How are speaker cables usually bought? + a Vivanco cable question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have decided to buy a Sony STR-DA2400 amplifier and KEF KHT 2005.3 speakers. Hispek is offering the two together with 70m of Vivanco SPC79W speaker cables for £999.99 whereas at Richer Sounds I can get the two for £929.90 (£379.95+£549.95). Are the Vivanco cables any good? - I can't find a review by WhatHiFi (maybe that answers it!).

Also, if I choose cables separately, how are they usually bought? Do I just buy the total I want then cut it up and add banana clips (if desired) myself?

Curiously, the link below advertises the AW'08 winner, Chord Carnivals as £5.29/m, then lists a "2.0 terminated pair" at £44.50 - am I missing something?

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11568/Chord-Carnival-SilverScreen.html?referrer=ADW-Chord-SS/google/&gclid=COnXk-zdmJgCFU4g3god3SEnmw

Sorry for so many questions, but any help would be really welcome.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont know about that cable, but do you really need 70m?

Generally cable will come in a total length from internet suppliers. Yes you will need to buy banana plugs / spades or ailock plugs seperately if you wish to use them.

If you buy from a shop, they "should" cut the cable for you to your required lengths and then if they are a good retailer interested in customer service they may attach the banana plugs or spades for you(generally you will have to pay extra for airlock (QED) fitting). You will only need this connection at the amp end only. The other end can be tin dipped or left bare andattached onto the KEF's

REMEMBER if you ask them to cut to a length MAKE SURE it is going to be long enough. Measure twice and add 10% just to be sure. Also remember how high the speakers are going to sit and add this length too.

I have the 3005SE package and I run QED silver anniversary (£5/m) to these with banana plugs x10 going to my amp. Sounds lovely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts