Honest answer required . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been reading general posts a bit more recently, posing questions in my mind . . . How the world has changed, I've asked the question before, "is modern hifi the audiophile medium I used to know 25 years ago" . . . indeed, were we 'audiophiles' then or now . . . what is an 'audiophile'? Are we hifi enthusiasts or hifi hobbyists.

The nub of the question in my mind goes back a few weeks to a comment made on hear by another member . . . 'is music a medium allowing us to listen to hifi equipment'? . . .

An honest question begging an honest answer.

CJSF

SteveR750

Isn't all that matters is that it's enjoyable? Whether its for music or the equipment it really doesnt't matter. I perosnally have never subscribed and get irritated by the all the gear no idea critics. Yer pays yer money yer takes yer choice. It just happens to be fun to discuss and debate ones observations, but fundamentally it's all very trivial and unimportant, modern humans are lucky to have the freedom to be amused and titillated.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
While I find it fascinating understanding and experiencing all the variables that affect sound quality, in reality if I had the choice I wish it was simple to get the best sound quality (not to mention less time consuming). I'd much rather just enjoy music than faff and fuss, but sadly it's not that simple. If you're a perfectionist by nature this hobby will test it to the nth degree. Whether you see that as a blessing or a curse is up to you

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Gibs_MK said:
While I find it fascinating understanding and experiencing all the variables that affect sound quality, in reality if I had the choice I wish it was simple to get the best sound quality (not to mention less time consuming). I'd much rather just enjoy music than faff and fuss, but sadly it's not that simple. If you're a perfectionist by nature this hobby will test it to the nth degree. Whether you see that as a blessing or a curse is up to you

Do you not think that the 'faff and fuss' is all part of it though!?

I understand where you're coming from regarding simplicity, but I think that's more in the way of how we consume music, not how it sounds... For me, personally, I find it irritating just how many different ways you could listen to one track of an artist you like, it's the same with TV and internet - yet there's still more room on the market for new products that try and do everything.

Mad world!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Isn't all that matters is that it's enjoyable? Whether its for music or the equipment it really doesnt't matter. I perosnally have never subscribed and get irritated by the all the gear no idea critics. Yer pays yer money yer takes yer choice. It just happens to be fun to discuss and debate ones observations, but fundamentally it's all very trivial and unimportant, modern humans are lucky to have the freedom to be amused and titillated.

Yes in agreement with you SteveR750 . . . however, as you say, we do like to discuss on many levels about many things said 'the walrus to the carpenter' . . . it’s the 'shouting down' that gets me a little frustrated . . . ! I have a view and personally I am happy to agree to disagree, 'thats life' as they say . . . ?

CJSF

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I tend not to use the term 'audiophile' I find it has the propensity to invite snobby remarks from those can afford kit from a higher end of the market, or those that know every intricate detail of how they work. I really enjoy music and I enjoy building a machine within my budget to facilitate that hobby.

I also think particularly in the UK with have an obsession with giving everything a label. Music is my passion, 'Hi-Fi' is a hobby.

CJSF said:
I’ve been reading general posts a bit more recently, posing questions in my mind . . . How the world has changed, I've asked the question before, "is modern hifi the audiophile medium I used to know 25 years ago" . . . indeed, were we 'audiophiles' then or now . . . what is an 'audiophile'? Are we hifi enthusiasts or hifi hobbyists. The nub of the question in my mind goes back a few weeks to a comment made on hear by another member . . . 'is music a medium allowing us to listen to hifi equipment'? . . . An honest question begging an honest answer. CJSF

Such sweeping questions: The process of listening to music hasn't changed. What is different is the plethora of new formats which can make, old dinosaurs like me, totally baffled.

Perhaps, though, because of the simplicity on how music conveyed now, it is less fun i.e. lack of knobs, flashing lights etc....

Can only work with the tools you have at your disposal.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I tend not to use the term 'audiophile' I find it has the propensity to invite snobby remarks from those can afford kit from a higher end of the market, or those that know every intricate detail of how they work. I really enjoy music and I enjoy building a machine within my budget to facilitate that hobby.

I also think particularly in the UK with have an obsession with giving everything a label. Music is my passion, 'Hi-Fi' is a hobby.

A truly honest answer, I will agree with; 'within my budget', 'enjoy music', 'pasion', 'hifi is a hobby' . . . spoken from the heart . . . :clap:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Such sweeping questions: The process of listening to music hasn't changed. What is different is the plethora of new formats which can make, old dinosaurs like me, totally baffled.

Perhaps, though, because of the simplicity on how music conveyed now, it is less fun i.e. lack of knobs, flashing lights etc....

Deliberately sweeping and open ended PP, lots of scope. The early answers are revealing . . . including yours . . . I'm defiantly a member of the 'old dinosaurs club'. 'Less fun' is a good point? although it seems to me there are to many knobs and light, for my tast? In my heyday, we had no lights and very few knobs, the screw driver and spanner ruled then. Dim lights, a pint or three and some superb recordings. Thankfully I still have most of these 'recording and tools at my disposal' . . .

:cheers: CJSF

A

Anonymous

CJSF said:
The nub of the question in my mind goes back a few weeks to a comment made on hear by another member . . . 'is music a medium allowing us to listen to hifi equipment'? . . . An honest question begging an honest answer. CJSF

Well, as for me it's simple. :rockout: Read my signature... :boohoo:

Juzzie Wuzzie

I think some of the 'fun' has left listening to music. Like, getting up, grabbing a CD, putting it in the player, pressing play, sitting on the couch to listen as you read the CD insert sleeve. Now we just want to remain seated on the couch, press a button on the remote, and digitally 'beam' our music to the speakers. A sign of the laziness in our society?

I'm looking forward (when house space permits) to going 'old school' and getting a turn table, and some vinyl and reliving my youth.

Music is suffering as shaving does - the iPod is the electric shaver to vinyl's razor blade.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Now we just want to remain seated on the couch, press a button on the remote, and digitally 'beam' our music to the speakers. A sign of the laziness in our society?

Was it 'laziness' when nine decades of listeners just turned a knob/pressed a button on a radio and sat back to listen?

About 80 percent of my listening is radio in one form or another. (Including good old FM via a proper roof aerial.)

Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Music is suffering as shaving does - the iPod is the electric shaver to vinyl's razor blade.

And yet I count four (five?) iThings in your signature.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't consider myself an audiophile.

But what I really enjoy is the production. What I'm listening to is how much of a picture the producers can eek out of an artist rendition of their songs. The equ becomes invisible when music 'sounds right' on any system.

a well sorted budget set up will imo match an an all bells and whistles reference system, in terms of musicality, detail, 3dness, texture, ambience, even power. If it can portray an image you can close your eyes and dive into, wrap yourself in then its all good. Thats what all my tweaking is all about.

The black art of creating a sonic picture

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Talking purely from a personal perspective, I can't sit back, relax and listen to the music, if the system sounds wrong (to me), or has no synergy.....because it ruins the enjoyment.

The knowledge I've gained over the years helps me understand what equipment to buy, and how to get the most out of it.

Does this make me an Audiophile.....gawd I hate that word. |(

SteveR750

plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:
I’ve been reading general posts a bit more recently, posing questions in my mind . . . How the world has changed, I've asked the question before, "is modern hifi the audiophile medium I used to know 25 years ago" . . . indeed, were we 'audiophiles' then or now . . . what is an 'audiophile'? Are we hifi enthusiasts or hifi hobbyists. The nub of the question in my mind goes back a few weeks to a comment made on hear by another member . . . 'is music a medium allowing us to listen to hifi equipment'? . . . An honest question begging an honest answer. CJSF

OT, but this is one reason why I also like the A38, it looks like a "proper" amp! I happily admit that I have two hobbies, music and hi fi. Allthough they have a huge amount of crossover, there are significant portions of each interest that do not overlap.

Juzzie Wuzzie

@Chebby - I never said I wasn't guilty of the digital format. I too listen mostly to (internet) radio, but was trying to convey the holistic change to a more sedentary world. In the 'old days' of listening to the radio, it probably followed a long hard day's work by all members of the family.

Rest assured, most of my 'Apple' listening is done either on the way to sport, or in the gym. Would love a turntable though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts