How can I find out my network password?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Nope. The default password for the Adminstrator login is nothing (ie just leave the current password box empty)

Kindest regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For future reference (after this has all resolved itself).

Get an external backup HD.

Buy this backup software...

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Do a regular full, bootable backup.

After my iMac's HD needed to be replaced, the restore of the entire system (including all settings, passwords, emails, network settings.. the lot) was completed in 20 minutes back to an identical state to how it had been at the last backup. That 20 minutes was all spent having a cup of tea apart from a few mouse clicks to set the thing going.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I give up. John Lewis can damn well sort it out, they are the ones who have replaced my hard drive when there was nothing wrong with it which had all the details in. They can bloody well sort it out.

Thanks for all your help guys anyway.

A

Anonymous

a call to tech support tmw might be the best bet joel? i cant find any more info...

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
maxflinn:a call to tech support tmw might be the best bet joel? i cant find any more info...

Thanks for trying mate
you're welcome
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

For speedtouch 585...

username - admin

password - admin

click on homenetwork

click on Wlan::[name of ur router]

click on configure

encryption type and network key should be shown on screen

A

Anonymous

Don't know if this is still relevant, but here's a link to freeware software that will show you the wep key on your computer. Only windows so no luck if you use a mac. link

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Of course, there's a good reason why it's so difficult to find out the key....it stops someone else using your connection. Moreover, if someone "professional" has set up your router, they should have changed the admin password to prevent unwanted access.

Are you sure you don't have the router admin password or the WEP key? My Mum didn't know hers but after a bit of rummaging in the box, the key was written on a piece of paper. If you really can't find your key, I think your best bet is to do as someone else said and that is factory reset your router. The manufacturer provides this capability just in case you forget the password.

If you do go for a factory reset, it will also remove the configuration of your network too. So, it looks like you might have to invite JD round for dinner with an exclusive cheese board and carefully selected wines and get him to sort it while you relax and listen to some tunes.

John Duncan

Well I did have a very late-night exchange of mails with JS when he first wrote this thread, but I think he chickened out when I said "open a terminal window and type sudo rm -rf /"*

*HINT - don't try this at home

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
maxflinn:a call to tech support tmw might be the best bet joel? i cant find any more info...

Thanks for trying mate

JoelSim, pardon my ignorance but have you looked on the router for a little sticker which usually has the network password?

A

Anonymous

guys, this thread is about 3 weeks old, id say joel is sorted by now
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts