How do I connect my new turntable to existing speakers ?

KMD

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi

I’m brand new to turntables and I’m struggling to understand the best way to get it to play. My partner bought me it for my birthday and it was completely unexpected and of course it was bought without any research beforehand!

I have the Sony PS-LX310BT.

The only speaker I currently have is a zeppelin air which works over WiFi, or 3.5mm jack.

My ultimate goal is to get multi room functionality through Sonos or something similar.

I’m thinking I need to buy a preamp? And I assume I’ll also have to convert the connection from AC3 to AUX(does AUX mean 3.5mm jack?). Is that what a preamp does?

Thing is, if I’m gonna go vinyl I want it to take advantage of this superior sound they’re supposed to produce so I’m willing to invest. I’m just not clear what I’m doing.

Multi room streaming is a high priority for me and I can’t see any way of making that happen without converting wired output to 3.5mm jack.

I’d happily take recommendations on what equipment to buy to get me going! Thank you for your time!

Gray

Good news, your turntable has a phono preamplifier built-in.
All you need to start playing it through your Zeppelin is one of these:
Set the output select switch on the TT to line, then you can just plug that adaptor into the Zeppelin's aux input and away you go.
(For the future of course, the TT transmits to a Bluetooth receiver*, which you may prefer for convenience. But personally, I'd stick to using it wired into a decent amp and speakers - and I most certainly would not be considering Sonos).

*Here's the BT receiver I bought. This would connect to a line (or aux) input of any amplifier:

P.S. I'm presuming your version of the air does not have Bluetooth? Some versions do??
(I'd still use the TT wired though).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonestar1

KMD

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi Gray.

Thanks so much for your reply! Thats great that it has a built in preamp. Few. I was looking at ones that cost £200!

I just looked at the back, and it’s already set to TT. Not sure what that means though? What’s the difference between TT and Phono on the switch?

I thought the same about using Bluetooth, I thought it might affect the sound quality so will stick to using wired.

The idea of being able to stream to multiple rooms is attractive but not essential. Do you think that the zeppelin air is a good speaker to fully benefit from the turntable? to answer your question -I bought this zeppelin years ago 2012 I think. So no Bluetooth! I’m willing to invest in a new sound system, it’s been a long time since I splashed!

Also I’m doing some reading about turntable stands and how they should be away from the speakerscand vibrations. Can you offer any advice on positioning or recommend a good stand?

Also will this work from amazon to get it to play on my zeppelin?

Gray

Your partner has bought you a nice present. I'm not going to pretend it's the world's best TT, but it sure beats socks.

You can correct me if I'm wrong about this but page 8 of the user manual shows a picture of the turntable's rear panel.
The switch on the left is marked 'output select' with a choice between phono and line.
It determines what the two RCA plugs connect to within the turntable.
When set to phono they connect to the cartridge.
When set to line they connect to the output of the (internal) preamp. Line is what you need, to be able to utilise the Zeppelin's aux input. The adaptor lead you've linked to at Amazon is perfect for your (current) requirement.
By all accounts your Zeppelin has quite a good sound. You'll have to see how you think it performs with your turntable - I think you'll eventually be looking for amps / speakers.

Yes, you're right about the need to isolate the turntable from (all sources of) vibration.
A shelf, mounted on a solid wall is one way that some people choose. But just well away from speakers and never on the same table / stand surface as speakers.
Keep it well clear of electromagnetic sources too, such as those from mains transformers. (The cartridge is sensitive and can easily pick up hum).
Try not to let the upgrade bug bite you too hard - you've actually picked a good time - there's some very good value 'budget' hi-fi these days. I've only ever bought new stuff, but many successfully choose to buy secondhand.
Not such a good time (value-wise) to be starting out in vinyl. Retailers have jumped on the 'revival' bandwagon - price for new vinyl can be silly. Used vinyl is a bit of a gamble.
When you're ready, come back and tell us what gear you fancy buying - there's loads of people here willing to spend your money for you.
And if you did want to get seriously into vinyl there are some experts here.

D

Deleted member 108165

Thing is, if I’m gonna go vinyl I want it to take advantage of this superior sound they’re supposed to produce so I’m willing to invest. I’m just not clear what I’m doing.
You have been given some excellent advice (y)
Superior sound quality is a matter for debate, personally I love the sound, others prefer digital. Be very prepared for the snap, crackle, and pop as this is one area where it doesn't surpass digital. Sound quality and reproduction can vary immensely from one LP to the next. I tend to find that if it was originally recorded in analogue then it sounds better on the original LP, if it was recorded digitally then there's not a huge amount of difference. Beware of some remasters as they can sound worse than original pressings. Different cartridges can have a marked difference on listening pleasure... it's a tweakers paradise, but can empty your piggy bank rather quickly too :)

Reactions: Tonestar1 and Gray
D

Deleted member 108165

e, and pop as this is one area where it doesn't surpass digital. Sound quality and reproduction can vary immensely from one LP to the next. I tend to find that if it was originally recorded in analogue then it sounds better on the original LP, if it was recorded digitally then there's not a huge amount of difference.

I admire your ability to cut and paste!! If you can't add anything new to the conversation then don't bother posting! :mad:

TRENDING THREADS