/f shielding components ripped out and it sounds as good as pretty much any single box player (our engineer knew all the in's and out's of this process so I'm not sure what it involved). The same engineer who modded that uses an Arcam Alpha One with Black gate caps that sounds as close to a turntable as I've heard! Those caps are hard to find nowadays though...

It's part of the fun of Hi-Fi really, finding a bargain, something that gives you that emotional enjoyment - too many focus on gear and it becomes more about tweaking than listening. I make sure whenever we are done fine-tuning a new speaker that everyone in the office comes in individually to have a final listen with their own music - It's very easy to get wrapped up in detail when you're designing product but you can tell instantly when someone who isn't an "audiophile" listens if they're enjoying it. If so then it's generally right, if they say "yeah, they're nice" but look like they couldn't care less then you know you're not finished yet...

*Edit - was meant to quote "Postup" who asked about partnering equipment for 109's! ;)

T

the record spot

Any jobs going there then James, eh, eh?
emotion-5.gif

I mean, this business analysis thing's okay, but give me something I really enjoy anyday!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
The Mission 751s are still awesome speakers. Nearly went for a pair myself, but managed to find some 781s instead (The newer ones with the Keraform drivers...). OK they were £500 new, but I got them for £160 on the 'bay- and they totally embarrass both my B&W 601s3s and Mission 753s in almost every department. The 751s rarely disappoint, so if the price is good I would say go for it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:
To get the best deals you have to aim higher end, and then for less well known/desired products, far more likely to get a steal that way - if you search for Naim etc. you're unlikely to get a bargain.

How about - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-Ruark-SABRE-11-Speakers-with-stands-700rrp_W0QQitemZ110502118621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash=item19ba7084dd#ht_2357wt_1165

Or - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ProAc-Tablette-Reference-8-Signature-in-Maple_W0QQitemZ170454095893QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash=item27afdb1815#ht_8509wt_1165

For example... :)

Yes, the Sabre's are a lovely pair of speakers. I used to own them with Audio Innovation Valve amplification. Beautifully made too.

TRENDING THREADS